Why does DBG allows NC's terrible low win rate?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Humoreske, Oct 14, 2017.

1. Killer Medic

Only thing it needs is a hot dominatrix and some whips to complete the masochism of being on NC on Emarald...
  2. Purp

This weekend's (10/21- 10/22) Alert totals:

Emerald

peak pop: 1446

VS 11, TR 11, NC 0
    VS 50%, TR 50%, NC 0%

NC started at least one alert on Saturday and were quickly and effortlessly smashed to the ground- third place.

On the European servers NC seems to do better:

Miller

peak pop: 1397

VS 5, TR 7, NC 7
    VS 26%, TR 37%, NC 37%

Connery

peak pop: 1107

VS 5, TR 5, NC 5
    VS 33%, TR 33%, NC 33%
  3. Lamat

I wonder what the factional population levels are like on those other servers. Interesting Connery had a perfect divide between factions.
  4. stalkish

LOL first thing i said when i saw armour was, 'wow they look fat'.
    Looks out of place, like a fat footballer (soccer player for you Americans), Gazza at the end of his career lol.
  5. stalkish

Did you mean to write Connery at the end? Or did you mean Cobalt?
  6. stalkish

Its not just about raw TKs tho, i think better to compare enemy kills made to friendly kills made, it seems more of a test of an empires ability to kill opponents over itself, who cares about some collateral damage if your enemy has been completely wiped out ;)

Heres a quick excercise for you, ive done this myself.
    Go here http://ps2.fisu.pw/activity and get the Kills / TK numbers of each empire.
    Then divide the Kills by Team Kills.

Think youll be suprised who comes out on top of this 'Kill per TK' ratio, i was when i did it, and I continue to be (see below).
    Ill give you a hint, its the often mentioned 'most organised faction'......

Here is a quick one i did just for a test:
    Miller - as of 16:52 BST(GMT+1) for the last hour:
    Kills: VS - 5,659, NC - 6,717, TR - 5,850
    TKs: VS - 270, NC - 269, TR - 238
    So the K:TK ratios are:
    VS 21:1
    NC 25:1
    TR 25:1

(figures rounded to nearest whole)
    So for every 25 kills a TR or NC get, on average for the last hour on the Miller server, they made a TK.
    For every 21 kills a VS got, on average for the last hour on the Miller server, they made a TK.

This is far from conclusive evidence, but interesting to look at.
    I did all servers for the last hour once, adding them all together, its around here in a thread somewhere, the order was the same, VS had a lower K:TK ratio (higher is better).
    • Up x 2
  7. Icehole1999

I'm exclusively TR, and I'd rather fight dopey hillbilly rebels with shotguns any day rather than fanatical cultists with scary alien technology.
  8. Xada

Obviously we need scarier shotguns.
    • Up x 6
  9. Lamat

And scarier looking NC models that aren't bright colored cartoony self-parodies
    • Up x 4
  10. Killer Medic

Hence why I've seen a major NC outfit on VS now...people are quitting NC and the game is pretty much a two faction game. In fact, as I've said before, I know there's collusion between those two anyway...at least the major guilds. Saw it this weekend were VS started the alert..and just guess who TR started to zerg? Give you a hint...it wasn't VS..in fact, they had token people on that front...they were all on the NC front, thus guaranteeing the VS win. Sorry, but when that happens repeatedly..and VS does it to help TR win, it doesn't take an Einstein to see what's happening.

Game is dying and nearly dead because of this alert system and the ******** that has come with it. Once again, thanks for nothing, Wrel.
    • Up x 1
  11. The Shady Engineer

Interesting. I, for one, prefer facing spandex-clad brainwashed teenaged weeaboos running around with swords on their backs firing their pew pew lazors than highly paid mercenaries who have made war their profession armed with electromagnetic accelerators and scatter cannons that shoot slugs the size of your fist.

Seriously though, I have 2500 more Vanu kills than I do NC. I find their higher per capita skill and better handling weapons easier to deal with than the high alpha damage or shotgun NC. At least when Joe McBattlerank 12 gets lucky and shoots me in the head with an Orion I don't lose half my health. :confused:
    • Up x 1
  12. Lamat

If you think about it, NC is essentially the opposite of TR, it's a quality versus quantity comparison.

TR = Quantity, more dakka --> low damage, higher ROF, large magazines, inaccurate --> less accurate but you can afford to miss

NC = Quality, powerhouse damage --> high damage, lower ROF, small magazines, very accurate --> easier to hit, but misses are less forgiving

VS = Balanced between both extremes --> versatility

I think where NC weapons are off, the Gauss Saw in particular, is that they don't have the high accuracy (past 1st shot) to complement the high damage in the same way that TR has the magazine size to complement high ROF. And with already low ROF, you shouldn't have to burst fire much to hit the target unless your damage is high enough to make up for that loss. Looking at the Gauss SAW, it should probably have a major drop in magazine size, down to like 40-50, then make it way more accurate so that you can full-auto no problem, and give it improved but not OP hip-fire. Maybe call it the Gauss SAW MK2 and make this the default NC LMG.

Take the Cyclone for example, like the Reaver's Vortek, this is the ultimate NC faction trait gun, it's all about QUALITY OVER QUANTITY: it can deliver high damage accurately and just destroy at close range, but has a really small magazine so you have to be very careful especially when dealing with multiple enemies.

All factions should have options along the Quality vs Quantity scale though, but each faction has the best in their camp. VS would have the best compromise between accuracy and dakka along with it's weird sci-fi niche weapons.
    • Up x 2
  13. TooFewSecrets

It's not the TR and VS's fault that the NC has horrible coordination and zerging problems.

Let's say VS starts an alert. (The same would apply more or less for the TR.)

The VS is fully focused on defending, while the TR is focusing on attacking the VS. The VS is much more effective at stopping NC attacks than the TR, because they're entirely focused on defending, rather than attacking. When the NC attacks keep hitting a wall on the VS front, the uncoordinated players just go to better farms against the TR, who have less population focused on defending, thus making it less likely that the NC's Sunderer(s) (usually single) get destroyed and force them to another fight.

The NC's zerg continues against the TR for a time, leaving the VS untouched, until the TR realizes the NC has eaten 5 territories, and redirects its forces to that front. However, because there's now a huge NC zerg, it's almost impossible to get to their logistics, and even if they do manage it, a few dozen players will respawn at the nearest base, some will pull more Sunderers, and get back to the fight they were winning - as opposed to the smaller fights earlier with the VS, where the battle was pretty much over when the single Sunderer went down.

Now the VS starts eating the completely undefended TR and NC fronts, and the alert eventually ends with 50%+ VS control.

OR, let's have the NC start an alert.

The NC isn't too focused on defending, while both the TR and VS are focused on attacking the NC. When NC players start losing fights in the 2-to-1 battles they usually end up in, they head off to different, more proportional fights, ignoring the fact that a large chunk of their territory is now being taken by the two other factions.

When the NC starts winning a fight, they're more likely to stay there and see it through due to the lack of commanders, rather than redeploy somewhere else to make better usage of their numbers. Therefore, we get two or three blocks of 24-48 or 48-96 NC, while several other bases are 0 or 1-12. Single VS or TR squads exploit these locations, and end up cutting off the territory the big blocks are built up on, meaning that they're now not only overpopulated, they're also fighting over nothing, in the context of the alert.

The NC thus leaves about half of their front completely undefended, and gets cut to pieces by the other two factions, losing the alert with 20% control.
  14. adamts01

All your examples are true, but that only proves that players who know better don't play NC. And since this is spread across all servers throughout the history of the game, it's important to find the underlying reasons why that's the case.
    • Up x 1
  15. TooFewSecrets

They have the worst faction gimmick - harder to use, less reliable at most ranges, and don't even have higher dps when they're at a good range, because you HAVE to burstfire. Most of their ES gimmick weaponry is also the worst among the three factions - contrast the Phoenix with the Lancer or Striker. New players don't realize this for a while, and by the time they do and swap factions, they're much more skilled at the game in general. Higher level players tend to be better at SL/PLing, and NC's lacking in higher level players, so they don't have the coordination necessary to be competitive.
    • Up x 5
  16. adamts01

I 100% agree, which is why I think blaming leadership isn't productive.
    • Up x 4
  17. Purp

Monday and Tuesday's (10/23- 10/24/17) alert totals:

Emerald
    Peak pop: 1329

VS 10, TR 5, NC 1
    VS 63%, TR 31%, NC 6%

Miller
    Peak pop: 1397

VS 5, TR 5, NC 1
    VS 45%, TR 45%, NC 9%

Connery
    Peak pop: 770

VS 7, TR 3, NC 0
    VS 70%, TR 30%, NC 0%

Quite a shift from the weekend numbers, Miller and Connery had a much stronger NC showing this weekend. Now NC is low across the board.

For reference:

18. The Shady Engineer

Are those win numbers exclusively for the initiating faction?

I made a new Connery NC, might say I took adamts' walk the walk challenge, and last played it on the 23rd during an Indar alert where the NC smashed by a good margin towards the end. Something like 55% NC, 35% VS and TR borderline warpgated. The alert was started by the VS though, is this why it's not showing up?
    • Up x 1
  19. Lamat

That's why I think NC needs an accuracy buff with possible magazine reductions to balance. NC is the quality over quantity faction, less bullets that do more damage should also be more accurate, it's the opposite of spray and pray.

Rather than managing unwieldy recoil you'd have to be cautious with limited magazines and even though you are more accurate, any misses really hurt your DPS.
    • Up x 2
  20. Purp

I am getting my data from http://ps2.fisu.pw/alert/.

Below is what comes from the entries on that site. Notice on the site that there are some entries marked as "unavailable" which I would take as the initiating faction did not "Control territory to lock" the continent. There is a ton of great data from this site!

It says "
    Past Alerts

Showing the latest alerts per server. The data is updated every minute so it is possible some winners may be incorrect."

and at the end of each entry is "Control territory to lock Esamir".