Why is nanite auto repair getting nerfed?

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by IamnotAmazing, Apr 11, 2014.

1. IamnotAmazing

The only people use this as they are too lazy, it provides no combat advantage, yet the other options are so bad they are not used.

This seems to be a reoccurring issue with balancing

a particular weapon/utility is dominating, so then it's nerfed, this is bad for everyone and buffing the other options will provide a better game experience

my suggestions

composite armor: buff the resistance to flak so that's viable for a2g, and make lockons (except the striker) four shot
    stealth:remove engine noise
    • Up x 1
  2. khai

The main reason is that even in a dog fight you can go 8 seconds between getting hit while you both try to get an angle on each other especially with 4-5 second reloads but it is unlikely you can go 12.
  3. David Lancaster

It's unnecessary, and yes, quite frankly, an example of SOEs bad balancing methods. Why would I use the other useless abilities? Flak fire and infantry groups will still shred you even with max level of composite armor.

They need to BUFF the others, make them more competitively viable, not nerf something that works fine.
  4. M2_Bradley

[IMG]Sorry...I just had to. :D
    • Up x 8
  5. Derek Icelord

On its own, Nanite Auto Repair isn't that overpowered. However, when you combine it with Fire Suppression it becomes rather silly. If memory serves, the Fire Suppression repair ticks would not only trigger Nanite Auto Repair, but stack with it.
    • Up x 2
  6. minhalexus

Nanite auto repair is fine on everything except the ESFs.

In a 1v1 dogfight, its quite OP. There will often be times when both pilots are trying to out-maneuver other pilots and the extra HP really helps.

I personally feel a huge difference when i use my non-NAR reaver and my NAR reaver.
    NAR is the better option by a huge margin on an ESF.

On everything else, no.
    • Up x 2
  7. Doomzzg

If you get caught by flak then it's your own fault for being bad
  8. IamnotAmazing

Yes I realize this, but it needs to provide a much more significant advantage to make it viable, the more options the better game, I think we can all agree on that
  9. Peebuddy

No idea why they think NAR needs a nerf, it's basically a requirement for ESF. Not because of the advantages you get in a dogfight (seriously guys, rarely does it ever come down to a few %ages difference) but so you don't have to spend 2 minutes every time you get nicked by flack to repair. We aren't ground vehicles where you simply hop out for 5 seconds to top up, we have to find a safe location to land every single time. BORING and TEDIOUS

If anything ESF should get rank-1 NAR automatically, then maybe when you don't have to land so frequently other players might choose other defensive slots. Because it's not necessarily because composite armor sucks, just having to land every 5 seconds sucks even more.
    • Up x 3
  10. XXBLACKATTACKXX

buff others don't nerf
  11. Dhabu

This is news to me. I looked for, but could not find, SOE-sourced info regarding a NAR nerf. Could someone please link one?
  12. teks

no.

nanorep is important for rival builds and skirmishing magriders. its not lazy.

magriders need to stay mobile so do rival lightnings and skyguards. getting out of the vehicle puts them at risk and slows them down when they could have been finding another angle to strike. nanorep allows a tank to take a stray rocket and continue fighting.

the nerf is pretty bad i hope they rescind it. along with everything else in the entire patch.
  13. Frosty The Pyro

How much flak resistance does composite give? The number I keep hearing is 30%, which if the wiki is right and ESFs have a base resist value of -60, then that makes a 23% boost to survivability. that's not a small amount. If composite is too weak then that just means the thing it defends against is not enough of a threat to be worth a specific defense against. Maybe if you included a few % resists to nose guns folks would flock to it. 4% would give you a 20% survivability boost there.
  14. lothbrook

Yup the armor upgrades are meh, taking an extra round or rocket means nothing unless its a 1v1 fight, lol, stealth and NAR ensure you're around much longer and are shooting for most of the time. Radar is useless IMO because the current state of tanks means you really shouldn't be anywhere near infantry and just have to worry about that 1 lone C4 Hero from time to time.
  15. Jaedrik

NAR is too convenient for some to ever give up. Landing to repair is just not acceptable for them.
    It is better to make NAR default to air vehicles at a nerfed healing rate.
  16. OldMaster80

I'm usually against the rule "buff everything" but in case of the armor you're freaking right, this is true even for ground vehicles. The advantage of having additional armor is so little that NAR will always be the top choice. Who cares to resist 1 hit more? MBT fire so fast that this will probably mean I'll have 3 seconds more of surviability: it's much better to go for the traditional "hit & run" tactic while the NAR kicks in. More fun, more rewarding, I don't have to force myself into the Engi class to get repair.

Thumbs up for armor buffs instead of NAR nerf.
  17. lothbrook

Flak itself is pretty weak, the real damage is when you start taking direct hits and you're taking the direct hit damage+Flak, personally i think the way direct hit and splash damage are both added on a hit is stupid, and thats not just for flak. It makes balancing splash weapons stupid as you have to start factoring in direct hits, lol. Its also why the dalton will wreck vehicles on a direct hit no matter where you hit them, direct hit plus splash is more than a Titan AP round with a much shorter reload.
  18. Frosty The Pyro

Flak does not add direct hits. When a flak round bursts, the round itself disappears, you can only do direct flak damage against freindly air (as the round doesnt burst near freindlies). It used to be able to double hit, which made short range flak more powerful than long range, but the removed that a long time ago to make flak more consitant. It came with a small buff to flak damage (less than the damage lost from double hits), over 10 months ago IIRC.

Dalton, and i think maybe the zypher are the only weapons that can hurt vehicles with splash and direct damage, AV grenades,flak, c4, and AV mines are splash only, and no other weapons deal splash that will hurt vehicles. Not sure how it works with flash/harraser/esf as they can take small arms damage, but i think might be immune to non AV splash as well.
  19. IamnotAmazing

it's a different play style, it doesn't need to be nerfed though

also the tr are going to have a hayday after this patch
  20. Xebov

I think you dont understand what balancing realy does. Balancing does not only mean to change stuff that is to powerfull or is lacking some power, it also means that stuff gets changed to work more like its planed to be. NARS is a good example (similar to Nanoweave), its meant to give an advantage between fights to faster repair, it also has the advantage of doing so on the move. The low timer of 8s enables it also to be used in combat (air more then ground), by simply doing evasive movement to wait till the NARS kicks in. This is comonly used especialy by ESF pilots to turn a fight into there favor.

The funny thing about this one is that most players complaining about are ESF pilots. If NARS has no combat advantage, why do ppl get angry about the change? And why do i see especially ESF pilots complaing that they need it for dogfights?

ESF Composite allready provides 30% Flak resistance, how much you expect it to need? The problem with Composite (Lib and Gal too) is that it doesnt help against other sources of Dmg typically encountered by Air, such as Rockets, Noseguns and fire from Basilisks.

Stealth however should not remove the noise, it should lower it, since silent ESFs would be realy OP.