Why do maxes "ruin fights"?

Discussion in 'MAX' started by xboxerdude, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Kriegson

And TR and VS maxes kill in about .40 seconds, at distances the NC max can't even kill you at. So what?
    • Up x 2
  2. MKEYCKOR

I solo terrible max players on the regular and even then they are frightening to face. Being able to field an infantry unit in this game with a huge health pool, insta gib (NC) infantry weapons at any time is too strong. You can argue that they do cost resources but anyone good enough is going to survive and kill in the current max long enough to be able to pull another one right after. You are a great example of this xboxer. Certain bases and terrain in this game offer almost no counter play to the max suit and pretty much anyone with half a brain can kill 15-20 people with minimal to no effort during one max life.

I think max survivability is in a decent place right now, it's just that the killing power is over the top. If you can't pull a max and have a significant impact on a small fight or a small area of a larger fight, you might just be bad. Keep in mind everything I've written above is assuming ONE max comes stomping in. In reality, it's usually about 3-5 and the time and resources needed to deal with the problem is enough to get overrun.

Oh and they can be revived. LOL.
    • Up x 1
  3. Epic High Five

I know when I switch to my beloved slugMAX from my even more beloved Reaper DMR, I don't feel like I've been upgraded at all.

I'm better up close and tougher, but wayyyy less lethal overall. Good alpha but terrible staying power, iffy at best at range.

I actually do better kill-wise with my TR MAX w/ Mercies. Just walk around holding LMB+RMB and hovering your cursor over heads. None of that running in, burning down high value targets, then charging out like with the NC MAX
    • Up x 1
  4. EvilKoala

As others have stated already, a MAX crash can break a stalemate.. so people can see that as ruining a good fight. However, I think the MAX units add more to gameplay than they subtract. I think they fill a fairly well defined roll at the moment. They supplement infantry well, while being of limited use on their own.
  5. N4poleon

They are farming machines, way too potent at AI and spammable (look, you have 30% Max time, more than any other classes, the ressource mechanics do not work at all).

They should be tankier and do far less damage at the same time. This would make them closer to being teambased. As someone who mostly does 12-24s and 24-48s, right now I often wish MAXes just didn't exist.
    • Up x 1
  6. GantryPengy380

LOL, at extremely close ranges, I can take out an NC MAX with 1 rocket, so I only hate VS MAXes. And NC MAXes have a possibility of being taken out by sneaking up behind them and shooting a rocket into them, idk if that'll work if they have their little shield up, though.
  7. RenegadeHelios

The only defense for a MAX crash is another MAX crash....?

Man, wish you could see the stuff some friends and I did back when UN1T was active.

Proxy mines + tank mines. Stop a flippin' zerg for pete's sake.

Seriously, two infiltrators and an two engies with tank mines can stop a MAX crash nearly instantaneously. Add a heavy or LA in there with the appropriate tools and the certs roll in.

MAXes are easy enough to combat anyway, although TR maxes seem to be the most overpowered with their range. I generally play shotgun on any faction, and I have no issues playing close quarters against NC MAXes. On my VS, I have 17 solo kills on mid-level NC MAXes on my Thanatos. You just gotta know how to maneuver. Terran or Vanu MAXes..... Those are a hella pain, TR more than VS.

I've played around with a TR MAX a bit before... Cycler + Onslaught for lack of wanting to invest more certs into it. It is insanely more effective in any combat situation than the NC MAX. One clips maxes unlike slug'd scats, good at range, good at suppression....

Getting totally off topic, but yea.

I think that people look at maxes as something that ruins fights because they're a stalemate breaker. It's an infantry Vanguard/Prowler/Maggie, if you will, with HA's being the lightnings. The bit of extra firepower to displace the movement restrictions for the cost of three and a half sticks of C4/multiple medkits/nades/etc is worth it, if used right, and is a huge waste of resources if done wrong.

Anybody that thinks MAXes ruin fights should just move on to a different fight. It's a part of the game which helps to break excessively long battles when used right, and are very nice, tasty certs when used wrong. If we didn't have the breakers, we'd see battles going on for the period of an entire day... Sometimes, infantry alone isn't enough. .-.

Meh.
    • Up x 1
  8. Epic High Five

I do this now! I call them "Flak F*ckers" and it's a fantastic investment whether you only kill a single infil (MAXIMUM OVERKILL) or 3 BR100 MAXes and an engies as they charge up to the point.

I used to think MAX crashes were annoying to deal with until I gained two things:

1) The patience to wait for the zerg to stop somewhere to rep up/cap a point
    2) AV grenades and a grenade bandoleer

Also an option, if you REALLY want to annoy them just keep spamming smoke at them.

I understand they can be easy to fight, but they've got huge weaknesses that they can't work around (anymore, at least, ZOEEEE :shakes fist:) that make them imminently easy to kill. I see MAX crashes fail quite a lot anymore, and honestly it comes down to pop. I know the general feeling here is "12 MAXes can overrun 3 squads and camp them" but unless the objective only takes a second to achieve, this is really not the case. They'll charge out, cut a swath through your forces, then have to stop somewhere and get shelled to death.
    • Up x 1
  9. GantryPengy380

EDIT: Why are we complaining about how MAXes are OP when most HA's should be able to take one out with a rocket?
  10. Dieter Perras

because people pull them in small battles rather then pulling them to push a front line as they were originally intended.
  11. Lurking_Horror

Why maxes ruin fights ? Well, that's easy.

Many players in this game can't handle losing very well.

So when they get killed, they generally start some variation of this:

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! He KILLED me! That can't be. I'm such a good player. I should have pwned him! He only pwned me because of this lame (insert fotm excuse)! I don't want to be pwned! MOOOMMMYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!* NERF !!!!!!!"
    *often also 'HIIIGBYYYYYYYYYY!!!'

"Max Suits" being a very popular fotm excuse here, when an organized platoon manages to use maxes effectively, the whining can get so excessivly annoying, that it indeed ruins the game for everyone else.

But seriously, there are some good players in this thread, and they write such drivel.

A couple of maxes in a smaller fight, I mean, what's up with that ? They are nothing but a tasty snack for any passing light assault. And in fact, that makes them MY snacks. So hands off my snacks! Final warning, it leaves my snacks alone, or it get's the shotgun. I'm not joking!
    • Up x 1
  12. Rift23

They don't. Go play a MAX and then you'll be crying about C4 instead.
    • Up x 1
  13. Sagabyte

Max is the heavy, engineer/medic is the medic:
    [IMG]
    As you can see, you can't kill the max in a fight, but with constant backup from engies, it makes it even more impossible to kill these monoliths of destruction. Medics can also revive them in seconds, destroying your hard-earned work at killing just one of the undying monsters. I suggest a longer time to revive maxes as a medic (say 7-10 seconds) and a debuff to repair speed for engineers. They can repair a max faster when the max goes out of a battle for x period of time.

Tl;Dr undying max destroys any form of co-operation that can be used against it.
  14. Haquim

I have heard this so often now - would someone care to post or link a vid of this happening? Because frankly - I think its a great piece of ******** the NC calculated to explain that their instagib-scatmax is not OP.
    Of course it might happen - on 20 metres on an unmoving target. But I highly doubt you can constantly do this in a fight. Scatmax has no problem to OHK everything thats not a MAX on his ideal range.
    TL;DR Bring me a vid of a killstreak with TR or VS with moving targets at 15 mtrs + distance where he mows through his kills at the pace you claim. I will even say sorry I ever doubted your wisdom.

Fun Fact: At close range TR and NC have the same damage output. NC only unloads his damage in a fifth of the time TR needs and then goes to cover to reload. (Which I think is an ADVANTAGE - unload your load and seek cover instead of standing in the open shooting and getting shot)
  15. Kriegson

They can still kill at 15+ meters, scatmax cannot.
    They kill at about .40 seconds in the range that scatmax kills instantly, though they have about 8 kills between their mags and can miss a few shots. Scat has 6 kills between two default cannons and cannot miss, and has a 3+ second reload.

But just to humor you

I would take dual cyclers or some NS variant any day over the scats. Really I would.
  16. Konfuzfanten

Funny thing, there are multiple times in that video where Moukass is within 5-10 meters of enemy infantry (instant gib from NC MAX's) and you know what? They dont die within 0.4 sec, check:
    - 1:15
    - 1:23
    - 1:32
    and i can go on and on in that video.

Fact of the matter is:
    a) the "0.4 sec kill" thing, is very very rare for TR/VS MAX's, while NC MAX's instant gib enemy infantry if they are within 5-10 meters.
    b) NC MAX's are lacking at +15 meters

Do NC MAX pay too much for the ability to instant kill enemy infantry? Nope, i dont think so. But thats not the point of this thread.

If you want to whine about the NC MAX, being OP or UP, go here: https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/nc-max-needs-a-serious-buff.169165/
  17. Haquim

Ok sorry, I have to admit that there were some parts that you couldn't do with a NC MAX. The part around the third minute the enemies had too much cover for a Scatmax to really hurt them at this distance. At 4:30 or something the NC MAX would have severely outperformanced the TR MAX at killing enemies, but would have had to reload a lot of kills sooner.
    The problem is that Scatmaxes actually waste ammo when killing a single target, so although the DPS is almost the same, the TR can put a lot more people down before reloading. I would prefer the former, dead people don't put c4 or use rockets.
    Now one problem I have with that specific vid: He was almost unopposed! Of those 39 guys he killed and the countless assissts, only three shot a rocket at him - the last one even hit. With that much resistance I'll go on a killing spree with fractures :cool:. Unfortunately every NC and VS HA I meet in a domefight confuses his launcher for his primary and shoots me in the face - no matter what class I am :mad: . Nobody even tried to c4 him, and at one time he stood in a room with 4 live medics,heavys and engineers. All of which could.
    NO matter the spree, it shows pretty well that a TR MAX definitely fares better with masses of enemies though. I would still prefer the riddiculous CQC alpha. Its a shame we can't trade weapons, because I would go for it.

Fun fact: I don't know if its an oddity of Cobalt, but I quite often get OHKd by NC Maxes at 20 mtrs and more. Dual ... Falcons I think. They don't really aim, but when pounding on a bottleneck in a biolab they don't really have to :(. And yes I know thats a single shot mag. Doesn't make it any less infuriating because, you know, he doesn't NEED a second shot. And I think thats the only range instagib on a MAX.... hmmm can we swap the whole MAX loadouts instead of a few weapons...?

PS: And I don't think there were many of those 39 guys who went down in 0.4 seconds, although most did die pretty fast. Pretty fast != instantly.
  18. stalkish

scat max TTK time = 0s
    VS/TR AI Max TTK = 0.4s
    not sure theres much of a diff, and the scat max can kill 5 enemies absolute maximum (with extended mags which cost 1000 certs) before reloading, how many can a tr kill?
    Faction bias works both ways.
  19. Haquim

There really is a thread to buff them??

My only problem is that MAXes are only REALLY important in CQC. Most noticeable in domefights. And since NC has that CQC advantage, I fail to see the disadvantage of it....

OH and back to the topic: Theres two ways for MAXes to ruin a fight for me: Dome Domination alerts (I don't have to explain, do I?)
    and going round a corner and seeing something blue and bulky. My last thoughts are usually very similar to those of a bowl of petunias: "Oh no, not again...."
    • Up x 1
  20. Halkesh

I never understand... NC MAXes complain about their scattercannon but when you propose to delete these shotgun by normal LMG (as other faction have), they doesn't want.
    It's a proof NC MAXes are unbalanced.

Imagine you have to cut a pizza in 2 part. Your friend complain he get the smallest part, then you propose to switch your part but he refuse. Why ? Because he get the bigger part and want more.
    That's same about MAXes.