Why do people like the SVA-88?

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by Kodaa, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Kodaa

It sounds cool, and the 75 round magazine is nice. Otherwise it's just an Orion with a lower RoF, and yet I see so many people swear by it. Why spend $7 or 500 certs on something so marginally different from the spectacular default LMG?
  2. Van Dax

versatility
    • Up x 3
  3. Kodaa

52 less RPM makes it more versatile...?

Something more than a 1 word answer would be nice :rolleyes:
  4. Van Dax

yes.

less rpm means more controllable and slower cof bloom, more controllable and slower cof bloom means more range, more range plus more ammo with a slight dps loss means versatile. If you don't like the sva, you don't like our faction traits.
    • Up x 4
  5. Delnar_Ersike

It's mainly the recoil. The SVA-88 has a much lower first shot recoil multiplier than the Orion's. Additionally, it can equip a compensator, has more options for sights, and can equip high velocity ammo. Coupled with its faster muzzle velocity, it can be effective in short, medium, and long range setups, which is why it's also so versatile.
    • Up x 2
  6. Kodaa

Fun how someone can take a simple, honest question and answer it with such hostility.

Thing is, nothing about the SVA-88 represents VS "faction traits." If I'm understanding your post correctly, you're suggesting "versatility" is a VS faction trait as if the other factions don't have versatile weapons. :rolleyes:

Ah, a reasonable answer. Much appreciated. I hadn't accounted for those things.
    • Up x 1
  7. ColdCheezePizza

HVA ammo and more damage and accuracy at range, the orion is a cqc lmg, SVA-88 does almost as good cqc because of the .75 ads and owns it silly at mid to long, it's probably the best and most versatile lmg in the game imo
  8. Kodaa

I'd say the pair of them make up the best LMGs in the game depending on your preference.
  9. MaCritz

For pure versatility, I'd prefer the Pulsar LSW. Not that SVA-88 is a bad gun, it's just individual preference.. People trial it, they love it, they buy it.. Simple as that.. Stats don't translate into battle effectiveness.. You just have to love a gun to use it with success.. And no one can tell you to do otherwise..
  10. Ripshaft

The only stats they list are the ones easily quantified (well, plus a few that aren't), the weapons are much more complex than this, there's many more variables at play in the weapon, and that all equates to exponentially more in combat. You'll have to try it in combat for some time before you start getting a handle on what to value about it or not. The amount of time it takes depends on your ability and play style, but generally once you start to like the weapon, do another 500 kills.

Unfortunately this involves actually buying the weapon, which means you need to buy it yourself or find someone who's not a blubbering fool on the interweb to explain their experience with it... so... good luck!

(also 500 certs is squat, just buy it if you're at all interested =p)
  11. Kodaa

Just so I don't have to keep dealing with replies like this:

MY QUESTION WAS ANSWERED.

THANKS

Now, Ripshaft, I'm not sure if that hint of a condescending tone was intended, but it was definitely unnecessary. Asking a question doesn't mean I'm a complete noob that thinks 500 certs is some unholy fortune, and I know nothing about the complexities of the weapons of this game. I know perfectly well that there are far more stats that change between weapons than what we're told. Developers have long believed their gamers to be knuckle-dragging idiots, and we've never gotten the full story. That's why I asked. I wanted to know if the unseen stats made the weapon worth the upgrade from the Orion.
  12. Quasi Valiant

It's a very high skill-cap weapon as well. I am still getting better with it.. and I can't imagine using any other gun than the SVA-88 aside from really specific scenarios.
  13. Posse

Because the SVA has a lower first shot recoil, and you can put both a compensator and a foregrip, at mid range it's really easy to fire fullauto with high accuracy. After 6 months of only using the Orion, some weeks ago I decided to try for myself see what was so good about the SVA-88, my first reaction was "OMFG this is so easy to control"

Orion = Excellent at close range, good at mid range, bad at long range
    SVA-88 = Good at close range, excellent at mid range, decent at long range.

All that said, as opposed to pretty much every other VS HA, I use the SVA-88 for specific situations and the Orion for general purpose :p
  14. Kodaa

I've been slowly watching your kill count go up :p
  15. Thardus

I use mine as a poor man's Sniper Rifle.
  16. raw

good for burst control and accurate mediumlongish shots the SVA-88 is. my favourite LMG. currently auraxing the Pulsar LSW which is pretty similiar but notably inaccurate at longer distances.
  17. HerpTheDerp

It should be noted that the loss of 52RPM only brings SVA to standard DPS levels, because Orion has above-average DPS in the first place.
  18. pnkdth

RPM isn't everything. Weapons around 652-698RPM makes a tangible difference when ADSing. I think it is useful to talk about effective DPS than just DPS because it is meaningless if your bullets do not hit. It is true the SVA-88 does have quite the kick for a 143DMG weapon but recoil and RPM is what defines a weapon in terms of accuracy. This might be obvious to some but I think it is important to mention.

Attachments also makes this weapon versitile. You can fit it for mid-longish range but it is also viable for hipfire with a standard laser sight(but you need a bit of burst controll her as well). But yeah, have a tactically flexible weapon is a very good thing, and my favourite setup is just fitting it with a laser + reflex, as this plays very well with the ADS multiplier. Naturally I am sacrificing long medium range but overall it just fits my style better.

That said, I still prefer weapons such as the Rhino(rhino) and Polaris(VS) for the reasons stated in my first paragraph. After I'm done with auraxium for my Flare and SVA I do not think I'll ever touch them again. Same with carbines, with TR I almost exclusively use the T5 AMC, extremely accurate with good default bullet velocity(the highest of all carbines at 570 AND have access to HVA).
  19. LowTechKiller

As a heavy, I prefer to engage the enemy at range, before he can stick his shotgun, carbine, or SMG in my ear.
    The SVA-88 with compensator and forward grip give me great accuracy at range, where I have the edge. It also does well enough up close in a pinch.
    That being said, I've never really used the Orion. I bought the SVA-88 awhile back, before the Orion became a beast. If I were starting now, I don't know that it would be worth the extra funds/certs, since the Orion is so good.
  20. Trysaeder

It's the only "premium" 143/700 weapon in the game, which is a very average RPM that makes it suitable for many situations. The other three are cheap guns that do not have many attachments or traits. It also has a 0.75x ADS multiplier, which works well to dodge the bullets of someone that can't aim. On top of it all, it has a lowish first shot recoil of 1.5x, allowing for fairly straightforward learning and decent consistency.

The price for all this is that it has the highest recoil of any gun in the game, but many people accept the challenge because they feel that it's worth it.