Why do people think the heavy assault is overpowered?

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by LectraWyraph, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Hiding in VR

And I am getting tired of finding that everyone that agrees with this nerf has higher KDRs in other classes! Your Medic and LA have better KDRs than your HA, why do you think it needs a nerf?
  2. Ghenko

Sorry Wobberjockey dude but you are just plain wrong. I play HA almost exclusively. The shield is definitely NOT an instant "I win" button. Every infantry weapon I go against in every situation has noticeably better DPS. This alone offsets the extra HPs the shield provides. The end result of an encounter is always determined by who saw who first and who had the better aim. The only time the shield saves me is when I am being fired upon by someone I haven't spotted yet, I happen to already be in motion, and my shield buys me enough time to get behind cover. This happens maybe 10% of the time. Every other time someone gets the jump on me I die, shield or no shield. Alternately because I move slower and am lit up like a xmas tree, the shield ends up getting me killed more often than it saves me. As others have mentioned here TTK is generally so short in this game I don't even have enough time to react and turn on the shield if I am under fire from someone relatively close by that saw me first. The shield can not even come close to making up for a lack of situational awareness. And while it is nice to be versatile, the fact is every time I try to engage in some AV or AI I become sniper fodder. It aint as ez as you make it out to be, bro.

Because LMGs are inferior and the shield simply offsets this, IMO the penalties for the shield are completely un-necessary. If I see an in range Inf first, and I can manage to track him well enough to hit him reliably, then yes that is a fight I generally win if I aimed well enough. I don't see why that is a problem. The shield definitely does not "save" me from an Inf who successfully used their abilities to get the jump on me, ever.

IMO HA's are in general weaker than both LA's and Infs. These 2 classes have the skills that allow them to flank their targets and fire first, which in 99% of situations results in success. They also both enjoy movement speed buffs, which in combination with flight/stealth are IMO a far greater advantages than the HA over-shield. The "penalty" for their skills is less HP's (by virtue of having no extra over-shield). This is a minor penalty at best. A LA at full sprint 50m away is HARD AS HELL to hit.

I would estimate that 70 - 80% of my deaths in this game have come at the hands of either an Inf or a LA. Most of the rest are from Maxes. Frankly aside from maybe the Medic, the HA is the class I fear the least in this game. The idea that the over-shield allows HA's to force their way into a room, or win a fight where they didn't either fire first or at the same time, is laughable. It is far too weak for that. If this is happening to you as an Inf, then its an aiming problem, not an imbalance problem.

If your skills allow you to insta-gib your targets before they can even react, you aren't even taking damage so any reduced HP "penalty" is meaningless. Reduced movement speed and a halo around you are always meaningful penalties. If anything I think the HA could use some love, and definitely does NOT need a nerf. IMO removing either the movement penalty or the halo, or both, would help. Otherwise let HA's use any weapon available so they aren't ALSO suffering a DPS penalty.
    • Up x 3
  3. minhalexus

Usually i always find myself dying to a Heavy assault if i'm playing my infiltrator with a SMG.

SMGs kill you slow enough for the heavy's to pop up their shields, turn around, fire at you, and die along side with you.

Other than the infiltrator, its pretty balanced IMO.
    Just saying i'm not asking for a infiltrator buff or anything, they are supposed to be squishy and that is how they are working.
  4. sumsitup

[quote="quote[/quote]

Nice post. However, you should probably fear medics more already. My overall KD w/ medic is just as good as with HA, but I've got higher hs ratings and accuraccy ratings with all assault rifles than I do with LMGs. I think overall accuraccy with LMGs is around 27% and hs rating around 28%, with assault rifles it is closed to 31% accurracy and 32% hs rating.

If I am up against the average player and they are running heavy and I have my medic, I have no problem usually if they get the jump on me by hitting their head (which even after today's update is still stupidly easy with assault rifles). Against good heavies in a 1v1, the winner will usually be determined by who saw who first on the screen. Even against good heavies on even ground, I win maybe very slightly less than 50% of the time.

If you don't already fear medics, wait until this nerf goes through and all of the apex predators (the guys that are 2-3 tiers above my skill level) are using assault rifles. I suspect there will be more LA, Engie, Infil tears and then SOE will find a way to ruin medic.
  5. Killerdude8

I don't see it the new change as a nerf, more of a mechanical adjustment, It will still achieve the same outcome, but only if used by someone who is skilled at it. It's no longer the Reflex button, but a Press this button and prepare for a **** storm.

I think a more appropriate metaphor would be Switching from and Automatic to a Standard, The power of the Engine stays the Same, but Driving the car feels different.
  6. Corvus Corax

Only way I see this working is if they increase shield durability and timing. Because as it is currently the ramp up time will result in mid-to-CQC deaths immediately.
    • Up x 1
  7. FancyCat

I think it's the same knee jerk reaction you see in every shooter; I got killed by X, therefore X is overpowered.
    • Up x 1
  8. SinerAthin

Not to mention remove the movement speed penalty.

Otherwise the heavy will be nothing else but a stationary defender. And no one does that better than the Engineer anyway.
  9. LibertyRevolution

So, I spent the last 2 days playing nothing but HA with a stock orion on a LowLevelNoob, my conclusion is that HA is definitely OP.
  10. LeCharles

Actually, the automatic loses power because of how it works; so, the power at the wheels is actually lower versus the manual.
  11. Chubzdoomer

The "I Win!" shield probably has something to do with it. A shielded HA can defeat any other non-MAX class in the game 1v1 with plenty health to spare. The fact that they also carry rocket launchers only makes them that much more potent!
  12. Hiding in VR

Not being usable as a reflex action seems like a pretty big nerf to me, since that's mainly how I use it. When I am running a planned action I try not to get into situation where I would need a shield, to be honest.
  13. Hiding in VR

Really? Well since you pointed us at the character lets look at LowLevelNoob's class KDRs:

HA 0.36
    Eng 5.53

Now for which class does LowLevelNoob have the lowest Score Per Minute? Anyone want to take a guess? HA.

Wow, that is amazing evidence for the need to nerf the HA :rolleyes:
  14. LibertyRevolution

My SPM per class don't mean anything when I have no time in them..
    My Max has 19mins, for a SPM of 500, with max punch being most accurate weapon lol.
    My eng is the 3 hours I spent in a lib, lol..

Just look at my HA stats, 43 hours of my total 47 playtime...
    https://www.planetside2.com/players/#!/5428147970869682545/stats
    43 Hours as HA.
    32% ACC.
    298 SPM

Compare that to my LA main: https://www.planetside2.com/players/#!/5428016813482629057/stats
    29 Days
    17% ACC
    63 SPM

Oh and BTW, I am 1st on matthersons leaderboard today:
    [IMG]

Have nice day.
  15. Hiding in VR

And that 3 hours as an engineer you got a large chunk of kills for very few deaths. Which makes up a large part of your total KDR.

But lets say all your kills and all your scores as LowLevelNoob came from the Heavy, thats still only 1.39 KDR. You really think its okay to Nerf the Heavy for that?
  16. Robertooooo

That is not an extraordinary score or that much kills for 5 hours of gaming so I don't see what you are trying to prove.
  17. Tonberry76

so far i play HA its always the enemy kill you first and its the truth
    belief it ore not even with other pll around me i get kill t first even if i move around

its mostly because we can kill tanks blow up aircraft out of the sky and so on
    i think the enemy don't like rocket launcher so much :p

also we are mostly the only class than can kill maxes
    C4 rocket launcher you name it we are Deadly in a way but also weak in a other way because we are mostly main food for the enemy

if you walk with a rocket launcher and enemy have allot of tanks trust me they see you fast and always kill you
    they no HA try to blow up the tanks

that's so far i have seen when i play my HA its a fun class rely but also very hard to play :)
    you always need to watch your back :)

sorry for my bad English
  18. Decian

Honestly, it's because everyone in the game thinks they should be able to kill anything at any time with any load out. They don't understand game mechanics or just aren't super good. Usually it's a mixture of these combine with the fact that SOEs servers are ****** and when your connection to the server is through a bad port you can't kill anything. Honestly SOE's "I win shield" comment is unprofessional and the ****** who wrote it should be fired. But SOE seems to just let people who fail at their jobs skate by.
    • Up x 3
  19. Posse

That 32% accuracy is clearly padded

If you compare LPK (shots landed per kill) and SPK (shots per kill) with the Orion

http://stats.dasanfall.com/ps2/player/LowLevelNoob
    http://stats.dasanfall.com/ps2/player/Posseeee

LPK should hover around 9 for the Orion if you don't pad your accuracy (could be higher or lower depending on your HSR, but in this case they're fairly similar), yet you have 15 LPK, that means you're landing a ton of bullets into easy to hit targets that don't get you kills (flashes, MAXes, terminals)

Now, SPK should be lower the higher your accuracy is (if you're not padding it), yet mine is much lower despite having a lower accuracy than yours.

So yeah, that 32% accuracy is BS. Not to mention that someone with an unpadded 32% acc and 21% HSR should have at least a KDR of 3

Besides, that you're doing better with your HA doesn't prove anything, HA is the class that relies the less on positioning to at least not suck, so up to a certain skill level, everyone will perform better with HA than with any other class.

Following your logic and comparing my Orion stats with my VX6-7 stats I should conclude that LA is overpowered, both my KDR and KPH are better with the VX6-7 in both of my VS alts.
  20. LibertyRevolution

I don't care about what your DA stats sights considers a sanctioned hit.
    Yes I blast maxes, flashes, harassers, ESF with my LMG..
    Accusing me of stats padding.. get a life bro.

I don't give a crap about my K/D. I play aggressively, I may die 5 times in a row, then murder 7 guys they next spawn...
    I see you like your high K/D that is great for you, must be oh so fun worrying about trying not to die all the time...