Why people hate tanks/combined arms? (or at least seem to)

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by NinjaTurtle, Jun 29, 2014.

1. thingymajigy

That would mean anti infantry tankers would be trying harder to kill more infantry to make up for small XP gain. That what you want?
  2. thingymajigy

The fact is, many people are infantry-only. Their idea of "combined arms" is:
    • infantry vs infantry
    • tanks vs tanks (in the background), occasionally hitting an infantry
    • air vs air (again, in the background), occasionally hitting but not killing infantry.
    That's the problem.
  3. libbmaster

Yeah, there won't be fights in-between bases if people can just skip that step and appear in the spawn room.
  4. Klypto

Why would that matter?

Is it supposed to be that inportant that I reach BR 100 for the third time?
  5. doombro

That's how it should be, to an extent. Each group should have their own "field" they have to themselves, and other groups should be able to slightly extend into that field. Currently, there is too much crossover. A group of infantry positioned on a hill can shut down all vehicle activity within 500 meters, and Liberators surrounding a facility can end a ground fight then and there.
    • Up x 2
  6. thingymajigy

you proved my point...many people do think that way...

That would make pulling tanks and air almost useless. Tanks and air don't capture points. They are supposed to help kill infantry so friendly infantry can outnumber them and take the facility. Same with air. They also destroy the enemy tanks and air, to stop them from doing the same thing.
  7. libbmaster

Actually, separation is kind of the deal with combined arms, at least IRL.

IRL, tanks are relegated to fire support, if they are deployed at all, in dense urban areas: they lack the maneuverability and the situational awareness to protect themselves from close range infantry attacks.

IRL, Infantry are stuck doing recon and occasionally defensive actions because their only advantages against armor are stealth and range, and only if they are equipped with ATGMs.

IRL, aircraft, especially fixed wing, loiter quite far away from the battle until ground forces have a target for them, and even then they make their attacks quick, to avoid exposure to ground fire.

And even though aircraft fear surface fire, in most modern military forces Air superiority fighters are regarded as the first and best option for dealing with enemy air support, with ground weapons being a last line of defense at worst, and a way to restrict enemy movements at best.

Now obviously Planetside 2 does not have to work this way (especially considering how infantry, armor and air all have powerful weapons for use against the other two groups) and, indeed, it would be more fun if they mix it up a little.

This is just food for thought.
    • Up x 1
  8. NinjaTurtle

Because it is supposed to motivate the people that only try to farm infantry to take a more AV approach.

If you starve them of their easy to get certs for infantry farming they are less likely to continue doing it. It is currently to well rewaded
  9. doombro

The point I'm trying to make is that it's better if a specific group dominates their specific field. Currently whoever has the most numbers is the dominator. Tanks and air have too much power over infantry, and vice/versa. The problem for infantry though is largely a matter of base design rather than balance.
  10. Atis

Nah, the more crossover the better. I liked backyard fights in PS1, where everything had its use but not tunnels or open fields where many specializations were useless.

If AV nest can pwn all tanks in the vicinity, either local tankers suck or soe screwed balance up. Its not combined arms issue.
  11. doombro

I for one loved the tunnels and open fields.
    • Up x 1
  12. Munq

It can't be achieved in game like this. For combined arms to work the vehicles need to really be powerful. They also need to be in limited numbers. Vehicles in PS2 are not powerful or limited in numbers. Single infantryman can take out any vehicle apart from a Galaxy with relative ease.

For truly combined arms game, you'd need to reintroduce the same certification system that was in PS1 where players were forced to make a decision what they want to do and when. Then they could start making vehicles truly powerful again; beasts with massive firepower that still would require infantry support for prolonged encounters. Until they limit the number of vehicles people can spawn, the vehicles will remain as intimidating and dangerous as a wet carrot.
    • Up x 2
  13. PWGuy93

Concur with the theme the OP presented.

If they had worked on the meta game way before things like implants, say resource revamps which bring in the A.N.T. vehicles, then play wouldn't revolve so much around balancing for infantry. I strongly feel that whatever end objective they have for the game, their emphasis on updates has been backwards for about as long as I've played the game.
  14. Patrician

A lot of the "issues" that, currently, plague PS2 are due to the design decision to allow all classes and vehicles to be pulled by all players at all times; pure and simple.
  15. NC supporter

This thread is surprisingly legit. Not bad, much impressed. I shall agree with OP.
  16. Patrician

This wasn't the case in PS! Why would it be so in PS2?
  17. Tacom

Combined arms exist in RL because you can't have a Jack-of-all-trades soldier/vehicle that is good for every situation, and specialitation works better. As we dont have a lot of real world restrictions in our small space planet, artificial meassures are neccesary to create areas where one unit is better than another.

Bases should be an infantry battleground while open areas should be vehicle battleground.

Just giving every base a kinetic shield that stops heavy caliber amunition, we could stop tanks and air sniping spawnrooms while still good at their primary role, powerful weapons deadly in open areas.

If a tank wants to get in the base, no problem, but then it has to fight in close quarters, where infantry has advantage.
  18. LIKE A BOSS!

Because the average PS2 player is pretty bad and they let themselves get farmed.
  19. hawken is better

'Combined Arms' is the reason why I started playing this game in the first place. The problem is that 'combined arms' is now codeword for, 'I'm bad and I need crutches to kill infantry players.' That's the reason why strictly AV tankers are so highly respected; they choose not to do that, while still adhering to the actual combined arms aspect of the game. Balance between instagibbing nonsense and everything else is key.
  20. MorganM

People love combined arms until they bring a gun to a tank fight or a tank to a aircraft fight. It's all fun and games until someone runs into the hard counter to whatever they are using.