Why NOT use Heavy assault

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by Codex561, Apr 13, 2014.

1. lilleAllan

HA's can't fly, that's why
    • Up x 4
  2. Codex561

Which killboard are you using? Cause PS2 Players uses the X most recent ones.
    Anyways I can do it for your pleasure but keep this thread on topic.
  3. ChipMHazard

There will of course always be a class that is more popular than others, just not a good idea to have one class apparently become soo much more popular than others. SOE made the same mistake as DICE did in BF3.
    I don't really see how you can buff up the other classes killing potential. Imo, there are too many people playing as HA. True, the HA lacks any defining ability like being able to cloak, fly, heal, repair etc. What they do have is a shield and a ranged AT (AI) weapon.
    If the HA is indeed supposed to be the default infantry class then so be it, SOE will have to contend with non-HAs feeling frustrated. I didn't use to have any real issue taking on HAs, even when they used their shield, but with the lag getting worse and worse (With no fix in sight) I am no longer able to win against most that I engage 1v1. Doesn't feel fun anymore. Perhaps SOE could think about further defining the HA to be something more than just the anti-everything. Could do something like give the shield an anti-vehicle flare to it instead of anti-infantry.
    Personally, lag or not, I would still like to see changes made to the HA. 1) The shield needs a spin up timer, in far too many cases it becomes an "I WIN" ability. Have it be a breaching ability, or something you use before going up against armour. 2) HAs still mostly use the rockets as AI weapons, not AT weapons. The previous nerf didn't so anything to stop this trend. Especially when it comes to newer players.

Is it true that the devs don't actually intend to change the shield anymore?
  4. Goretzu

The thing is though if you were winning against more than 50% of HAs to begin with (whilst I assume not playing a HA yourself) that is not really evidence of them being unbalanced (it would be the very opposite, in fact).

They are still supposedly nerfing the NW and Ad sheilds ability to be used reactively.
    However if they don't change those shield then that just leaves the Resist shield (which is being left as is) as by far the superior choice (to the point no one will use anything else as it would be simply stupid to do so as the Resist shield is already much superior when used proactively) and leaving the NW and Ad shields are pointless seems..... well.... pointless.
  5. Celludriel

I don't get it, playing as a HA with nanoweave 4 and the resist shield 4, I still die in milliseconds. How you can even think HA is OP is beyond me. Only with spray and pray, I might get lucky and get out with 1% health. Back in global agenda, now that was fun playing HA, with a medic boosting you , you really felt like a tank, here ... SPLAT !
  6. Robertooooo

Do you activate the shield before starting to take damage?
  7. Niller

The only situation they excede in is in solo play really, then they should atleast nerf those a bit somehow, and then make some buffs that help it in squad play. That wont make LA the "default class".
  8. Celludriel

Only when I know where the enemy is, but considering you get jumped or surprised 99% of the time in PS2. Not that often when I do I do notice a little longer survival time, no argument there.
  9. Robertooooo

You can always try the NMG or adrenaline shield. They just give you a instant 500 hp boost that is great when ambushed :)
  10. Frozoon

Slow, little mobility, easily flanked and outmanoeuvred.
    A light assault/infiltrator are easily able to flank them without difficulty. Movement and positioning is key in Planetside, and this is not something HA have a lot of access to when in comparison to other classes
    Shields make them stick out like a sore thumb
    Huge target for enemies. Most players will prioritise Heavies over other infantry (not including MAX's). Imagine watching a large scale firefight, with allies and enemies mixed together, forcing you to study your targets. Then, a large, bright, glowing shield comes out of nowhere and in a second you are able to identify and attack the target.
    Weapons are not awesome at range, weaker in CQC compared to SMG's and carbines.
    In situations such as tower battles, and inside buildings, HA weaponry is easily outmatched by shotguns, SMG's and alike. In combination with their high target priority, this makes the HA harder to play in a large, indoor or confined fight.
    Long reload times make them a little more vulnerable
    Fits in with the previous point. In a large, confined fight ( indoor cap points, shield generators, biolabs etc) your weapon, once exhausted, will burden you with a long reload time, with plenty of mobile units running around with CQC weaponry.
    Dependent on engineers and medics to continue being useful
    A heavy assault, once downed, is unable to continue the fight, forcing the player to respawn and loses momentum on a push or assault. Once you have used your limited ammunition and rockets, you are rendered helpless, and a large target. A Heavy Assault cannot simply run into enemy lines, gunning down everyone in sight, with their shields up, for more than around 20 seconds. Then, you have to reload, your shield is down, and there is nobody around to help you. They are very dependent on other classes to make them an effective choice on the battlefield.
    Some jobs can be done better with other classes
    Long range- Infiltrator with a sniper rifle.
    CQC- Light assault, mobile, agile and can equip all of the shotguns a HA can (Except the jackhammer)
    - Infiltrator, hard to see, faster, good killing potential at close range
    Overall toughness- Max suit. ability to push lines better without heavy assault
    Weaponry- the combat medic is able to equip weapons which can have the same potential as a Heavy assaults. While also being able to heal themselves and others around them
    - Engineer, MANA turrets, can also supply ammo, and repair vehicles and Max suits
    In conclusion, the Heavy Assault, in my opinion, is in no way "better" than other classes in planetside 2. Being a team game, Planetside is all about coordination and teamwork. This requires Medics, Engineers, Max suits etc. The Heavy may be appealing to a lone wolf type player, but when you play the game how the developers envisioned it, as a squad, the value deteriorates in favour of support and other classes which function better as a group.

Bit long, but oh well.
    • Up x 2
  11. LibertyRevolution

I was always told you should play max unless it is on cooldown. :rolleyes:
  12. Goretzu

They don't really though, the shield can be a pain although that is actually more of a problem if it is resist and used proactively (somewhat ironic as they are trying to change all shields to be used proactively), but I've quite simply never lost to a HA I got the drop on as a Engi, Medic, LA or MAX.

HA are simply flexible as the default class, the Devs cannot make LAs as flexible because of the jet pack (the very reason VS MAXs don't have jet pack in PS2 like the did in PS1).

Actually I've never seen any data of % class make up, is there any data showing % of classes used, and LMGs certainly don't seem to be massively outperforming Carbines or ARs.
  13. Niller

They shouldn't be near as flexible as HA, but something that make them a little bit better to have in a squad would be nice.

I haven't mentioned anything about LMGs being better than carbines/assualt rifles, neither have I said that you won't be able to kill a HA you get the drop on, and I don not want HA to be nerfed in any way (unless I have forgot something, I might have said something about it in other threads for some time ago).
    I just want LA to be better in team play, not necessarily better than any other class.
  14. Goretzu

Giving LAs more team play option is a pretty seperate thing to this thread though.

The should absolutely do this, however the problem with LAs and this is their situational power, jetpacks range from mediocre to insanely powerful all at the same time (which makes any change a nightmare to balance)..... so I understand the Devs issues in doing this (although with dual pistol and SMGs they seem at least to be doing something now).
  15. Celludriel

Probably because if you shoot an LMG your bullet ends up 1 km away from the spot you where aiming at ...
    • Up x 1
  16. Niller

I know it is problematic to do, but it would be possible, maybe even without a full class revamp, which I don't want.
  17. FSGanymedes

Many seem to be saying about the medic's reviving, but don't forget that they can also heal themselves, so they have no need for medkits/regen kits, making the Combat Medic a much, much tougher class than the heavy, in my opinion at least. I do agree that the overshields are quite "Press F for instant victory in an 1v1 fight." We'll see what the delay to that stuff brings with itself.
    Man I love the medic. It's just so nice to help other people~
    I agree very much, all those V1s raining on me... So nice.
  18. MajiinBuu

On your main you have ~350 kills as Heavy Assault, ~530 deaths as Heavy Assault, and ~5340 deaths to Heavy Assaults.
    A little biased aren't we?
  19. Sagabyte

I'm really excited for the delay addition. I want the shield to be a tactical use thing, not an "I win" button as it is now.
  20. Codex561

Cause guess what? I still use HA on a daily basis to keep aircraft away. 1 on 1 against a lib, I pretty much die but chase it away for a while. So yeah, I die a lot while HA without kills.