Why was Trap-M1 not buffed int he recnect BURSTFIRE weapon buff?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by hellomumbo369, Jul 30, 2015.

1. hellomumbo369

Isn't it a burstfire weapon as well? Is it getting tweaked later? Am I an just an idiot who didn't see the change? It really needs a buff ;_;
  2. hellomumbo369

Btw, sorry about the butchered title, only just noticed *facepalm*
  3. OldMaster80

Well the Trap hasn't been buffed because it already works pretty well even if many claim it's bad. The only thing that could use a change is the single fire mode: that deals really too low damage.
  4. Ballto21

i honestly think the trap is a fantastic wepon

it should be reclassed as a scout rifle, but its a damn good one imo up there with the sabr
    • Up x 1
  5. FieldMarshall

Wasent buffed because they forgot it existed.
  6. Eternaloptimist

In fact, I don't think any weapon that includes a burst selector just as as an option got buffed - at least not he auto weapons. I guess the TRAP fell into that category
  7. FateJH

What Burst weapon variants were modified again? I thought they only changed Carbines and Assault Rifles.
  8. Liewec123

how would you buff a weapon that kills in 2 clicks? (without any head shots too)

personally i love TRAP,

i have a TR infil who exclusively uses it.
    my char is fairly new but i have 244 kills with TRAP, only 19 with any other gun (RAMS).

the only conceivable buff i could see would be an ammo increase (it does run empty pretty fast if you have a good spot)
    and maybe reduce the pull to the right, but that would take some getting used to for those of us that would end up overcompensating since we've gotten used to the pull! :)
  9. ZDarkShadowsZ

The TRAP is a great weapon as it is. I see a fair amount of people say that it's a bad weapon but I always find it a great challenge to prove anyone who says that wrong. It's silly that it was named a sniper rifle. In my personal opinion it's a terrible sniper rifle but it's a great scout rifle. Once you learn to flank with it, that's when it really shines.
    • Up x 1
  10. Stigma

The TRAP has nothing you'd want to use currently. It's 3-round feature is a trap - it absolutely ruins any semblance of accuracy the weapon had and essentially should never be used - and at longer ranges something like a KSR betters the TRAPs damage and does so in a single bullet making it infinitely more reliable since you can do point-shots with it rather than continually tracking moving targets.

An auto-scout is a much better (and easier to use) weapon in short-to-medium ranges, and remains effective out to the same sorts of ranges that the TRAP is (which isn't very far...)

Add to that low ammo and excruciating reload and you've got yourself a non-starter.

Is it UNUSABLE? No... there just isn't anything you can do with it that you can't do better and easier with other common weapon options.

It certainly could use rewamp-pass for the exact same reasons that the bust rifles and carbines did.

-Stigma
  11. Dualice

It was the burst carbines and assault rifles they were looking at specifically, I believe.

The TRAP is a really nice scout rifle, agreed, but it's not without its flaws. It is by no stretch of the imagination a sniper rifle. I also think the recoil could be toned down just a fraction, and 21 or 24 rounds in a mag wouldn't hurt either.
  12. eldarfalcongravtank

they already missed their opportunity to make the TRAP a really cool and unique 3-round-burst low-recoil (so all bullets hit almost the same spot) TR sniper rifle
  13. pnkdth

I use it all the time. You can end people real quick at close/closer mid range with it. Alternating between the various fire modes is what makes this weapon good, mostly sticking to 2 and 3 burst mode since engaging at distances where the 1 burst mode works the weapon isn't really in its element, and the 2 burst mode is not hard to control.

It is the best scout rifle in the game. I consider it better than the full auto scout rifles. I use it suppressed and forward grip. It is extremely quiet, which helps a lot, and when outflanking opposing factions you can cause a lot of damage simply by virtue of no one realising you're there.

Much like the SABR though, it is a weapon that won't suit everyone... And considering every infiltrator weapon available are so similar it is really nice to have a weapon that stands out. Basically, I am damn happy SOE/DBG hasn't caved to the crowd who want just another sniper rifle.
    • Up x 1
  14. Villanuk

As wrel said, the Trap is pointless, although that can depend on your game play, but yes its pathetic.
  15. Stigma

Well, its sound profile is probably the only remarkable part about the weapon, but its not because it's "quiet" lol ... its because the weapon sound is just bugged. Regardless of fire-mode it only plays the sound for a single bullet (while suppressed).

What I mean by the 3-bullet mode being near useless is that it is has such hard recoil on that third bullet that you stop being able to make precise shots in that mode - and with some decent proficiency with any accurate weapon you should always be rather going for headshots if you are close enough that you can group the 3-burst on a body anyway (and that 3-burst is way to inaccurate to do headshots with, almost regardless of range).

Besides, your refire time is slowed so much by it that it doesn't seem to help your total DPS much anyway - especially when it makes some shots to off-target. It's just a way too harsh penalty for a meagre benefit.

I think it's pretty telling that I can't recall the last time I saw teammates using this weapon (or ever? being killed by it when playing VS or NC). It is usually fairly indicative of the usefulness of a weapon.

-Stigma
  16. MasterTater

Because it is a great weapon just as it is now.

It is a weapon from the sniper class (Scoutrifle) and not a carbine or assault.

VS could also ask why the Lasher does not get buffed when going about LMG.
  17. Stigma

I think you've misunderstood... the goal wasn't to buff carbines and assault rifles. They buffed burst weapons because they have generally been undesireable, unperforming and underused. Burst weapons have some inherent traits that make them harder to use than full-auto weapons - and apparently the balance tradeoff that DBG had been using to compensate for that so far has been woefully insufficient so they revised both the amount and character of how burst weapons behave.

It then makes all the sense in the world to apply this consistently across the weapon categories. because all of the burst weapons have generally been usffering from the same sorts of problems (aside from some very special cases like the burst mode on the jackhammer).

-Stigma
  18. hellomumbo369

don't get me wrong, i love the trap myself but it can be a frustrating weapon all the same. If you miss one shell the ttk increases exponentially and with the very high recoil, you miss a fair bit if you are a casual scrub like me :p