Why I dislike the current NC AI MAX.

Discussion in 'MAX' started by Kirbs, Jul 25, 2014.

1. ShadowyN

I just find it incredible aggravating that my optimal kill-zone, as a shotgun max, is the same kill-zone as C4.
    That's gotten me killed a lot of times, whereas on TR and VS I can keep a very comfortable distance away from any C4-throwing enemies.
    I wish we could at least get exploding pellets. Or something like a pounder: a weapon that is effective against both infantry, maxes and vehicles.
    • Up x 3
  2. NylaJess

Listen up the NC Max aint instantgib unless aimed to head but that is every Max or Inf instantgib shot in head.
    So alot of u guys have to start have some brains before typing things arent true at all, NC Max never was instantgib again ill say unless u aim to head but its the same with the others Max's ffs.
    Every single topic about NC Max replies are always same "NC Max instantgib" close range, common get real aint true at all that instantgib NC Max crap.
    U dont know single shot in head is instantgib? no matter if is a Max or not!!!!
  3. Revanmug

"Guys, aiming at the head is cheating. You can't aim at someone's head blaaaaarrrghhhhhhurrreeeeeh"

I'm not even sure what you are trying to prove here with this diarrhea of post. The Scatter MAX will instantgib at close range.

Scatter : 130X6 @ 8m = 780 damage per gun which mean 1560 damage assuming all pellets land which will land if in knife's range.

So... wat?

As for this gem...
    Wut? Are you playing another game or something? What the hell are you smoking?

Your kind is the very reason why we can't have nice thing.
  4. Takoita

"Aggressive playstile" with lockdown? o_O
  5. ShadowyN

Maybe his point was that Zoe and lockdown increases your offensive potential, while Aegis increases your survivability. Theoretically.
  6. warmachine1

Shield is incredibly bugged, not because it's low health, but because bullets & splash just pass through in bigger fights due to ****** netcode.
  7. KajedAnimal

I have found the AI weapons for the NC max to be lack luster when compared to the AV. Watching the enemy infantry hop and run around like a chicken with its head cut off when ravens are fired at them is surprisingly satisfying. :D

There is a chance of killing allies though in tight corridors.
  8. Pirbi

People don't use the shield correctly. It's not meant to turtle. It's meant to be aggressive and get into the fight. To close the gap and use your CQC shotguns. The shield is great when you aren't fighting a bad day of clientside. Mattocks with slugs aren't too shabby at mid range.
  9. starlinvf

But what bothers me, and many people in my outfit, are the numbers needed to execute a good shield push, and narrow the window of opportunity is. That same MAX with charge can speed through the door way, get behind the enemy line, forcing them to turn around and leaving an opening for a few seconds for infantry to follow through. To do an AEGIS push to match that effectiveness, you'd need at least 3 MAXs and a hand full of infantry to time the push perfectly.

The big advantage Charge has in this situation is the element of surprise. A single AEGIS MAX pushing through the door just attracts fire, and is slow enough that serving up a rocket is easy. You close maybe half the distance to the enemy line before the shield either fails, or must be dropped to start using your weapons. In either case, you last maybe 5-6 seconds, but the charge MAX can cause some damage and produces more chaos in that time frame.
  10. Pirbi

Fully certed, the shield can absorb a lot. I came around a corner the other day and got met with a team of HA all firing their rockets at once without my shield up. I got revived, repaired, and marched back in with the shield up. They did the same thing but I made it up the stairs without a scratch, took a second volley, and unloaded while they were reloading and got them and their max. I finally went down from C4 while I was reloading (i do hate the long reload time) but my team had breached the room, took it over, and got me back up. Could I have charged up the steps and do the same thing? I think the coordinated HAs firing at once could have stopped me and then kept my support off me. But this way my engie and HAs were able to move up with me. But there is always the right tool for the job and sometimes charge is perfect. Lag and clientside make the shield clunky to use at times. But if they have motion sensors, recon darts, or good ears, you won't be surprising anyone with a max anyway. And attracting fire isn't a bad thing. Not if you have people moving up with you that can shoot back and not when you can shoot them as they reload.
  11. Chewy102

Think an aggressive defense. Not so good for making the main push but once you get to a choke point LD can be used to draw focus to that point or even shift enemy focus away elsewhere if held well enough. Even in attacking you have to defend positions. Plus for AV work LD just does wonders at sending a steam of rounds down range.

Back on topic.

I gave up on this debate. After doing everything I did and taken part in countless debates of this very topic since ******* Beta, I simply don't care anymore. If the devs haven't done anything yet they wont, never mind what the player base says now. MAXes in general are the redheaded stepchild of PS2 with getting next to no love. No player studio stuff at all should be proof enough of that alone.

I don't even feel bothered enough to post links to the work that I did in past debates. That is just ******* sad.
  12. Goretzu

If you look at the NC AI MAX stats they actually die a lot, it's just that they kill a lot too so it tends to be masked in the end K/D ratio.

My guess would be that it is exactly down to that reason above.

Ah.... some people might say, but then killing a lot justifies it, which it might do to a degree, however if you look at how much NC AI MAXs are pulled it is less than TR/VS (probably because they are only really pulled in Biolab door camping senarios - where as TR/VS AI MAXs are pulled everywhere to some degree - especially Mercy and Blueshift).
  13. Serialkillerwhale

NC AI Maxes Need all shotguns to be full auto at the very least to handle oversampling.
  14. Xasapis

I'll rejoice the day the NC MAX loses the shotguns and devolves to the status of the TR MAX. Therefore, I applause all these threads that promote bullet guns instead of shotguns for NC MAXes.
  15. nehylen

TTK is not the right way to approach that. The risk/reward with a shotgun is that you have to get right only once/twice (depending on target/shotgun) in your effective range. When talking about auto weapons, you can move, strafe, crouch behind a counter/wall after an initial burst: not all shots are going to hit, as the shooter needs to adjust upon movement/recoil/bloom.
    With using a pump-action shotgun or an S-carbine/AR with underbarrel shotgun, if you meet an enemy when going through a door, you have to get it right on the first shot. If you face a HA with similar reactions, you've probably lost already, but sometimes if he's too startled, you might get a second shot in and win it with 5% hp left.
    This is quite rare indoor against a shotgun.

None of that with NC maxes, 10k hp guarantees that he'll get a second shot, a third etc. You can't really run away zigzagging while using a medic kit, as you'd do against an auto weapon.
    It's also a problem that we have no way to see how healthy a max is, contrary to a vehicle (which smokes not/lightly/heavily), when there might be some situations where he could be dealt with using small arms.
  16. Goretzu

All you have to do with NC AI MAXs is not be within 8m at that point the TR/VS AI MAX TTK is way, way more than 0.3 seconds shorter than the NC AI MAX TTK at that range.

If you come around a corner (i.e. 0m) and face to face with a MAX with a 0.0s TTK or a 0.3s TTK you're absolutely dead either way.

If you meet an NC AI MAX at 8m you might be able to get way, if you meet a TR/VS AI MAX at 8m you'll be dead.

The idea that shotguns are some how better at range is plain bizarre, shotguns are shotguns, and being on a MAX doesn't change that.
    • Up x 2
  17. Kriegson

FFS this. People complain loudly and frequently about MAX scat-cannons largely without having used them.
    Consider that a pump shotgun has the same TTK within roughly the same range if all the pellets hit. Do people complain about those constantly? Are they frequently used to massive effect? If the issue is the durability of the max AND the killing power of the weapon, how about heavy assault using a pump action shotgun!?

No. No. And hardly ever see it, because it's really not that great.
    • Up x 2
  18. Goretzu

The big problem is the TTK seperation with any real range.

TTK@0m..NCTR/VS
    TTK@10m...TR/VS............NC
    TTK@ 25m..........TR/VS..................................NC

I was defending a biolab air pad (just me and an engi) from people coming up the lifts recently with Mattocks and slugs (best long range option) and basically I was having to move into a range close enough that they had no trouble hitting me with dumbfires to kill them.

With a Mercy or Blueshift I could have gunned them all down with ease from the other side of the landing pad, and easily avoided any dumbfires, and even the low 0m TTK TR/VS weapons would have still done a job at that range purely through simple volume. Also the further problem with the Mattocks at that range is whilst you can occasionally get some good hits and a low TTK, equally you can roll the dice and miss with 2 entire mags and have a huge TTK including a reload.
    • Up x 2
  19. Kriegson

Exactly. This whole "NC IS THE SHOTGUN FACTION" is pants on head ********. Remove scats. Give us a gauss rifle set comparable to the VS/TR weapon sets. Then eventually work in something unique and effective for each faction MAX AI weaponry.

It's much like the mag-scat conundrum. People were screaming "OMG so op it's a shotgun!" while the numbers and actual usage always proved otherwise, but simply by merit of being a shotgun many were convinced it was too powerful.
    • Up x 3
  20. Goretzu

Yeah it is doubly weird because not only could they just have used something else (Gauss weapon), but they also ignored the one thing that made shotguns work on MAXs in PS1 - choked modes (which would also work wonders on the Cannister).

The Mag-scatter is also a strange decision, because it is not better at 0m than other options, where as in PS1 it was better at 0m than any other pistol, it just had a hideous damage drop off and spread to counter that.

Yet dispite the balance issues they insist on them.
    • Up x 1