Why does hit reg feel so bad now?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Klondor, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Klondor

Title sums it up.
    For a few months now, the game feels absolutely horrible to play. I'm dumping most of my magazine into people and not seeing any results from it. Despite headshots, or concentrated center mass, i'm not scoring enough damage. I'm often seeing shield flares with no hit indicators when firing on people as well.

Is anyone else experincing this?
    (TR, Emerald if that has anything to do with it)
  2. guerrillaman

3. DemonicTreerat

Wouldn't happen to be playing during Asian prime time would you?

I've seen a LOT of "odd" occurrences when they populate the server. Groups of infantry that can be run over by a Vanguard and take no damage at all, getting the drop on someone and emptying half a mag into them only to get take out by back to back head shots from an LMG, swinging extremely wide of fights to set up a stealth (and locked) Sunderer only to have several tanks and/ or ESFs arrive moments later, and the list goes on.
  4. Liewec123

welcome to our world! ;)
    i remember when you uploaded your max and MCG vids and i was so jealous that your weapons were actually doing something!
    fast fire weapons have always been like this for me,
    the enemies shield will light up like a christmas tree but my bullets will be doing a whole-load-of-nothing.

if i use my jackhammer in 3x burst mode it does considerably less damage than single shot mode lol
  5. The Shady Engineer

Emerald TR here too, hit reg has definitely been wonky lately. Especially in larger fights.

Also noticed it gets progressively worse as time goes on. Restarting the client every hour to hour and a half helps, at least for me. It's not perfect but a band aid solution is better than nothing.
    • Up x 2
  6. OldMaster80

Miller here, and I've been killed behind corners a few times today. Yes it sucks.
  7. Chubzdoomer

I was having some bizarre moments last night on Emerald where I'd fire a Decimator into a room full of guys and not get a single hit marker. I checked and my server latency was around ~80 which while not great, also isn't terrible by any means. It happened on at least 2 or 3 separate occasions.
  8. ridicOne

Emerald people complaining about hit reg... should check out Connery that server has had issues for the last 5 years...
  9. The Shady Engineer

I think that has less to do with the server and more with the latency of the playerbase. People from Asia playing on a North American server and all that. Emerald is more consistent in that regard.
  10. ridicOne

Except for the fact that's since they've closed the Asian servers, which was maybe 2 years ago. I've stated as far back as since the games inception. Which at that point in time the foreign reign of players didn't exist. Connery was the Live test server.
  11. Klondor

I'll keep this in mind, i havent payed much attention to how it works over time, but i have noticed on one occasion, i did a marathon run of 6 hrs in game, and my kill ratio plummeted because i just couldnt hurt anything.
  12. MonnyMoony

It's terrible at the moment.

I have been running with Pandora (auto shotty) for the last few days. I have been unloading entire clips at somebody a few metres away and not get a single hit marker.

I'm on Cobalt.
  13. LordKrelas

That, that might just be shotgun RNG.
    But the problem itself likely exists, which just further causes less shots to hit in addition to the RNG mess.
  14. Klondor

My TR main is on Connery, and the problem has been the same. I started on Connery and moved to Emerald to get away from certain players who would harass me. Aside from the Koreans, and Japanese, most times i have better hit reg on Connery, and a pretty decent time on Emerald as well, though recently, as the title of the thread states has been kind of wonky. :eek:
  15. RockPlanetSide2

100% accurate, the game is having serious hit recognition issues.
  16. UberNoob1337101

I don't know why, but sometimes on Memerald I fire a pump-action blast into someone's face and they barely lose a sliver of health. Sometimes they don't even register. And sometimes people take like 12 or so bullets to kill with 200 dmg weapons. I dunno why, but it's pretty absurd these days. Went back to the EU servers and I'm not having the same amount of issues, maybe because my ping there is always 60 or below, but there isn't nearly as much shenanigans as on the US servers.
  17. JibbaJabba

I generally check this at the death screen. I'll unload into someone before they kill me then the death screen shows they didn't even take a sliver of damage.

Is it the death screen itself that's busted? I mean are they over there about to bleed out but the death screen shows them still at full shield? It would be awesome if someone could confirm with a buddy, or maybe chat to ask at their killer.

I don't think it's a latency thing. I've had targets moving towards me with zero deflection. Even if client+server do not agree on actual player position, the position would still be in the line of fire. Again though... hits not registering at least according to the death screen.
  18. FateJH

Never blindly trust what you see on the killscreen. At the very least, never trust the "person who dealt the killing blow" panel. It ranges from outdated to inaccurate to outdated and inaccurate. I give this advice to everyone who asks about it.
    • Up x 2
  19. Rydenan

Most of these problems sound like latency issues rather than hit detection. Hit detection is calculated locally, on the shooter's machine, so theoretically it has nothing to do with the network. I've never had issues with my shots not registering as hits, but the CoF mechanics and weapon damage models do make this a very high-ttk game (hence why it can feel like it takes a whole magazine to kill someone).
    But the fact that hit detection is clientside means that the person who is getting shot doesn't see so until a few hundred milliseconds later, often giving the impression of short TTKs.
    The other phenomena in this thread can be explaned by latency as well:
    - Dying behind cover: Because of network latency, when you move, it takes a few hundred milliseconds for you to make that move on other players' computers. Recall that hit detection, however, is calculated on the shooter's computer. So when you duck behind cover, your avatar on the opponent's computer will not do so for another half second or so. During that time, they can 'legally' still shoot you, since the world state on their machine is what matters. If they happen to kill you, their machine sends this info back to the server and then to your machine (where you're already behind cover), informing you that you've died. Then you die.
    - Opponent has full health: when your opponent shoots you, there is a half second delay before you see that this is happening. Then there is your reaction time. At this point, your opponent may already have killed you on his end (which is what counts, because, again, client-side hit detection). However, this death needs another half a second to get to you as well, giving you a bit of time to fire off some shots. However, you're actually already dead, so when you die and everything syncs up, your opponent hasn't taken any damage (because you technically fired your shots after you died.)

Not saying actual hit registration issues aren't a thing. It's just that I've never experienced nor seen a video of it before.
    • Up x 2
  20. Erendil

I've been experiencing the same thing on Connery ever since the Update on 6/08.

After about 2-3 hours, if it gets really bad it can become pretty obvious what's going on, as suddenly 1/4 to 1/2 of the dots on the minimap stop moving smoothly and start shuddering and skittering around, and avatars will occasionally skate around and dip into the ground, into walls, etc.

I don't need to do a full client restart though. Just logging out of that char and back in seems to reset it and then everything is fine for another couple of hours.

And of course all through this my ping is a steady ~70ms to the server, server ping is 30-40ms, and my connection quality is listed as "good." :mad:
    • Up x 1