Why people choose Vanu

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by SQPD, Oct 15, 2015.

1. SQPD

Why do people like Vanu? At first glance it immediately looks like the weirdest out of all three. It has skin tight spandex on both genders, hover tanks, cylon fighters, lasers, and purple. That was an immediate turnoff. But, Vanu seems to be the most popular faction out of the three. Why is that? Are there lots of Battlestar fans? Purple lovers? Nerds? Vanu seems like the most turnoff faction but I guess I was wrong.
  2. Agarthan

pew pew motha****a.
    • Up x 1
  3. Pikachu

They hear how much people call them OP. Since release vanu gets the most hate for being OP, and ugly and weird and stupid.
  4. Shatteredstar

I loved vanu in PS1 because of unique aspects like one ammo type and flipping weapons into ap mode on the fly. I also like purple and the tech look of many things they had.

I feel less "vanu like" in ps2 though.
    • Up x 1
  5. cobaltlightning

Aside from claims of being OP, I think it may be our ideals and technology that attract people. I mean, why fire bullets or whatever the NC shoots when instead you have little bolts of concentrated plasma? Plasma is always cooler to play with than bullets, just see Star Wars.

The technology continues with the Sovereignty's Tank and Fighter, the Magrider and Scythe. Both are able to nullify gravity to an extent, which has plenty of uses: the Magrider is able to traverse obstacles and terrain that the Prowler and Vanguard can only hope to achieve, and the Scythe can literally pull a Starfox 64 U-turn on a nanite-infused dime.

Of course, sometimes having the fanciest technology also means flimsiest, as well, but the new Initiates would rather die in the explosion only to be rebirthed and do it again, rather than try to avoid the anti-air.

Did I mention our Vehicle debris flames are also Plasma infused? That's because normal fire has gotten boring over the last couple hundred thousand years, wouldn't you agree?

Humanity has come so far, but like every Species, we must evolve, to better ourselves for the situation given to us. And those that have joined the Sovereignty have simply realized that we have the means to evolve, to be better than this rabble.

tl;dr
    JK IDFK
    In all seriousness, I think it's something to do with the previous VS players. At least in Emerald, they're all about fun, even if we lose. What better way to end an alert than to pull a platoon full of 1-man galaxies to drop onto that armour Column and miss Every Single Tank?
    • Up x 2
  6. Tatwi

Nailed it.
  7. xMaxdamage

vanu is designed to repel noobs (see purple spandex) and attract pros, they have the best CQC LMGs, which are the most used weapons for the most used class for the most diehard K/DR warriors, a darker camo, no bullet drop (aka tiny little more accuracy) as faction trait (TR and NC shares different dps flavours with TR having more rounds in the mag to compensate for lack of suppression power when compared to slower firing guns with same mag size.)

even if it is a directive weapon, betelgeuse is by a huge lot the most permormant KPU wise LMG in the game for BR100s, it means BG users are exceptionally more skilled, or the weapon is exceptionally better than its counterparts. the truth is in the middle. BG is better indeed, but not by that much. skilled players roll vanu en masse and use it, making the gun appear a lot stronger than what it would do in an even-skilled-players camparison.

in my opinion there should be not a "designed for PROs" faction, because it creates the imbalances we can all see in the alert winning percentage, even if it doesn't create direct population imbalance.

TL;DR
    vanu has a quality pop imbalance, not quantity. and that's because their tools are more appealing to skilled players.
  8. DramaticExit

Well... Easier to use. They require less effort to get good results. I'm not sure how that sits with your "vanu players are superf'kin'pr0" statement.
  9. _itg

I can see the attraction of VS (other than the whole "overpowered"/always winning thing). You may not like purple, but they're mostly black, really, and that's an advantage at night. I much prefer the play style of the Magrider to the Vanguard, and I like that VS stuff doesn't look like it was pulled out of the La Brea tar pits and then sandblasted. I mean, come on, you just spawned that gun. The VS alien tech thing means that when they get new toys, they aren't constrained by the idea that it has to look or behave like a "real" weapon.
  10. xMaxdamage

their weapons are not "easier" to use, they're just very appealing for those players that have mastered both offensive play and movement skill, AKA the best players around.

Orion and BG are a tiny bit less accurate than MSW-R and Anchor, but that 50% increased movement speed coupled with top tier LMG DPS is just too sexy for a very performant KPU wise player-genre, as the KPU BR100 really much shows.
    It's what you get from a Vanu HA from the start, with 0 certs invested on it. and the directive gun is basically the same, but with endless ammo and, much more importantly, no need to reaload the gun, that does it even if you switch to pistol, even if you heal yourself with a medkit.

Think about Lancer. a very good player ("good" from an alert winning perspective) will need to kill a sunderer from time to time and that can happen at long range too, maybe from a galaxy drop exactly where you want your lancer squad to be. *Wink

A Lancer full charged beam does slightly more damage to Sunderers than a common pool G2G/G2A rocket.
    A common pool rocket launcher has 5 rockets, that goes for the G2G lock-on, the dumb-fireable-only RL, and the G2A lock on.
    You need 5 rockets to kill a sundy. If you miss one you're done.
    You need 5 full charged beams too, but a Lancer comes with 8 full charged beams available with no rocket bag needed.
    Lock-ons work up to 300 meters, which is a lot more distant than dumb-fires range, due to the need to compensate for speed and drop.
    Lancer deals full damage up to 400 meters, and works untill 800/1000 meters, no need to compensate for drop and the round travels at 800 m/s, faster than most sniper rifles' bullets. it also has no exposure time since you can charge the laser behind cover, and cancel the charge at will, while lock on needs time and the same goes for compensating for drop at range, if not target speed. time you will be forced to spend while exposed to enemy's fire.

So you have more damage per rocket, more rockets, a lot more active full-damage range, no need to compensate for target speed (which makes moving sunderers pretty much untouchable by dumbfires at range) and bullet drop at all. Is this an obviously OP weapon design? course not, because when compared to other launchers Lancer sucks in damage comparisons vs every other vehicle in the game (flash aside), and has little to no use versus infantry and MAX units. (still better than striker there btw). It outshines every other launcher with those superior features when dealing with Sunderers only.

so you see, their tools are not so enormously OP, they're just like designed to appeal a certain kind of players, those that like to move a lot when fighting and those who just like to destroy sundies, which happen to be the most important vehicles in the game.

both these Vanu HA weapons are more appealing to good players (as always, "good" from ps2's perspective), and that's a good part of the reason why IMO Vanu has a bigger percentage of good players in its total population when compared to TR and NC, which also proves why the "average" vanu BR100s achieves like 3 times the KPU score of any NC/TR average BR100, and also why Vanu wins that much more alerts than them.
  11. Moridin6

get enlightened..
  12. Agarthan

That's not entirely true the lancer does quite a bit of damage to a max particularly when it's charged, while it's awkward against a MAX in CQC it's pretty effective at mid to long range when they are ducking in and out of cover.
  13. Drasilov

Sci fi weapons. Who wants to ride around in a Vanguard - a tank that wouldnt be out of place in Afghanistan 2015 let alone 3015 or whenever this is set.
    • Up x 1
  14. AxiomInsanity87

Because they get nice reload times, better damage for the most part than TR and comparable rof.

They are not op but they are much better than some people try to make out. I would say they have the most user friendly weapons coupled with quick reload times and decent damage, all factors that are extremely relevant in an fps.
  15. Littleman

Competent players. No amount of skill will allow One to cover ALL possible angles of attack another player could get on them. Being on a team that is capable of reading the minimap, listening for sounds, checking high and in corners for hostiles, etc makes a world of difference in survival. Fact is, I hardly ever see 3-4 Vanu get killed to one dude. TR and NC though? They might as well be AFK.

So I went VS because I can count on the team to do what is needed (get to the objective, DO THEIR JOB like lay down darts, heal, ammo, etc.) and actually play like they know what they're doing in an FPS (basically, not letting one dude with a shiv or a brick run through their ranks unopposed.)

Occasionally the other empires pull out "skilled" players, but I'm convinced they're VS just subbing over to another empire for a night, and even then they still have to fight hard to win.
  16. PostalDude

Because there is no incentive to play TR outside of Masochism.
    • Up x 2
  17. MikeyGeeMan

People choose vs because they have the easiest to start weapons. They have minimal recoil and their camo is the least obtrusive.

When did vs get gud? When they nerfed the tr .

Plain and simple. Before that tr were the faction to be in and dominated. Once they took and massacred the tr Arsenal people jumped ship left the game entirely.

The big one was the striker nerf. That one saw a mass exodus from tr.

So yes the vs has better players because the weapons are quite easy to get going with.

The whole teamwork blah blah blah. Yeah let's see you retain pop and experienced players if they made th vs earl only work on air units. The lasher has less splash , the scythe loses its turn ability, and the Orion gets nerfed the. Buffed then nerfed and then buffed again.

It will happen. Once the pop is truly out of whack or vs stops purchasing son much there will be a buff to another faction and the population will migrate.

He'll half the vs has threatened to leave if you remove .75 ads from. The Orion. The vs bs is all bravado oush their weapons in line with everyone else and you will see the same thing.

In the end. The reality of it is.

This parrot is dead. It has ceased to be.
    • Up x 1
  18. CMDante

Because they're easy-mode. Infantry weapons are baby-simple, Magriders are baby-simple, Lancer/Vortex are baby-simple, they have the best weapon in the game for the most noob-friendly class in the game. Everything about the faction just screams "EASY" Oh, and they don't have to contend with bullet drop on the vast majority of their weapons. So go nuts with suppressors, SPA, and whatever CQC carbine you want to switch to semi-auto and nail headshots from render distance with.
  19. Thardus

Three choices.
    -A military that brutally imposes martial law.
    -Rednecks who don't even recognize the oppression of their corporate overlords.
    -Scientists, who are only working for the betterment of mankind, and only fight because the other two factions are barbaric luddites.
    • Up x 3
  20. xMaxdamage

Yes I have a level 60ish Vanu alt where Lancer is my only RL, It's very nice to be able to 2hitkill a MAX without having to see it xD