Why I am quitting planetside 2.

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by xGreedFuSioN, Jun 11, 2013.

1. xGreedFuSioN

It's not because all the updates, or all the OP/UP things, it's not because the bad gun models, it's not because the bad gun sounds, It's not because the population problems, It's not because the stup player models, it's not because how bad the game looks on low settings and how it still plays like garbage on low.

It's because optimization. I'm running a GTX 670, I7 3770K, 16GB RAM, all the latest drivers, all been dusted and cleaned and on full ultra and physx I cannot get more than 20fps in ANY kind of fight, I get 50-60 in warpgate. If I turn off physx/ambient occlusion/lighting/shadows I can MAYBE pull 35 in any kind of fight, 70 or so in warpgate.

Here's my current useroptions.ini, I'm sitting about 50 meters out from a spawn room being camped by fellow TR, maybe 15-20vs inside: 15fps

[Display]
    FullscreenRefresh=0
    Maximized=0
    RenderQuality=1.000000
    FullscreenWidth=1920
    FullscreenHeight=1080
    WindowedWidth=1024
    WindowedHeight=768
    Mode=Fullscreen
    FullscreenMode=Fullscreen

[Rendering]
    GraphicsQuality=5
    TextureQuality=0
    ShadowQuality=3
    RenderDistance=2000.000000
    Gamma=0.000000
    MaximumFPS=250
    UseLod0a=0
    OverallQuality=-1
    LightingQuality=5
    EffectsQuality=5
    TerrainQuality=5
    FloraQuality=3
    ModelQuality=5
    VerticalFOV=74
    ParticleLOD=2
    ParticleDistanceScale=0.650000
    FogShadowsEnable=1
    MotionBlur=1
    VSync=0
    AO=1
    GpuPhysics=1

[Controls]
    CameraAutoAdjustment=1
    ClickToMove=0
    ClickToMoveRightButton=0
    RailCamera=1

[Sound]
    Master=0.990000
    Music=0.000000
    Game=0.520000
    Dialog=0.540000
    UI=1.000000
    UseFloat32Output=0
    ExclusiveMode=0
    HitIndicator=1
    LowAmmoIndicator=1
    VehicleChatter=1
    IdleMusic=1

[ImageCapture]
    OutputFolder=C:\Users\Wendelll\Pictures\Planetside2
    OutputFilePrefix=screenshot.jpg

[VideoCapture]
    Resolution=2
    Quality=100
    WorkingDir=C:\Users\Wendelll\Videos\Planetside2
    OutputFile=C:\Users\Wendelll\Videos\Planetside2\PS2Video_0453

[VideoStreamer]
    Resolution=1
    Fps=30
    Kbps=0
    MicRecordVolume=0.000000
    SpeakerRecordVolume=1.000000
    Username=

[Terrain]
    RenderFlora=On

[AutoRefuse]
    FriendInvitation=0
    DuelInvitation=0
    GuildInvitation=0
    HideUi=1
    TradeRequest=0
    HousingInvitation=0
    GroupInvitation=0

[General]
    AutoDetectPerformanceSettings=0
    MouseSensitivity=0.200000
    ADSMouseSensitivity=0.170000
    ScopedMouseSensitivity=0.160000
    Profanity=0
    VehicleMouseSensitivity=0.140000
    FixedMinimap=0
    FlightMouseSensitivity=0.550000
    ZoomToggle=0
    I left out the video/voip settings because it listed every players volume I've ever adjusted, and I do that alot.
    Also for those wondering about how low my sensitivity is, my mouse DPI is on 3200 so it feels a bit faster than usual.
    And don't pull that whole "o but gr33d dere es 2000 ppl on 1 mahp u kant say dis iznt optimuzd gud" because people don't even RENDER past 400m, and no more than maybe 60 people tops render at a time. (last time I checked there were 64player BF3 servers that perform alot better with much better graphics)
    Regardless, I am completely abandoning planetside 2 if/until this gets COMPLETELY fixed. Gonna buy some borderlands 2 DLC's or something to hold me until BF4 comes out.
    I adore this game, please, PLEASE optimize it just a tadddd better? Not to mention all the fights are zergs which brings things down even further. Let me clarify that this is NOT a problem on my end, I've been trying to fix any problems since game update 5.
    TL;DR: Fix your goddamned game.
    • Up x 1
  2. Hosp

Obligatory, I can haz your stuff? :oops:
    • Up x 3
  3. Jrv

Put your render distance down to like 500, if you're infantry your enemy doesn't render beyond that anyway and it takes a load off your CPU.
  4. StB2000

I get better results with an i5 and a radeon 7770. Can you disable hyperthreading and check?
    • Up x 1
  5. RomulusX

This definitely needed its own thread. Definitely. Because people care. They really really do. :rolleyes:
  6. gigastar

Heres a radical idea;

How about you turn off full ultra?
    • Up x 11
  7. Ender

I get 50+ in almost every battle and I stream from the same system. You need to set your effects distance in addition to the particles distance. PHYSX alone will CRUSH your fps, and its super annoying with all the particles, turn it off leave it off. What Ghz is your cpu at? My i5 OC'd to 4.6 runs this game beautifully. Also turn motion blur off, you don't need it.

[Display]
    FullscreenRefresh=0
    Maximized=0
    RenderQuality=1.000000
    FullscreenWidth=1920
    FullscreenHeight=1200
    WindowedWidth=1024
    WindowedHeight=768
    Mode=Fullscreen
    FullscreenMode=Fullscreen

[Rendering]
    GraphicsQuality=4
    TextureQuality=0
    ShadowQuality=0
    RenderDistance=1800.00000
    Gamma=0.400000
    MaximumFPS=1000
    UseLod0a=0
    OverallQuality=-1
    LightingQuality=4
    EffectsQuality=2
    TerrainQuality=4
    FloraQuality=4
    ModelQuality=4
    ParticleQuality=2
    VerticalFOV=74
    FloralLOD=4
    EffectsLOD=4
    ParticleLOD=4
    ParticleDistanceScale=1.1000000
    EffectsDistanceScale=1.1000000
    FogShadowsEnable=0
    MotionBlur=0
    VSync=0
    ForceGpuPhysics=0
    GpuPhysics=0

[Controls]
    CameraAutoAdjustment=1
    ClickToMove=0
    ClickToMoveRightButton=0
    RailCamera=1

[Sound]
    Master=0.830000
    Music=0.850000
    Game=0.900000
    Dialog=0.830000
    UI=1.000000
    UseFloat32Output=0
    ExclusiveMode=0
    HitIndicator=1
    LowAmmoIndicator=1
    VehicleChatter=1
    IdleMusic=1
  8. NinjaTurtle

This games performance is a joke and seems to randomly decide when to work and when to not, I play on medium settings mostly.

My PC is actually worse than yours based on your specs and I normally never go lower than 30fps for the most part. That said I do get freezes sometimes in very low populated areas. Sometimes I can't even log on it just sits and gets stuck at 98%, I get the no hit reg bug too often and have to restart the client :mad: .

Good thing is this is coming to PS4 a weaker system, they will really have to step up their optimization to get this game to run well.
    • Up x 1
  9. MFP_TK_01

Sorry you couldn't get your issue fixed. Maybe check back in a few months.
  10. Lord Robert

I think the vast majority of people who liked ps2 and quit did so because of performance issues. I know for sure the game has/had problems with non intel CPU's. And I believe that they know this, and if they could fix it they would. I seem to recall Smed tweeting in December, I think it was, about a huge optimization patch coming in a month. It obviously never came, and I think it cost them lots of players.
    They have to know about this, but I think its just too big a mountain to climb right now. I just hope they get to it.
    Personally, I built a new PC a month or so ago and haven't been having any issues, unless its server side stuff. But I know I'm not the majority, and my previous PC (AMD based 2 yrs old) was a mess when playing this game.
    On the plus side, I bet it will run smooth as butter on the PS4.
  11. VogonPoetMaster

I also have a gtx670 and an i7-3770k, half your RAM, and I never see the framerate dropping below 40 at 1920x1200, but I lowered shadows and particles to low, and disabled GPU physics. I do have ambient occlusion on though. Render distance is 2000.
    • Up x 1
  12. rocket1615

I have the same specs as far as I can tell as you, and all I can say is... don't expect to have ultra on graphics quality and have amazing FPS. try HIgh or Med and then see what its like, I used to play Planetside on low and its still fun, don't quit because you don't want to play on lower graphics.
  13. Littleman

GTX 660 Ti (4g memory)
    3770K @3.9ghz turbo boosted.
    16 gigs of ram

[Rendering]
    GraphicsQuality=3
    TextureQuality=1
    ShadowQuality=2
    RenderDistance=4000.000000
    Gamma=0.000000
    MaximumFPS=250
    UseLod0a=0
    VSync=0
    OverallQuality=-1
    LightingQuality=2
    FogShadowsEnable=1
    EffectsQuality=3
    TerrainQuality=3
    FloraQuality=3
    ModelQuality=3
    ParticleLOD=2
    MotionBlur=0
    AO=1
    VerticalFOV=55
    GpuPhysics=0

NOTE: That's all high settings minus shadow quality, which is at medium. 1920x1080 equates to better frames than what you're getting. It should be understood that optimization isn't a magical pass that will give a high end PC solid FPS. Maybe games like Battlefield, but Battlefield doesn't force your CPU to crunch numbers for hundreds of people performing dozens more actions. More often than not, the CPU WILL be the bottleneck in PS2. Multi-threading/multi-core support would really help, but even then I wouldn't expect phenomenal frame rates in the densest of fights with anything short of what the grossly over paid but under worked class of troglodytes could afford.

The biggest frame rate killers I've found on my setup are PhysX, shadow quality, graphics quality, fog shadows, and resolution. 1920x1080 to 1600x900 is roughly 10-30 fps, depending on the density of the fight. Shadow quality from high to medium is another chunk. Accept that your PC isn't going to crush everything you throw at it and take a quality hit, especially in regards to shadows. The difference between medium and large is sharpness more so than render distance. If sharpness is a concern, step outside and take a good look at the world around you. Distance seems to pertain only to infantry anyway. I imagine this is what PS2 will largely look like on the PS4 anyway, plus maybe physX.

Graphics quality is so over arching I'd make that the last thing I take down a notch, even if medium and low remove nearly 70% of all the obscuring visual effects in PS2, it starts to lose a lot of depth with lower GQ settings, which just kind of affects everything, even texture quality.
    • Up x 1
  14. kamenjar

I don't know what kind of frustration you are having here. I have the same card and a 3930k cpu@4.5GHz. It has been running like crap in the past as it has been for everyone else, but after probably GU8 it has been running very smooth. I turned off physx because I personally find the effect lame and the strain on CPU not warranted.

I used to run on an old ultra-low settings and "upgraded" most settings to ultra or high. There's really no reason to make "everything ultra".
  15. Pikachu

There's no quitting in the TR soldier!
    • Up x 5
  16. SeniorChief

pLEASE DONT LEAVE. my system is only a couple steps above a tin can and a picture. it may just be your connection, and or your shared network,call the support line talk to them they will help
  17. Arquin

Csn i pls haz ur account? Pls? Atlest the sc plz plz im poor and my mom dosnt let me buy sc
  18. PieBringer

I genuinely found this funnier than I should have.[/offtopic]

I would make an on-topic reply, but- as the saying goes "If you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything."
  19. PhiladelphiaCollins

• Up x 2
  20. LordMondando

Uhh, turn shadows and physx off?

I can only infer you don't know a huge amount about the computational stress your putting your system under if you have those on, shadows at 3 even. Thats a huge amount of work to do in terms of processing in a busy warpgate or battle.
    • Up x 1