Why isn't there rage at SOE's phasing out of combined arms?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Jachim, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Jachim

Guys,

Seriously. Our outfit tonight got to try out the new Esamir. Our armor and air divisions couldn't keep their members in air and armor at all in any fight where there were more than a few dozen enemy. Not enemy air or armor.. just a few dozen infantry.

The new Esamir gives infantry impunity to demolish air and armor, leaving fights to become a giant clustersuck of mass human wave attacks. No strategy, no skill, nothing. You can't flank a base because there are only 2-3 entrances now, any sundies or other support you obtain is obliterated the moment the enemy gets the bright idea to squad deploy on top of it and C4/rocket it to death, etc.

It's all a numbers game now. Even Battelfield has more strategy.

On a positive note, at least Esamir is pretty now. I guess...
    • Up x 23
  2. ZoeAlleyne

hahaha you are bad, bases should not be a zerg of tanks. learn to infantry
    • Up x 24
  3. Emotitron

It's still combined arms... Sundies/Harassers combined with infantry and maxes. There ya go!

Honestly though, for all of the complaining I still got on and ran up a 32 for 0 killing streak in my mossie with the new update. It isn't AWFUL to fly, but somehow with every patch it becomes less fun. And I would hate to be a new player trying air for the first time now - the skies are not a friendly place.
    • Up x 9
  4. smokemaker

I have accepted the fact that this is infantry 1st.
    Then vehicles, then air.

when we get to re-set certs. I will be pulling most of them out of the air vehicles.
    • Up x 2
  5. Jachim

This is the attitude of those who want to play this game. Sad, sad day.
    • Up x 15
  6. Tobax

Bases are not meant to be about combined arms they are meant to be about infantry combat, sure do vehicles and aircraft between the bases but once at the base it's always been about the infantry, PS1 was no different.
    • Up x 13
  7. Larolyn

I just started learning to fly and it is far from easy. Only racked up a few hours of serious flying and man it's brutal up there. The moment I hit TR terroritory I just hear the constant beeping of lock ons and have to get out fast. It's never one guy and a striker it's always several. I guess they hear me coming or something.

The Vanu on my server have quite the air presence and gain numerical superiority a majority of the time. Also found out a lot of Vanu pilots will ram you and I'm not good at dodging that yet. Still the Vanu are more fun to engage due to less lock ons from the ground when in dogfights.

Flak is overwhelming, lock ons ruin a lot of the dogfights and numbers will win. Plus Esamir is laggier now. I'm use to frame drops at amp stations but now they appear all over. Lag and frame drops are killer. Fancy manoeuvres don't work when I lag into a cliff face.

I'm not gonna give up learning to fly but I definitely feel like I choose the wrong time to learn.
  8. bodmans

Basicly from my recent playsession, i can tell that going outside a base as infantry means instadeath most of times due to tankshells exploding in your face...
    • Up x 6
  9. BigMacDeez

I blame Call of Duty for this.
    • Up x 11
  10. Kid Gloves

What PS1 had, and where PS2 is hopefully going is:

* bases are not for vehicles. they are for infantry, and give small numbers of infantry the ability to hold against a much larger force.
    * bases can be sieged out by starving them of resources.
    * choke-points and places to fight over exist between bases where vehicles shine.

The ideal is that a full continent push involves areas for vehicles, areas for infantry, and areas in between. It ideally means that a galaxy full of infantry delivering a 12-man squad somewhere in a base that isn't one of the existing ground choke-points is now a serious threat.

Ultimately the role of the vehicles outside the base will be to hold the siege line and stop the enemy resupplying. So the vehicles are playing capture-the-flag against the incoming supply vehicles while the infantry are playing capture-and-hold inside to secure the base. If either attacking team is able to win their part of the siege, the base will fall.

Vehicle capture-the-flag is not in yet. But it is coming.
    • Up x 22
  11. ent|ty

Because the noobs like deathmatch, now they have it at every base.
    • Up x 7
  12. FigM

The root of the problem is AV Turret and long range missile spam

Infantry shouldn't be competitive against armor at long range, only at short range
    • Up x 16
  13. f0d

ive given up on trying to convince people that they have removed "combined arms" and turned this game into infantryside
    back in ps1 NOBODY insulted you for being a vehicle player but in ps2 its "OMGGETMORESKILLZDUDE"

i 100% agree that vehicles have no place in and around bases but ever since launch they have slowly but surely nerfed vehicles and buffed infantry AV capabilitys so even in the outdoors tanks are not strong

i miss the strong vehicles in PS1 they were so much more fun
    • Up x 3
  14. Kid Gloves

PS1: They took our tech plant and we can't spawn MBTs or aircraft? OH CRAP!

PS2: They took our tech plant and we can't spawn MBTs. Guys, they took our... Guys? Anyone? Oh cool, harasser!
    • Up x 13
  15. Isokon

What does this have to do with Esamir?
    Please elaborate.
    Gal drops? Squad deploy? Light Assaults?
    Happens on all continents...why single out Esamir?
  16. f0d

PS1 did have thunderers (diddnt need tech) - which with a good crew was better than tanks
  17. vulkkan

The resource revamp has to come out before vehicles have any significant impact on base captures on Esamir.
  18. mooman1080

Because there are people that will defend their c4 fairy tooth and nail. It doesn't matter to them.
    • Up x 6
  19. Ranik

The resource revamp looks like it is going to do a whole lot of ******* nothing in regards to making tanks more survivable.

And the maps become ever more cluster ****y
    • Up x 1
  20. Kid Gloves

Yeah, they were good. Needed more people, but they were fun and a great way of moving the squad around. I'd love to see the thunderer make a comeback, even if it just involved adding an extra couple of passenger-only seats to the harasser.

To be honest, though - the tech plant thing in PS2 is just a hang-over from PS1 that hasn't been patched out yet. It almost never makes any difference, and the very few times it does it feels like a bug. In PS1 it was effective because it also meant no reavers or liberators, too.

Personally I'd like to see the tech plant mechanic go until the resource / supply / battle-line stuff is better nailed down.