Why G2A makes no sense

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by TRspy007, Mar 3, 2020.

1. TRspy007

Very true, and then add that to the fact that air vehicles can outrun or simply stay out of range of a skyguard and take it out. Even if the skyguard deters air, then what? The skyguard becomes useless since the air threats have flown away, and then can no longer contribute anything to the fight. Not to mention if it comes across anything, it is dead meat.

After a while, the air simply comes back, even if the skyguard is by some miracle alive, the air will simply fly away again, with no hope of the skyguard doing more than tickling it.

And then we could talk about SAMs and their 1hk capability against air up to 41 miles, while our lock-ons are 3-4 shot kills against esfs at a range of 100 meters. (I didn't even bother counting for the lib or galaxies, you'll run out of rockets long before you can even set them on fire, if they don't kill you or fly out of range before).
    • Up x 2
  2. Felberin

So, I came back to the forums to complain how bad the G2A feels, and how I feel like battles go for who ever has most air nearby.

After reading this and other posts I've learned that devs don't like ground killing the air, ground should only deter air. That in mind:

How about the lockons are turned into actual deter tools then? Remove damage to HP but add other debuffs. Like eat air ammo. Air is in no mortal danger from ground, but pesky noob like me shooting persistently AA-missiles would get them to at least scoot off for minute to rearm.
    Or, something that scrambles the flight controls a bit. Making turning speeds slower. Maybe with stacking effect from multiple sources. While not directly stopping the air to do what they do best (killing everything) it would make it harder, and thus being successful while scrambled would mean you are actually more skilled than those who scoot off to wait for effect to wear off.

Maybe some rocket could turn off the engines for a while (and then you'd get some window of immunity to this effect so you have the time to scoot off). Giving that thrill of "Oh wait, maybe I am mortal!" for few seconds, before reaffirming that Air is the King.

I would also like to see increased lock-on range, maybe with tradeoff that the angle of locking decreases further away the target is, thus to lock on very distant vehicles you'd need to have pinpoint accuracy. Even if they'd not increase the rocket's fuel to reach those distances, at least the being locked sound would do some minor mental debuff to pilots. (Now that G2A lockons have actual deterring power, I'm sure most air currently don't much care if they get locked, until they've dropped below 30% health).

I mostly run solo, and that means I won't be able to use any vehicles effectively, maybe ESF but learning those has been made practically impossible with ridiculously bad controls, and the fact that the moment you lift off you either get gunned down my someone with better certed ESF or Lib or something. Or you do it in that virtual-arena where there are no air to practice with and you figure "Oh nice I can keep this thing in air for minutes without crashing, I must be good enough for real world." So my only options is carrying some lock-on, and just hope that maybe I annoy them enough to draw fire from actually important targets for couple seconds it takes anything air to swat me off.
    • Up x 2
  3. SarahM

Air can kill air. And ground. And infantry. Even solo.

When you spawn in a ground vehicle or as a planetman/-woman/-person, you fully expect to die at some point.
    But air just flies away and repairs all day long.

Why can ground vehicles or a squad of infantry not kill air just as reliably?

That most places are an open field, open topped labyrinths or otherwise lack roofs or other air cover does not help balance either.
    • Up x 2
  4. Haquim

I haven't played for a year and a half, got no Idea what has changed and I still can tell that all the people in here have are strong opinions but no facts.

First of all, if a skyguard dies to a single hornet ESF he is plain bad. The pilot has to point his nose to the skyguard all the time with a weapon that is easily inside the skyguards effective range. The skyguard on the other hand has a turret and can move in any direction while shooting the ESF.
    The post above thinks that OPEN FIELDS are basically a feeding ground for aircraft.
    Open fields means that everybody on the ground can see and consequently SHOOT aircraft.

Ill tell you the problem. The reason your AA is doing nothing is the same it always was.
    You guys decided it is crap since you cant single-handedly decimate aircraft and it lowers your KPM, you don't use it because its crap, and it does nothing because you don't use it. Then you get farmed by aircraft because your AA does nothing, and you complain on the forum because you get farmed.

Don't even try to argue otherwise, this must be at least the fifth conversation like this.

I'll tell you what I told everyone else: If aircraft is so OP, get one, get farming (flying over outposts, killing a couple before ******* off doesn't count, you really have to farm the place) and show the video here. Unedited with timestamps of course. Im especially interested in the ones showing ESFs easily killing skyguards.
    Maybe you'll manage to farm 1-12 fights, or kill a couple on a fly-by, something a harasser or a wraith flash can do too, but for some reason its not OP if they do it.

Aircraft are so incredibly overpowered that I got a couple ESF kills with pistols.
    For gods sake you could shoot most of the farmers down with your primary weapons if they come close, especially if several people try it. If you bothered to.
    Every single target the enemy aircraft can attack is a guy who can shoot back.
    If you play HA and you don't plan to use your rocketlauncher, take the AA one.
    Even if you just make the aircraft go away and repair, that is 2 minutes of peace.
    Use the tools at your disposal even if they seem ineffective - if other people get the same Idea you can decimate any air attack.
    Or don't. But then quit complaining.
    • Up x 2
  5. nadir

Your suggesting something along the lines of the original Skyguard. FFWD to 1:50.

• Up x 3
  6. ican'taim

• G2A makes no sense because I die from it. NERF PLZ
    • A2G makes no sense because I die from it. NERF PLZ
    • Tanks make no sense because I die from it. NERF PLZ
    • Maxes make no sense because I die from it. NERF PLZ
    • Harassers are too weak! My buggy can't win against a tank! BUFF PLZ
    Because of this we got CAI, the worst update in PS2's history and yall still aren't happy. Perhaps you should have supported PS:A instead of bashing it?
    Oh, and one more:
    • My 2005 Dell Latitude running Windows XP can't run the game! NERF GRAPHICS PLZ
    Now biolabs look terrible and the game looks washed out, thanks random 2005 Dell Latitude user.
    • Up x 3
  7. TRspy007

I never complained about anything before the patch, but it's gotten so ridiculous I just have to. No one in their right mind can argue that going up against air with anything other than your own air is a viable option. And if you have to say 'well air is fair because when 48 people pull lock-ons or burster MAXes, the guy has to fly away'. Yeah, really, as if AA was the only thing that scaled in this game. We're not gonna mention the killing potential of air zergs now air we? Especially thanks to that new bastion patch.

I really just want the CAI reverted, so the heavy can use launchers other than the decimator, MBTs don't have to run away from a single light assault, and air is somewhats damaged by stuff. Really, I've killed more aircraft with the commissioner than the actual AA options we have at our disposal. Of course, I'll point out that these guys were either going kamikaze or were just really bad to hover in one spot so close to the ground long enough for them to take significant damage. In most regards, I think the game would just be better if we reverted to it's first years. Really, you'll see we had a lot more pop and servers back then, and with continuous messing with things and straying further away from the Planetside 2 direction, the game drastically bled out pop. What a surprise, the game was no longer what people wanted when they first started playing it.

Planetside arena was a double edge sword. Support it and encourage the devs they were right to completely demolish what the franchise stood for hereby exterminating planetside 2 in the process, or don't support it, and risk it affecting the funding of the franchise. There was really no right/wrong way to go about it, but judging by the support planetside arena got, people who play the planetside franchise want a planetside experience. Weird isn't it? Almost like people want to experience what the game once was, and are still desperately clinging on to hope, praying one day the game is restored to it's former glory. Might be the reason why people come each time there is a hype about a new "major" update in the game, and then quickly leave after they realize the game is still heading in the wrong direction.
    • Up x 3