Why is it so hard to hit anything?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Drasilov, Jul 9, 2013.

1. Pat Cleburne

LOL, That is EXACTLY what I was talking about and is spot on with TR weapons. haha
  2. Pat Cleburne

Haven't you seen the matrix? "There is no spoon". I hope that makes sense.
    • Up x 1
  3. Fned

Up close is the best time to suddenly crouch, against people who are aiming at your head...
  4. Dovahkiin

5. Corporate Thug

That NEVER works against me and I usually still head shot them or knife them in their face. Its stupid and lame. It reminds me of the super strafing as it more or less takes advantage of crappy frame rates some get in this game. I think its exploiting game mechanics and it just looks dumb. There will always be those who need crutches I suppose, but none of the players I consider great do or even need this.

There is this one guy on Connery. This guy is decent and has a nice K/D. He plays infiltrator a lot and it's usually hard to kill him because for some reason as soon as he decloaks you die pretty much instantly, BUT as a heavy assault or medic he gets ***** the majority of the time I come across him even though I have yet to kill him as an infiltrator. The latency in this game is quite horrible at times and everyone knows this. Some things work better then others and you shouldn't stop playing infiltrator or what ever because of it but movement exploits etc are just lame.
  6. Benton!

Movement exploits? Oh come on.

I guess we should all stand still when you shoot us, because hell, movement is haxoring?
  7. BloodMonarch

One of the big things I found is, just knowing the game helps a huge amount. You don't actually realise that you are learning, over time its just something that dawns on you ...after a while you realise you just aren't dying as much, and the things that really used to p*ss you off because you kept dying to them, dont anymore because you don't keep dying. This is all providing you think about what you are doing of course. Basically, every time you die think about why you died, what you would do different if the same situation came around again (because it will....many times) ..

Some other more specific tips:-

Don't keep going back to the same place if you keep dying in that place ...look for somewhere better, where you have the advantage.

Make sure you have night Vision sights for night fighting...most other players will

Equip your flash with a radar and wherever possible have it parked ...hidden nearby....you will see enemies before they see you

A radar on your tank will allow you to park near buildings and other structures to use as cover, especially when close to the enemy as this prevents you from dying to the dreaded C4 suicide runs. This i've generally found to be more useful than the shield, better cover beats a shield ...but that's just my personal preference.

Get your mouse sensitivity set correctly......this will usually be where you can do a 180 degree turn by one flick of the hand ..just get it so that it feels comfortable....i.e you're not over shooting the 180, and your not having to slide the mouse across the mat. Once this is set practice controlling the recoil by firing at a wall and try to keep a fairly tight grouping. Also practice this whilst side strafing left and right....if you just stand still you are much easier to hit
  8. jihon83

And prepare for moments when you "think" someone else must be cheating. There's a chance of that, but between how badly optimized the game is, the normal lag you may encounter, and how this game relies on the players' computers to figure out what happens, you'll probably run into a few instances where you're "certain" you either got into cover in time or "should have" killed that other person. It's just part and parcel of the game.
  9. Corporate Thug

sigh, some people try to come up with combinations of movements that increase the difficulty in players tracking them. There are those who use macros to accomplish this and others who just manually do it but the results are the same. It is based on unusual movements. What other first person shooters allow this type of stuff? In BF3 they nerfed dolphin diving, it was cheesy and similar.
    You should be allowed to move how ever you want but my point is people perfect these techniques...manually or artificially.

Edit: The majority of players wouldn't have issues tracking people if they maintained at least 60FPS, but this is not the case. Super strafing worked because some people had poor fps and it seemed as if others were teleporting. Most other games you can clearly see all the animations of your character models...in PS2 this is not the case.
  10. Drasilov

Doing better - I changed my playstyle. I use fixed turrets where possible, hang back and repair damaged turrets in captured bases and drop ammo near big firefights, staying out of the action if possible. I'm learning how to use the ML7 rocket launcher and got my first ribbon in it today. I think my main problem is the frame rate as I simply am unable to hit any target with a bullet - hence splash damage with the ML7. My KD ratio will always suck until my PC can cope with the game I think. Sometimes I login and just watch - its worth watching on three monitors - it's like a fricking movie :)
  11. csp0811

When I first started PS2, I was terribad. I would lose any firefight that didn't involve me shooting 7 rounds in someone's back, and sometimes I would fail to kill afk players. I was confused; I thought I was good at FPSs; I loved the gunplay in games like counterstrike and BF3.

Over time I realized 4 important distinctions between PS2 gunplay and gunplay in, say, BF3:
    1. Effective health is 1000 in PS2, and only 100 in BF3 normal modes, with regenerating shields.
    2. Bullet damage is increased only by 5x, not 10x like the health is scaled, and magazine sizes and RoF are not scaled at all.
    3. Accuracy is sharply worse in PS2, especially while moving, and recoil is harder to deal with.
    4. Damage dropoff at range is much more severe in PS2.

This realization allowed me to figure out why I was performing so badly in PS2 compared to BF3. If I used 15 shots (half a mag) from a 25 dmg gun in BF3 to kill someone at close quarters, that means I used 4 to kill and missed 11 other shots. In PS2, it can take a full mag of 143 dmg bullets to kill someone with the same level of skill that you had in BF3. Because of the reasons above, any tactic successful in BF3 that relied on fast kills and movement would fail in a game where it took twice as long to kill someone.

Sloppy shooting in other games is hidden by the fact that volume of fire alone could kill someone; here you are given less firepower and more HP, requiring you to get more shots in target in a longer period of time. Make your shots count, don't hold down your mouse for longer than it takes to fire a 10 round burst, and reload often.
  12. Blarg20011

Just try unplugging 2 of those monitors, they take up a ton o GPU processing power and PS2 is not optimized to use more than one monitor.
  13. shovat

Don't stress it K/D ratio means very little. You will suck at the start of the game, heck I still mostly suck now but I'm still getting better. My K/D ratio in the first week or so was... embarrassing to say the least something like 20 kills for 200 deaths, but then I started getting better. I still die horribly a lot but so do most people. Now however I also kill a bunch my K/D ratio is nearing 50% it probably would be better but I play aggressively most of the time to my detriment. Regardless you will get better if you want to stick with the game if not I wish you luck on your future endeavors.

Engineer was my go to class when I was starting, get prox mines they are handy.

Engineer and Medic are the cert whoring classes for the beginner. ***** certs and magic starts happening.

Oh and when you upgrade your suits and such you actually have to turn it on. I spent three weeks with armor upgrades bought but not active when I started because I am apparently rather thick.
  14. Chunder

boost your mouse sensitivity to max in windows, but disable mouse acceleration, and then tone down mouse sensitivity inside the game as necessary. This made my reticule move around much more smoothly.
  15. Konstantinn

Are you using a playstation/xbox controller?
  16. Drasilov

Using a mouse - also I only have the three monitors running when I'm just watching battles. The biggest issues for me are its too easy to die, guns are extremely inaccurate, low frame rate even on one monitor and I find it next to impossible to tell who the enemy are in a chaotic firefight as the friendly indicator is just way too small to see plus not all friendlies are marked (I guess maybe lag is an issue there?) The ML7 is not only unguided its slow and doesn't actually fire down the boresight a lot of the time so vehicles are nigh on impossible to hit unless they are very close or stationary. I also die in 2-3 shots even playing the heavy trooper so theres no chance to aim anyway.

I got 4 kills tonight in 2 hours - woohoo - just broke 300 deaths as well. Currently at 38 kills for I think 305 deaths. Oh well its fun to watch since I cant play it lol. Night battles look amazing.