Why does the LA need a nerf?

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by Eclipson, Apr 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. p10k56

LAs and HAs are here for only one reason to kill somebody. IF anything deserves nerf it is engineer.
    How you will like suggestion like turret for main gun or repair tool?:mad:
  2. Ravenorth

Using jetpack is not a must thing to do if you want to survive, with carbines, SMGs and shotguns they can be effective at any combat situation expect long ranges, like every other class expect infilrator. If you die because you decided to fly at the wrong time before calculating the situation enough, then its fully your own fault, not the jetpacks fault. Same thing if engineer decides to repair, placing turret or medic rezzing at the wrong time, they die because they were too careless.

Unlike infiltrator, who lack all around gun like carbine so they have rely their ability more than any other class, since they have less health and can be effective only either close or long range.

Still effective

I have fully certed C4 on my LA and I use it all the time to take out sundies and got no issues with the deploy time, its all about right timing.

Tools and abilities are different thing and not so much related to each others, you can use abilities without relying tools, vice versa and like I said, after the LA revamp its no longer an issue.
  3. Timithos

My music is already turned down low. The AI announcements are turned down low. I'm a commander, so I don't find voice to be useless chatter ( I don't use command chat. But guess what? When people aren't talking... it's silent.) I already hear footsteps. I already hear cloakers. I can even hear the capture point terminal click-clacking away, and the howl of alien prairie beasts out on the desert plain. But explosions or no explosions I've NEVER heard an enemy jet-pack.
    • Up x 1
  4. madman278

Since they gave the infiltrator a close combat weapon, a very good one, why not give the light assault a long range sniping weapon too.. It's fair, they can't cloak so they will have to use cover and camo to hide in the terrain. There already is the concept of cross class roles. They are stuffing too many extra roles to the eng class, like anti-infantry, anti-vehicle, repair, re-ammo, etc.. spread it out alittle. Give the other classes ability to spawn turrets or maybe spawn bridges segments so it gives your squad a tactical advantage. Something the light assault can do, like drop off steppable segments to form a bridge. Maybe give the infiltrator a group cloak ability..
  5. randalthorr

Spot on. An LA assaults into the base, face on and taking fire.
    An infiltrator infiltrates and takes out their AI.

There is nothing to fix or nerf.
  6. Aegie

Turn the music off.

So your awareness is already handicapped by being a commander- that comes with the job.

If you hear footsteps on a regular basis but have never heard an enemy jetpack then probably what is happening is that the LA isn't jetpacking- they already jetpacked and they are just dropping from where they are, as silently as anyone esle would.

I think part of the problem is that people want to hear the jetpacks so they can neutralize the flanking ability of the LA- if you do that then the jetpack is pointless because not only would your ability to fight back be nerfed while jetpacking but everyone will know where you are. How loud should it be?

BTW, as soon as the LA shoots they show up on the minimap (unless the weapon has a supressor) and make lots of noise- thereby alerting anyone nearby of the position. What that means is that the only person who is really affected by the sound of the jetpack is the first person to get shot- if you're not alone it's probably not nearly that big of an issue.
  7. Aegie

Jumping is not jetpacking. Other classes have tools that benefit them while they can shoot without drawback. LA has no tool and can hardly return effective fire while jetpacking.

This is why I have never asked for an infiltrator nerf- they can own but so can everyone else if you play well.

Yes, anything will hit a target if the target fills the entire screen.

I'm sure you've never died trying to use C4.

No LA revamp yet, so it is an issue.
  8. ColdCheezePizza

I love playing LA, especially with an autoshotgun, but I still think its ridiculous how easy it is to sneak up on a group of people and wipe them out sometimes. LA shouldnt be allowed to carry pumps or at least give them some sort of penalty like reduced movement speed or something for balancings sake, afterall a pump probably weighs more than a light assault. It also boggles my mind how shooting a shotty doesnt alter or affect your trajectory when its done in midair or while jetpacking, the pump should especially push them back a few feet after every shot, i mean cmon man at least dislocate the LA's shoulder or something
    • Up x 1
  9. Eclipson

Sneaking up on people is easy for two reasons. One, obviously, because you are coming from a roof, people won't notice you. But two, people are just so dang unaware in this game its not even funny.
  10. Bill Hicks

Wha? bad shotgunners got owned by carbines at 11 M
  11. Jokkie

They help their team by killing the enemy. IMO, they are the best at clearing rooms with windows (flash grenades), essential for biolab assault/defence, towers, basically anything with buildings. They can jet pack over enemy lines to blow up armor, or drop c4 on those maxes the heavies are failing to kill.
  12. GSZenith

oh yes an infiltrator can hack an empty base.../clap /clap, notice how there isn't a ribbon for hacking but everything else? yeah.
  13. Aegie

No ribbon for the non-existent tool LAs have, no ribbon for jetpacking either. No ribbon for cloaking as far as I'm aware.
  14. Aegie

Are you saying its okay for LA to have an autoshotgun that far exceeds the DPS of a PAS but not a PAS? The only time shooting a shotgun with a LA in midair even matters is when the target fills most of the screen. Dislocate a shoulder, a pump but not an autoshotgun? As long as you're shouldering the weapon properly it will never dislocate your shoulder and if you want to bring real life into it then it would be much easier to keep a pump action shotgun properly seated than an automatic shotgun. I suppose they could implement code that allowed recoil force to transfer to the body in such a way that a midair LA would notice but you would have to do this for anyone jumping and firing.
  15. Makora

LA needs a sound to their jetpack. AND, infiltrators need a buff to the length of time that they can stay cloaked. That is all that is needed.

Being able to identify a light assault in the vicinity by sound alone would trigger a player into being more mindful of an LA in close proximity.

Infiltrator cloak is largely ineffective because you are seen easily when moving, and chances are your cloak will run out before you reach a safe spot. Even if you had your path from A to B planned out to the second you're taking too many breaks where you cloak and decloak. Making two very distinct sounds per stop.

Bonus points to infiltrators if cloak didn't stop you from shooting. Just that if you fired your cloak would break, taking a chunk of energy with it.
  16. ColdCheezePizza

dislocated shoulder was in jest, but yes I agree all shotguns, not only pumps should affect a hovering LA even if its subtle. But we all know that will never happen
  17. Aegie

Yes, I would think implementing that kind of code would be more trouble than it is worth and I imagine that it would make a lot of players unhappy. Personally, I've never really cared much for shotguns except for slugs with a 4x scope since there are no other semi-automatic options available for most classes (aside from the side arm) and even the ones that exist (battle rifles) are still not very competitive.
  18. Goretzu

Again scout radar isn't the same thing as jetpack being much more quiet than the stealth sound, nor can you have a flash scout everywhere you will come across LAs.

With infiltrators you know the potential path of their approach, you have footsteps and the very loud (comparatively) stealth sound to listen out for (this is assuming people don't have the settings lowers so the can spot cloakers very easily when cloaked too).

With LA you don't really have a clue which direction they will come from, and you only really have footstep to hear them coming.

With LA currently you could double the sound level of the Jetpack and it would still be pretty quiet.
  19. Aegie

I think the jetpack is not as loud as the cloak because the jetpack does not make you invisible, drop from the minimap if you just fired or were Q spotted, or prevent you from being Q spotted in the first place.

No, perhaps you cannot have a scout flash everywhere but if you could then you would always be countering the mobility of the LA because you would always know where they are and where they are going. I think this is part of the issue, it seems that people who complain about LAs getting the drop on them want some way to always know where every LA is at all times but doing so not only would eliminate what distinguishes a good player from a bad one but would neuter the mobility of the LA because using the only thing you have (the jetpack) would not only make it so you are relatively unable to fight back but would also alert everyone nearby of where you are. Again, the LA cannot push a button and disappear from the minimap if they just fired or are Q spotted.

Do you? Since infiltrators can drop pod onto any surface in the game that complicates this a little. Even forgetting that for a moment, most rooftops are accessible by stairs so any class can get there. Places like Tech plants are a little different but if you really want to you can still get into a lot of out of the way places with anyone. The very tops of towers, again unless you drop pod, are another place where you will almost always only see LAs but these are fairly exposed and if you know how to check them a LA around the spire of a tower is a sitting duck (to aircraft, tanks and infantry). Here you are again comparing LA to infiltrator and are essentially saying "but the infiltrator cannot jetpack"- you're right, only the LA can jetpack and that is the way it should be because (a) it is a light assault and (b) the jetpack is pretty much the only thing it has. The only direction an infiltrator cannot really approach you from is above- of course, they could be 300m away on top of that ridge and OHK without providing any warning whatsoever.

3 places- in front of you, behind you or above you (if there is something nearby that is also above you). That is one more place than other classes can always use- above (and btw, other classes can shoot from above in a lot of scenarios). For this ability you trade all the other class abilities- overshield, self-heal, rez, repair, infinite ammo, infinite ammo turrets, infinite turrets, AV turrets, AV RLs, OHK RLs, radar dart, OHK rifles, LMGs, and access to some other weapons as well.

Or you can travel with teammates instead of alone, keep your eyes out for nearby overhead structures, adjust the various volume levels to make sound effects clearer, cert into radar for your flash or other vehicles, use the radar dart the infiltrator has, keep an eye on all the doorways when you are indoors, etc. All of these will help eliminate the advantage you speak of- the only real advantage a LA has. If you make the jetpack loud enough that it is obvious for nearby enemies then you have ruined the advantage to mobility the jetpack provides because utilizing that mobility (1) makes it difficult if not impossible to fight back in most cases and (2) will give your location to every nearby enemy making it much more difficult to flank anyone that is not afk.

Go play LA. It has the fewest perks of any of the classes and is not so easy to play. You often spend time trying to get into good positions to take advantage of the class ability and often times will die trying to do so and you are never really gauranteed a kill even if you do surprise someone. The more out of the way place you find yourself, the less likely you are to benefit from rez, ammo packs, etc. It is a fun class to play, that is true, and you will definitely take out targets that had no idea where you were but LA is hardly OP compared to the other classes. Any class can take people out by surprise, I've been surprised by plenty of infiltrators OHK from out of nowhere, HAs that come around unexpected corners or drop from rooftops, engineers that are shooting OHK AV rockets from so far off you cannot effectively fight back (unless you're an infiltrator), and I have also been killed many times by people I just took out because a lvl5 medic instarezzed them when I turned towards another target. Every class can get cheap kills (peek-a-boo OHK RLs anyone?) at least with the LA you actually have to work for those by taking the time and having the intelligence to find a good position- even still you will have to use your skill to take out the target, it is just that your mobility can give you an advantage (just like other class' abilities give advantages).
  20. Ash87

Look, LA does NOT need to be nerfed. Period. Nothing needs to be Nerfed about the LA. It is still a very skill heavy class. We need to buff infiltrator if we need to do anything, so that it has greater utility to justify it's weaker state.
    • Up x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.