Why Hossin Sucks

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Campagne, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Campagne

Because of bull$hit like this:

[IMG]

Better hope you're in a flash, harasser, or a magburning swagrider, 'cause otherwise tough $h!t sucks to be you, thinking you'd get to cross that wide, open area with cover from above and beside and a height advantage. lol nope you're gonna be one of those losers super exposed running down the side of the hill. Either that or you'll be walking the long way around, tripling the length of your journey.

In all seriousness though, this is why Hossin sucks. Because the designers spent more time saying "this is going to be a super unique and interesting base" and not enough time thinking "will this be a practical and well thought-out base?"

This is just taking it to the extreme though. A bridge that almost no one can cross? What the fnck.
    • Up x 2
  2. Eternaloptimist

I also find moving around on foot a PITA. the poor visibility and lack of decent-size fights have been somewhat addressed and so I don't avoid Hossin any more. But getting anywhere without a big detour or long exposure? nope, only my LA can do that without much grumbling from me.
    • Up x 1
  3. LtBomber1

Aside from other flaws (in other treads)
    You got a point: On Hossin, everthing wants to be unique! On this base you have to get a shield gen to get to a point, here we have treehouse village, there is caveswamp terrain. It does feel artificial, overcomplexed. While it is cool to have some variation, Hossin overkills it.
    • Up x 1
  4. LordKrelas

Don't forget the massive amount of water that hides land mines.
    Followed by the numerous spots an aircraft can fire from, without being able to be hit.

Or the thousand trees for a drop pod to get stuck on.
    Or the thorny brambles being everywhere.

Or the ease of explosives flying off of every tree around every road.
    Or the incredibly crap roads.
    • Up x 3
  5. DestinyXYZ

hossin is awesome with a lot of interesting bases, sadly big fights are really rare there. and yeah, the water is awesome to hide tankmines to protect sundies :p using the sweeper/explosive implant helps ...
    against poor visibility simply use HV/NS scope, its really usefull on hossin.

back in the days when heat vision for vehicles was still a thing i loved hossin for PPA farming. flying under this big trees and using them as cover against AA was really fun.
  6. ArmorMan

Played on it today... what a Pain, as a vehicle you can't do sh**
  7. Cirena

Most of the bases are good but the area between them is bad.

Also some bases have some really dumb gotchas - oh you didn't know about this hidden jump pad? Have fun spending 5 minutes running the long way!
    • Up x 1
  8. Ziggurat8

Everyone is a noob on Hossin because no one ever plays there. Admit it. Your a Vet. You hate feeling like a noob again in a game you have hundreds or thousands of hours in. You're like an old person. New and different is scary! I just want it the way it's always been.

That's why you hate Hossin. More than some broken bridge no one can cross. (Pretty sure only Harassers could make that and even then it's more likely to end in fiery death)

Me? I love Hossin. I'm so burned out on everything Indar and Esamir my 2 favorites are Amerish and Hossin (though Crux/Bastion stalemates have gotten pretty played out).

I also love how most players (not saying you exactly) play 75-80% infantry but Hossin sucks cause it's not open enough to drive straight to the next base. Huh, maybe that's it? People just want to get to the next dismount point as fast as possible to get back to foot soldiering?

Getting around really is not that bad. It just takes more time to learn the roads and short cuts. Hossin is great in the sense that exploring a bit can reveal an awesome secret corridor or bypass you would never have known about if you hadnt taken the time to check things out.
    • Up x 8
  9. Ziggurat8

I have one last piece of advice.

Fly if you absolutely hate driving on Hossin.

You can pretty much fly anywhere unmolested by ground units. Valk + Infiltrator to near where you need to go then hack a terminal and pull a sundy. Find one of the millions of Sundy hidey holes (no other continent offers AMS protection better than Hossin)

Request Reinforcements and you're good to go for a full on redeployside invasion.
    • Up x 2
  10. DeadlyOmen

Why do bases have to be 'practical and well thought-out'?

Why can't they be 'challenging'?

This thread is a perfect example of the insanity of our society. Something is hard. Instead of figuring it out, the demands are that it be changed.
    • Up x 4
  11. Yessme

Hossin is a nice Conti..
    Yeap it sucks for Vihecles, but this was the Point of Hossin, infantery based Gameplay...

is`t just Players fault, not a prob of Hossin...
    only what Hossin Need , more People for gett good fights there...

Some bases are very nice..
    Like fort liberty, there i got the best fight, in my gametime.
    it was years ago, a short alert, 200-300NC vs. 200-300 VS, hole alert.
  12. FateJH

The same reason that real buildings are usually practical and well-thought out. They can be all three - practical, well-thought out, and challenging - but you want people to want to tolerate their navigation.
    • Up x 1
  13. LtBomber1

Sadly you cant, because often the vehicle terminal is in painfield...

Played Hossin, ofc i wanted it to lock asap, so i build a base when i noticed that on no other continent so much "****" (rocks, plants, obstacles) is placed than on Hossin. Those lightblubs plants still have collison hitbox, 600 m cortium spawn could call a 10 min drive (only Amerish hills are as bad). No deploy zones are huge. I logged out when done. Well, i praised the 600th player coming online opening another continent...
  14. Kcalehc

If you don't suck, you can still hack the ones in a painfield. With rank 4 or above, you have time to hack it and pull a vehicle before you die - not easy, but it can be done.
    • Up x 1
  15. ChUnKiFieR

If you hate Hossin it's because you lack the imagination and creativity to make it fun. You want easy fun laid out for you like Mommy & Daddy used to do for you.

"It's too hard to get around Hossin waaaah!" It's the same base buildings with just different scenery between them.

Shut up and play!
    • Up x 2
  16. Sil4ntChaozz

Even though Hossin is stuffed to the brim with... stuff, I love Hossin. It's challenging, it's great for flying, it tests my reaction to movement because basically everyone's invisible because of the environment, even more horrific at night.

I actually have to learn the map when sundy hunting, minus the 'speed up a bit, you've got this' bridges, (which are fun as hell on Harassers and Flashes) and getting occasionally glitched into environment, I love Hossin.

When I typed this to the squad i was in it became silent and awkward.
  17. CaptCran

The only problem I have with Hossin is the visual lag caused by all the trees, but what are you going to do??? Just enough to throw my game off. Unless there is an alert or the continent is about to lock you won't find me there, unless I need a tree to piss on ;)
  18. NikolaiLev

This is more or less why I love Hossin. I love to drive on Hossin. It's wonderful for cutting down on the vehicle spam that other continents suffer horribly from. Granted, it's unfortunate that the tree cover actually winds up benefiting air vehicles instead of restricting them, but the infantry fights are great (at the non-construction site bases, anyways).

What do you wanna bet that the people who hate Hossin (and especially the people who like Esamir - yuck!) are the same kind of people who loved to play 24/7 2fort/de_dust/etc.. servers?
    • Up x 2
  19. NXR1

So the bridge is why it sucks?

Not the landmines under the water so they cant be seen?
    Not the infils camping around every corner with a 1 hit kill knife since the entire map is CQC?
    Not the fact that vehicles get stuck on every inch of the map?
    Not the fact that air is completely useless?

THE BRIDGE!?!?!?!
    • Up x 1
  20. LordKrelas

Try fighting it, when the Enemy has the smaller aircraft and happily uses them & liberators in ample amounts.
    While the terrain makes a straight line near impossible for anything but aircraft while also exposing 60% of Sunderers to aircraft.

Esamir. Land of Salt, and incredibly spots for long-range shelling.
    Also for poorly designed bases.

Hossin is horrid.
    Let alone building in it.
    Or attacking without being an LA, when it's not the warpgate bases it seems.

I can't tell if this is a troll or not.
    Drop pods also hate the Trees, as does any AA weapon, unlike the A2G weapons which work perfectly fine.
    Add in the hidden tank mines, and perfect killing fields that are the few paths vehicles can use... which are basically exposed to aircraft 24\7, and I can't see how imagination & creativity makes that not a pointless hell.

Or should I pretend it's not hellish to maneuver on, unless you're an LA or aircraft, for the sake of imagining better things?
    In which, time is better spent imagining Esamir's murderous bases were defensible, Indar didn't have WTF-scale killing fields, and Amerish didn't have massive Cliffs creating a Physical barrier for miles on some lattice lines.

Every building in general uses identical parts.
    Doesn't mean every building is actually identical.
    As well, only hossin has the scenery that is unreliable for collision, or is there to literally make it impossible to reliably traverse.
    Heaven forbid the reminder that only Hossin has the water to hide any explosive you could dream of from bloody sight.
    Terrain makes a grand difference.

Aircraft. The only constant between Maps.