Why do you play PlanetSide2?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Aesir, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Aesir

Hello everyone,

as the title says, I would like to know what the general opinion is as to why do you actually play PlanetSide2 and what expectations do you have for it's future.

Not the "Size Matters" theme but why from a gameplay perspective. Are you here for massive Infantry battles or are the massive Vehicle battles the thing your after? Or are you here for the combined arms approach, were several different arms have to work together to achieve their goals?

Because as of now, there is no clear line in this game, there is neither combined arms and neither heavy focus on anything. Nor are there any barriers that require Infantry, Armor and Air to work together, you actually don't even get a benefit from doing so.

It would interest me mainly because why are not all the Tankers Playing "World of Tanks" or why are not all the Infantry guys into other FPS games over PlanetSide. You all must have a reason why you play it, which is probably linked to a certain expectation to the game.

Why ask this question? Well, we all hopefully want to improve the game over time and spent our own personal free time as best we can, but only whining about what doesn't work or what is OP won't really drive us forward because actually, we have no clear end goal.

Since Beta we had many ups and downs for everybody from a balance standpoint, while things like the UI and performance have been steadily becoming better, the basic game is still BF3 Conquest meets "Everybody can spawn a Tank" on a large scale. And adding continent locking will not change much of that for most Players, except a few Outfit Leaders.

Is this concept really enough to carry the game through many years to come as SOE claims? Or would you like to have a more "intelligent" game since SOE claims they are going for the long run?

Well, I will go first ...
    -----

My personal expectation would be a more combined arms orientated game on a large scale, were new Players can quickly jump into a certain role. All of them should be viable and desired on the field.

Be that Infantry, Armor or Air. But picking a role or defined playstyle should have more impact, that choice should mean something I think. I'm personally think this game can never turn into an combined arms game as long as we have access to everything at the same time.

Each aspect should have it's own and desired space on the playfield but should still be able to "enter" the playfields of the others under high risk. Not through "hard" counters but actually through limitations and differences in terrain.

Taking bases should take be more difficult and should need Infantry, Tanks and Aircrafts to work together in order for a successful capture.

-----

That is all, I'm looking forward to the opinions of others.
    • Up x 4
  2. nooblet91698

Because the game is fun, and more mobile and easier to access than console games. Also I like computer games better than console games, and this game is a free FPS, not an RPG.
  3. HadesR

To kill stuff .. Because that's pretty much all there is to do atm .. And if going to kill stuff you might as well do it on a Grand scale right ?
  4. Blarg20011

Killing dirty blues is fun.
  5. Zorro

I play for the combined arms, for the grand scale, and for the community. Sadly, tank, aircraft, and infantry combat are all lacking.
    • Up x 1
  6. Tommyp2006

I'm here for big battles and freedom of movement, something that other shooters can't offer.
    • Up x 6
  7. lesserbob

Big Battles. Im just over small engagement FPS. Its the scale I keep coming back for
  8. VSDerp

My friends and how fun the game is for me. i played BF4 for like 2 weeks and just missed planetside 2. just really love this game.
    • Up x 1
  9. Ash87

To make Red vs. Blue jokes...

And because it's a fun game to me, that reminds me of older shooters. I enjoy my outfit, and I enjoy running ops with them.
  10. hawken is better

It's free.
    • Up x 1
  11. Flashtirade

I came here for combined arms with big maps and mechanics that support all kinds of playstyles. Aside from the daily cert sign-ins, I've left because the game currently doesn't offer that very well.
    • Up x 2
  12. Syphers

13. Aesir

Let me answer this with something ...

[IMG]

Are you sure it's nothing else?
    • Up x 1
  14. Bankrotas

Honestly, I don't ******* know anymore :/
  15. Aesir

Which is why I also asked for expectations. If you no longer know why you currently play it, what about the things that made you come in the first place?
  16. Blackinvictus

I'm taking a break from it for a bit. I haven't stopped my sub because I am holding out for some new content that maybe has some kind of meta game associated with it.

It really has huge potential, but the buzz of this game, which has been fantastic at times has now worn off for me after a year.

EDIT: As to what made me start playing, the big, epic three way PVP battles reminded me alot of DAOC's RVR system, which was fun as hell.
  17. Bankrotas

Whenever I start playing the game, I don't really expect much. Putting too much hope into the game does only disservice to it. So I had none. I started playing with Rock Paper Shotgun community on Miller and only saving grace was, that I was well informed about the game and point of it. However, I did not play in beta just not to ruin my launch experience (which was wrong move actually, to think of it) and joining VS with whole community was bad idea actually. I didn't like VS weapons at all and after a while I chanced to run into RTRS (RPS NC division back then) and join them, NC weapons kept me going long while, since they felt and still do feel way better than other two factions only due to sound design being so great.
    I've spent over 1200 hours on this char with some dabbling on VS (never fully like it though). Now I think, only thing keeps me playing is stats.dasanfall achievements (I want to get Scourge of the server) and 1,5M to go till BR 100. Otherwise, when I log in, each day, I just play a bit and see the map and stop wanting to play at all. More or less, I feel that NC is still tiny UP and always will be (I don't have any proof and not gonna shout nonsense like that without evidence, but I have rights to have an opinion, damn it) and that makes me question, why should I play this game :/. I've invested too much time in this character and it being tied so much to one place and not bringing that much fun makes me a bit sad.

Is this enough of explaremovednation?

- Great post, don't make us remove it. - Piestro
  18. Pat22

I enjoy murdering people, be it on a 1v1 or massive platoon v platoon scale.
  19. ZeroErrorz

MASSIVE COMBAT,FREE,and its not as generic as most of the fps at the market now, also I LOVE JET/TANK COCKPIT
    • Up x 1
  20. The Rogue Wolf

It's a unique kind of game where I can lonewolf it up, and if I'm doing well I can actually make a difference to the battle, but if I'm just falling on my face it isn't likely to hurt the efforts of others very much. Plus it doesn't rely solely on twitch-aim or knowledge of camp spots.
    • Up x 1