Why is everyone so inconsiderate in Planetside?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by maudibe, Jul 5, 2014.

1. maudibe

I am fed up with guys who fail to play as a team in this game. Of course everyone is free to make their own decisions about how they play, but it is rude to jump in my Harrasser and the minute I get into a position where the enemy is present I notice the self centered teamate has jumped out and left me piloting the harrasser without any defense appearantly just so he could get a ride. Of course its a suicide mission most of the time. But....I think its not too much to ask that if....If you jump in someones Harrasser you stay and gun. If ...I cant find a gunner I will switch seats but I will be more careful about where I perch it to gun from. It would be like jumping into a Lib and being the second player (not having 3 in the lib) and bailing out becuase you got to where you wanted to go, leaving the Lib pilot without a good defensive position.
    OF course the lack of team play at charging the A point or going after a known Sundy position is poor tactical gaming but I can excuse the lack of knowlege about the game in some degree.
    I cant get over the fact that my team is getting beaten on every front and If i spawn a Lib i have to sit at the warpgate for 10 minutes before someone who knows the value of it, will jump in. Of course, so many have exclusions to non-squad members jumping in that it gets iffy to even try.
  2. Bindlestiff

I assume you are not a member of an outfit? It is a completely different game being in one...
    • Up x 8
  3. Chipay

join an outfit
  4. nuclearunicorn

Yes, join an outfit, then you can kick everyone out of your sundy to make room for the 4 members you need to take the next base. Then race away screaming MLG b*tch!
  5. Iridar51

6. squarebug

what guns do you equip on your harasser
  7. EGuardian1

Different outfits have different protocols when it comes to pubbies (or blueberries if you're on NC)

The problem is, say you have a Stealth Sundy and are sneaking up on a base to get a good foothold, The driver and the squad knows to hold fire so we're not detected. Some blueberry jumps in and fires a few random basilisk shots at a Lib - BOOM, we're detected and the lib comes and eats us.

Not being part of a squad or platoon or even an outfit means you're actually causing chaos for those around you who are trying to be coordinated. That's why you get kicked out of gals and sunderers. My own outfit typically tries to communicate with the blueberries. If they listen and either join up or at least tag along effectively, we're happy to have them. if they're causing problems, we just lock the vehicle or ignore them.

Big outfits in particular are great to get your feet wet on how squads should be run, if you want more coordination, you may look into the smaller more 'tactics' driven outfits.

Some of my best runs in Vanguards or Libs have been with "blueberry" gunners, it all depends on the player's objectives and willingness to work together.
    • Up x 2
  8. MIchaelortech

Heck, I've done that, but not to be rude.

Sometimes when you are squad leading, or just traveling, and someone slows down to pick you up, you just assume they are being polite and giving you a ride to get quickly to the next location. If they are leading, they want to hurry up get there, get their guys moving, get their beacons and stuff set up, dealing with coms, balancing squads, checking maps, etc. worrying about hurting someone's feelings because they didn't intend to stay and gun for them is probably the last thing on their mind. The intent may not be to be rude, but simply that they have other things to attend too.

If you want them to stay an gun for you, ask them in proximity chat.
    • Up x 3
  9. Icedude94

I almost always lock my vehicle guns to squad/platoon only. Every time a pubbie jumps in my tank, he either opens his map and stares at that for the whole ride, essentially making him an AFK player, or he shoots at random targets and never focuses fire with me(which means death in MBT vs. MBT battles).

True story. By shooting at random targets with my tank's halberd instead of conserving the ammo for actual tank combat, he completely empties it out just in time for us to engage another MBT at close range. He doesn't start spamming his fire button and his ammo voiceover till he's actually empty and we're in close quarters tank combat. He then sent me a /tell saying it was my fault for not having it certed out enough(ammo was certed to level 8).

There are also quite a few opinionated pubbie gunners who think they know more about how to use your guns than you do, a person who has it fully certed. I've had pubbie gunners who argue with me and refuse to shoot at infantry with a kobalt and only shoot at aircraft(including liberators!) because "the guns can't kill anybody at this range." That's actually a true story. I lost a sunderer to HA lock-ons because my gunner didn't know what suppressing fire is.

I've also observed that most people who want pubbie gunners usually are driving a vehicle that is barely certed and are running a basic weapon like a basilisk where they can't even be bothered to put in the first level of the ammo certification.

I am a team player, but only with people who are in my outfit and truly know what teamwork means.
    • Up x 2
  10. maudibe

I do play in outfits alot, seldom is there any communication, and its usually a free for all other that having the Squad indicator on where the next attack base should be.

I run a walker and a PPA and Bassy. Usually walker as it is not vertically challenged on a Harrasser like it is on a Sundy. It will do significant damage to a tank and will do the best at anti air, considering the mobility of the Harrasser. Works well against infantry too but not as well as the PPA. The PPA has no overhead shooting range and is not good even for ESFs and cant do any danage to tanks so unless there is lots of infantry it doesn't work well for me. However If I am alone in the Harrasser I can park it on a nearby mountain top and rain lots of hell down on infantry with it, while being a sitting duck for air.
  11. maudibe

I[ve got many tales similiar, also. Its hard to fathom until you realize the average age is mid 20"S and then that means you will get plenty of 14 year olds who haven't developed the same regard for battle that a more mature player has. Not saying that some of the young uns arent great players. My guns usually have lower certed levels of increased ammo and thermal or night vision or 1.5X scopes to use and be more effective. beyond that the Dog needs quite a bit of practice before it's deadly.
  12. Iridar51

Wrong outfit then. Keep looking.
    • Up x 1
  13. WorldOfForms

Are you sure you're not confusing an outfit with a platoon/squad? That's what it sounds like with you say you "play with outfits a lot." The proper way to play with an outfit is to find one that fits your needs and then stick with them.

If you're playing with randoms you can't expect organized play. It's not really rude of them to jump out of your harrasser, because how are they do know you know what you are doing, or you are going where they want to go? Personally I don't jump out of a gunner position, but if somebody does it to me, I just shrug and move on.
  14. maudibe

Your right i join squads. My outfit is YBOK. Usually I look thru continent squads and join YBOK first, or often I'm invited to a squad. I expect people to jump out of my Sundy, or of a Flash, but the Harrasser is a unique vehicle as it is a sitting duck without defenseive or offensive ability without a gunner. A third seat player like a Max unit I expect to jump out.
    I never jump out of someones Harrasser that I am the gunner in unless he has abandoned it (happens).
  15. ironeddie

I've had this to. But I have to say I've also had some amazing streaks with random gunners who turned out to know what they're doing.
  16. Vertabrae

I'm not always inconsiderate. Just this morning, while on my NC toon, I jumped in an ESF and was heading to a fight. Some TR in a skyguard was out on his lonesome and got some rounds into me. Since I was close enough to spawn at the fight I was on my way too, I nosedived, and rode my fighter into a glorious death, thus giving him the kill. Sent him a message afterwards and wished him good luck. He seemed like a pretty nice guy as well.

So I might sometimes be a jerk, but sometimes not :)
  17. lawn gnome

if i am running around as my heavy assault, i am usually looking for groups of enemy vehicles to kill or already on my way to a target that is awaiting my C4 gifts, so i rarely notice vehicles around me unless i am actively looking for a ride.
  18. Verviedi

Planetside 2 with an organized squad and a mic is fun.
    Planetside 2 with an organized squad and mic when you're 13... Is not.
    I have discovered that most pubbies are hazardously ********. For example, when we are facing the NC tank zerg, not a single person will gun my fully certed out Saron, and will instead march to their deaths in a 1/2 stockrider they just pulled. Since a succession of these incidents, I always treat pubbies like severely brain damaged cows. They are good cannon fodder, but cannot be trusted to do anything more important than walk in view of a camped spawn room and die miserably.
  19. lawn gnome

sounds pretty accurate. i generally just call them red shirts. they are good for distractions and absorbing enemy bullets.
  20. EGuardian1

In the end, a pubbie could just be a good player from another outfit. That's why I let pubbies in WHEN i'm not running organized. I let them know in proxy that I'll be yoloswag cartwheeling a Liberator with a Duster into battle, or whether i'll be sniping with my AP Vanguard. Sometimes it's a disaster, other times, we end up on a 150+ kill streak for over 2 hours. You never really know until you try, but that's only if you want to try.