[Guide] Why Nay-Sayers to the Prototype Hex System are Wrong

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Cyridius, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Cyridius

Okay, I'm sure everybody and their mother right now has seen this image;

[IMG]

That image was tweeted out recently by Matt Higby - Malorn and "XanderClauss"(I don't know this dev) are working on this.

Now, what is this image, to you?

It is the first stage to fixing this game. What you see here is a lattice-like system, made using the current Hex System, except with smaller Hexes(About 1/4 the size of current Hexes). The logic behind this system is to use neutral hexes(The uncoloured ones in this image) to split territories and remove adjacency. This concept was championed by Malorn during Beta and has been discussed since, and explained rather comprehensively by Nobel(Leader of Azure Twilight), in this video here; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-yOT5EgYvU

Now, why you should love this system and how it will change this game.

Let us assume in this scenario, that the NC are attempting to continent lock the TR at their warpgate, seen here in the image. They would seize Tawrich Tech Plant and proceed to split up. One half goes to Blackshard Iridium Mine and split up further along the line at Feldspar Canyon, and the other half split up again and attack Redridge Communications and Arroyo Torre Station. In this situation, in order to secure a continent lock, the zerg has to split into four separate parts. If they do not, they will be forced to zerg down each path individually, doubling back repeatedly. This is a highly non-optimal method of assault, and heavily favours defenders.
    So let's assume the zerg does split up, this allows smaller groups and outfits to be more effective at defending.

What can we gather from this? The new system favours defenders, especially an underpopulated defense.

Does this linearize strategy? Somewhat. This does not inherently limit strategy. Infact, by creating predictability to the approach you are encouraging strategy. Have you played a strategy game? I'm going to assume no. In an RTS strategies are created due to knowledge of the map and predictability of flow. Knowing the most likely paths your opponent can take allows you to work in that knowledge and be able to form a strategy around that. In the same manner, he can know your most likely response and can form his own response. In such manner are complex strategies are created.

This system actively encourages this kind of strategy. By funneling the zerg along paths, outfits and organized crews can respond accordingly to them. Take the picture - there are 4 paths. If the zerg goes up 1, you have 3 paths free game. Now, assume the zerg split up into 4 to go up the 4 paths, you have smaller forces that outfits can handle.

Now that we've gathered this does in fact foster not only large fights(As advertised when we all heard about the game...) but encourages strategy on very complex levels. It can be argued that as this is not an RTS game and the body of troops is not controled by one overmind, that this argument doesn't really apply. I have to disagree. What are platoons? What are outfits? They are, in general, large bodies of troops geared towards a set of objectives as outlined by their leader, the same way an RTS is.

To add to this, ghost capping will be significantly reduced, no longer will you be making a push to find that one guy has flown around in a Mosquito and set all the territories behind you to start capping again. Nobody who enjoys this game the way it is meant to be truly values ghost capping - it undermines the entire system. The devs have realized that and have started making adjustments accordingly.

Another reason you should love this system is changes to main facilities.

[IMG]
    As you can see here, each satellite is now its own set of hexes. To advance into the territory you now need to own a satellite to acquire hex-adjacency. It should also be noted that you need adjacency to the satellite territory in order to capture it --- in order to capture the SE sat, you need Aorryo Torre or Redridge Comm., you wont be able to capture it if you just have Blackshard Iridium. However, you can capture the SW satellite if you own the NE satellite, as you now have adjacency.
    This adds tactical flow, believe it or not. You'll be able to see on your map at a moments notice; Where are the enemy pushing from? Are the satellites contested? The enemy is capturing X facility, maybe we should set up at Y satellite and prepare for them. These are things you cannot do now, as a result of the staggering level of unpredictability the current hex system has.

This system is, more than anything, a stepping stone. And I shall end with that. The system is nothing but an improvement on what we already have, and there is no argument that can be made using logic, game knowledge and common sense that can make a solid case for the current hex system against this prototype we see.

Also, just to debunk a misconception certain people are having, if an area is uncoloured that does not mean it is out of bounds. You can still move freely in there. This preserves the vast majority of the sandboxy-ness of PlanetSide2.

tl;dr
    This system will;
    Foster fighting
    Improve strategic depth
    Significantly reduce ghost capping
    Add flow to continental pushes
    Focus defense
    Add certain levels of tactical flow to main facilities

• Up x 139
  2. tdawgz

Couldn't agree more
    • Up x 7
  3. spunchron

I agree with the gist of your post. Thanks for the write-up.
    • Up x 3
  4. Vertabrae

Can't wait for the lattice system. Best thing I've seen for the game yet.
    • Up x 11
  5. razgriz417

Great, reasonable explanation. Can't wait to hear more details to these changes
    • Up x 4
  6. Tekuila

Fully agree.
    • Up x 4
  7. MajorZbug

To the roadmap !
    • Up x 6
  8. PieBringer

I disagree with your first point! My mother couldn't possibly have seen that image, she's never heard of a computer. (But for some reason that eludes me, has a Facebook account...)
  9. Zan_Aus

I don't really have a point of reference for the lattice system, having never played PS1. However, every explanation I've heard made it sound EXTREMELY funnelled.

If we can get some form of balance between that and the complete randomness of the current hex system, that'd be nice.
    • Up x 4
  10. Onetoo

Thanks for helping to explain the lattice system!

I'm really looking forward to how this could potentially lead to better battle flow. Players would definitely be more likely to defend if they had a better idea that an offensive push was heading their direction.
    • Up x 2
  11. Stanis

What makes it sound funneled is that there were maybe 10 bases and approximately 15 links.
    We've gone way in the other direction. 30+ hexes and every hex has adjacency making it hundreds if not thousands of links.

This is an excellent compromise - that can hopefully be done sooner rather than later.
    We keep the hexes and adjacency mechanic but foster structure to the links meaning there is strategic depth with dozens of options.
    • Up x 6
  12. Doom721

I'm in entire agreement to this system and this is amazing news. This definitely will mean more established front lines and large outfits still play a role because they can either split their forces down each path, or wholeheartedly tromp through one of them to cause the enemy to fall back and defend bigger nodes, such as Tech Plants. Streamlining defense is going to be amazing and I can't wait for implementation of a system like this.
    • Up x 6
  13. Zaik

I think we need to see this new system in north Indar to gauge it's merits. The section of the map selected for this already behaved more or less like this, as the fight had to be funneled down the paths anyway.

If it's just every territory connected to every territory like it is now then this is just cosmetic, not a thing actually changes.
    • Up x 1
  14. Syylara

Right, because it's the large zergfits that are having so much trouble finding a meaningful role to play in a major offensive...
    • Up x 3
  15. MasterCheef

Civ 5 has strategy...it uses a hex system.

The only thing i keep hearing is "no more ghost capping"- well that could have easily been solved by eliminating the ability to ghost cap and only being able to neutralize territory not connected to warpgate.

I would prefer if this "lattice" was enforced through resource and capture time restrictions, instead of just being an arbitrary "capture this first" system. I'm not too keen on this artificial funneling of troops. Maybe it works better in practice, but it sounds restricting and predictable. Almost like a forced map queue.

I dont know if i'll miss the organically moving map of the current system. The lattice looks like it will always be a "TR push from the south". It looks like the map will always have a predictable shape to territory control depending on which faction is on a roll.

also- Am i the ONLY one who feels that there IS some strategy with the current system? When i am in a big platoon, i hear decisions, tactics and strategy being discussed all the time by good leaders who are actually trying to conquer a continent. Getting back capped can be annoying, but its usually dealt with quickly if your faction is on a roll. It also adds some decision making to the zerg as they are forced to decide on taking back territory and splitting up or pushing forward to demoralize.

My biggest problem with the current system is that capturing territory never felt like a significant blow to the enemy, no matter how big or difficult a base was. Maybe this lattice system would help with that, if it can prevent a faction push from advancing.

-anyway, i'm still excited for the change. I have some faith in SOE, I'm not completely hating on the idea.
    • Up x 4
  16. ps2x518

It's not just cosmetic. Old Auraxium Mine is no longer connected to Copper Ravine Station for example. The prototype seems to flow in consideration to natural terrain..versus the current hex system where those two territories were connected via hex even though there is a giant mountain between them.
    • Up x 1
  17. Autarkis

Not how it works. The zerg can easily cap one base and then zoom directly to the next base in the next lane over. The channels are just control channels, not where you can physically travel. There's no doubling back.

Incorrect. Feasibility of defending is the same for small groups. The only change the lattice introduces is that there are fewer places to expect an attack, so more defenders might pile up in those places. Without better base design we won't see "easier defense."

Allwhat.

You can only cap the next bases inline with your control channels. Now everyone on the map will know where you're going next. Whether you consider that better for people who can't find the main fronts is up to you, but limiting capture options is exactly what the system does.

Correct. This system favors and empowers large outfits and the "zerg."

Large fights are the primary output from this system.

No. If I know that my enemy can attack in 4 places and I have access to hundreds of people across several large outfits, I just plug all four. If my enemy can attack in 8 places - or carve out new angles for attack - then I have to be more judicious and I have to scout.

It's not an RTS and that argument absolutely applies. There are so few tools to coordinate between outfits (large AND small) and distributed squads that an RTS analogy just doesn't work. We have no way to craft an empire-wide strategy and carry it out. Instead of giving us those tools, they've put bumpers in the lanes to force us to exercise a very specific strategy.

Yes, the new system favors large groups.

Sorry that the incentive system forced you to leave and not stay to defend.

To be crystal clear: I think the current system is inadequate. We have no tools to help us coordinate between squads and outfits (text chat does not count, sorry; I want a mission/objective system), we have no incentives to capture and hold anything, the resource system is broken and bases are not designed to be defended.

I am disappointed that the solution is to ignore all of these gaps and just force people to prosecute a push a very specific way.
    • Up x 9
  18. Sheherazade

I couldn't be bothered to explain it over and over again to all the moronic "I HATE CHANGE SO I'MA HATE THIS NO MATTER WHAT" people....

This gives a nice explanation (and a nice TLDR) to why this system is going to be superior once its tweaked and ready!
    • Up x 6
  19. Sheherazade

You realize that most current hex bases are usually only connected by 3-6 other hex bases anyways right?

Not to mention...you can still attack from ALL directions...it's not like parts of the map just disappear....
  20. Autarkis

Look at the image. The smaller bases have two connections, one on each side. If you are coming from one side it's pretty obvious where you're going next. Right now, capturing a base might give you 2-3-4 options on what you cap next, the new system gives you only 1.
    • Up x 3