Why the heck do weapons have CoF while AIMING?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by HAXTIME, May 12, 2015.

1. Dowlphin

Could those reasons be related to nanites?
    • Up x 2
  2. UnDeaD_CyBorG

It's always funny when someone comes in with an argument more or less starting with "but in reality...".
    In Reality, continents are way larger than four square kilometers, and people don't magically disappear at 300 or so.
    As such, all projectiles in the game are a bit slower, maybe drop a bit more, and yes, the guns are a bit less accurate.
    Just multiply the engagement range by five in your head and you're getting there.
    For the same reasons, shotguns in games have way larger spread and somehow deal outrageous damage to everything, and grenades bounce like they were made of rubbercoated styrofoam.
    And something else the game doesn't simulate is fatigue, and degrading accuracy due to barrel wear, overheating, dirt, etc.
    Or weapon jams.
    Games work on a level of abstraction, and precisely because this is not ARMA, they should have a Cone of Fire.
    Just like they have arbitrary long and short reloads that aren't really explained by the model (maybe some weapons come with really heavy gloves?).
  3. ColonelChingles

Why can't it be ARMA? I mean ARMA is a game as well and fairly popular to boot. ARMA 2 sold 2.3 million copies and the newer ARMA 3 has 1.6 million in sales (not free downloads)... and both ARMA 2 and 3 regularly outpopulate PS2 (at least going by Steam figures).

If PS2 could just get a fraction of the players that ARMA 3 has, it would be a huge boost to the number of people playing PS2 at any given time.

So arguably making this game into ARMA would be a good thing.
  4. Taemien

That's why we're asking to have it setup so that recoil is the balancing factor. It might even raise TTK since players might have to burst fire to keep the increased recoil under control.

We're not trying to go full auto at 30+ rounds per auto burst. We're advocating to have our rounds go where the cross hair or dot is pointing which would be affected by recoil. Meaning taking out the RNG or at least moving it to something visible (as some weapons have weird random recoil patterns).

It would help newbies out considerably. As I said before, before I saw the video I linked a screenie of on page 1, I didn't even know how bad CoF was while ADS. And I've been playing for nearly 3 years. A new player will fire, keep crosshair/reticle/dot on target and be like, "wtf? why didn't they die?" We see posts about that all the time. But if it was changed so CoF was eliminated (or severely reduced) while ADSing, and then recoil modified to compensate, they would see.. right off the bat, how to fire the weapon properly.
    • Up x 3
  5. hawken is better

Because if the combat in this game was based entirely on raw aiming ability, new player retention would be even lower than it already is. I'm sure you've noticed the overabundance of tacticools that play Planetside 2, most of whom don't even know there's an FPS element to the game. They spend money on the game, and at the end of the day, money is all that matters to SOE/DBG.
  6. Asageh

It's an outdated mechanic, if this was removed, this would massively buff the NC's Gauss SAW as it would be much easier to land shots on your target, so there's my 2 cents.
  7. Corezer

lol no
  8. FateJH

If they drew the cone of fire as it starts from a pinhead and blooms during ADS, would that count as something visible?
    • Up x 1
  9. Pikachu

Since bullets originate from the camera it could just be an expanding circle on the screen. The size of the circle would change depending on distance to object you're aiming at. :)
  10. UnDeaD_CyBorG

No, the size of the circle would stay the same.
    It would just happen to be bigger relative to your target.
    That's how shotguns and the MCG already work.
    Because that already exists, and it's a completely different game.
    PS2, as it is now, is a game rather close to Battlefield and CoD, and not to a realistic tactical shooter.
    Sure, some people will enjoy that, and I'd love to see it, but the target groups for realism and Sci-Fi, as interesting as I think that combination is, don't seem to match up that well.
    Why can't it be Clash of Clans? Millions of people play that. o_O
  11. Taemien

Pictures show more than words do, so here's a diagram:

[IMG]

*second row First Shot shows where the next round will go. Think of it as 'after first shot'.

Obviously recoil patterns are not exact since every weapon is different (some NS weapons go up and to the left). But there you go... point of aim is drifting off target, you can see that it is. You can choose to let off the trigger or try to compensate. But with CoF, you have no idea where the bullet is going. You only hope that by the 6th, 7th, and 8th shot (3rd, 4th, and 5th shot for NC 200dmg weapons) that the dice roll is 'center' in your favor more than your opponent.

Oh and before you say "just let off the trigger before it blooms out too far" know that TR and VS weapons both will bloom out by the 8th or 9th shot and you can get 12 shots off in under a second (NC weapons bloom quicker, but fire at slower rates of fire). It takes about a second to let the bloom go back down. You're still taking a chance that your target isn't going to stop and may get lucky with their dice roll to hit the center by the time you start firing again.

Lets take the dice out and let it be entirely about the gunplay.

In either case, holding it down till the target is dead or letting the bloom calm down, you're rolling the dice, and whomever is luckier gets the kill.
  12. FateJH

That second row is definitely the ghost of a TR weapon. I'll eat my goggles if it's not (and if they come off).

I'm assuming the first row is the demonstration of "no recoil, just CoF" and the second row is "all recoil, no CoF."
    I rather like the hybrid system where we currently are.
  13. Taemien

You assume the wrong thing. The top row is the current system (the recoil pattens are easy to compensate for). The new system would be the second row, with a much harder to compensate recoil pattern.
  14. Pikachu

Holy cr*p you're right. :eek: I had to test in 3ds max with cones and circles, and a slice of a cylinder.
  15. FateJH

Ah so. It wasn't indicated that there was recoil that was being perfectly compensated for, just that the bottom row is a system without CoF. I'll have to amend my statement to say "I rather like the system where we currently are" which is "the first row."
  16. Crayv

It's due to a combination of stuff from old FPS games that people would complain about if they were removed and various other tropes about how guns work. Example: miniguns (and gatling guns in general) are actually very accurate but in video games they spray bullets like a sawed off shotgun).