Why do MAX Suits have bad Defense?

Discussion in 'MAX' started by Gunivar, Jun 26, 2013.

1. KnightCole

2 guys taking 10 seconds to kill you? that is pretty good. considering normal troops die in like 2. And yea, a direct hit tank round should take them out quickly.

MAX suits are just heavy armor infantry, not battle tanks. Itsnot like the armor is special mk9 version chobaum armor. its just heavier HA armor, with maybe some added plates and what not.
  2. Xhaleon

Hey guys, I've got an even better idea.

MAXes right out of the box should take only a quarter damage from C4, be damageable from small arms only when shot at close range through the eye slits, rockets only do damage if shot from behind, and anyone attacking a MAX with their knife takes return damage from a sprained wrist. In return, they should cost 375 resources, any more would be too painful, how would we pull another MAX if we die!?!?
  3. basilbroketail

As much as I don't like Roarboar's rooting for the VS at times, I'll agree with him on that. Just looking at your most recent playtime, 1-2 kills per death ( if even that ) with a Max unit, the play style needs improvement .

If this is anything to go by :

http://www.planetside-universe.com/character-5428016813482629057.php?tab=killboard

Explosives are the primary deaths for most experienced max users . Its almost impossible to run with 100% awareness in this game unless you've got a radar flash that doesn't glitch out at times .( Even then that radar sometimes bugs out ) OR your fighting small engagements ( squad v squad ) . Or spawn camping newbies.
  4. Stormlight666

Well I was just throwing a number out at 10 seconds. Two guys with SMG's can chew a MAX from full in about 5 seconds flat. SMG's should do a LOT less damage to a MAX than a bigger calibre gun, instead it's the opposite.

Especially since PS2 MAXes are pale comparison to PS1 MAXes. No autorun. No zoom view. No immunity to small arms. At 350 RESOURCES they should have ALL that and more.
    • Up x 2
  5. Dragoneye

The skill involved in playing a MAX unit is in understanding economy of movement. As many people here have pointed out, you shouldn't be thinking of yourself as the guy to "take" shots.

Dodging as a MAX is exactly as important as dodging as an infantry is- it's just harder because you move slower. Instead you have to learn how to move "just enough" to keep shots going right by your head/shoulders, and make clever use of terrain and cover.
  6. Anghammarad

I believe the people who post in this sub-forum mostly know how to play a MAX, and achieve a higher K/D ratio than the avg. (which is what, around 3+ ?). Of course, I may be wrong.

Speaking for myself, the problem isn't so much survivability as it is the inability to actually spear-head an attack effectively.
    I want to feel like a moving wall when I'm in a MAX suit, protecting the guys behind me and allowing them to enter the contested area. Can't do that when one C4 can kill you, or a couple of potshots with a rocket launcher send you running for an engie.

I'd trade damage output anytime for that type of gameplay. Perhaps a whole extra mode for MAX players is needed, with half the dmg output and double the HP.
    • Up x 1
  7. Shiaari

I think MAXes are well balanced for the most part. NC MAXes still need a medium range solution (sorry slugs ain't good enough, and that's coming from a full-time Vanu player), but each still has their unique battle roles.

The cost needs to come down. There is no way to balance MAXes in such a way that they justify 350 without breaking the game. Just revert cost back to 100 and call it done.

This is the best thing I've seen so far. With that, MAXes might be justified to cost 200, but still not 350.
    • Up x 1
  8. Chrisragnar

Smg's and pistols rounds should just bounce of max's. That would solve alot to begin with. SMG's melt MAX's
    • Up x 1
  9. Chrisragnar

Dude, 9mm rounds are ****, they bounce of if you have a wooden plank under your shirt basiclly :p
  10. KnightCole

Well, I wouldnt disagree if this was another game. But its PS2, so maybe increase the resistance of MAX vs SMGs to like 95% so it does pretty much nothing lol. But MAX are not that weak already. Sure, they are not God mode total beasts, but compared to your standard infantry in this game, yeah, they are tanks. 2000HP with 80% resistance to small arms.....they take atleast 100 rounds to kill with just body shots, headshots can cut that down to about 70-80 rounds.

I dont feel as MAX are overly weak. Nor really overly tough. They are kinda just tough enough to be called a MAX.
  11. Shellana

I think you should do 3 things to MAXs
    1. Remove Headshots.
    2. Make hollow points and non-slug shotguns do less damage to MAXs(Side note, jackhammer would need a slug option).
    3. Make High Velocity do more damage to MAXs.

This would also nerf SMGs against MAXs because almost everyone uses HP in their SMGs
    • Up x 2
  12. KnightCole

I could get behind this.
  13. Mxiter

If max get an health increase, its weapons should get toned down to gives other infantry a chance to deal it damages.

It's expensive, yes but already a beefed up HA with twice HP pool, 80% bullet resistances, 50% rockets and AV resistance, 50% explosives resistances without suit slot, no menthion that it have the best infantry firepower.

Is cost more than lightning? yes, but it's also much more easy to kill infantry with 2 AI weapons.
    Do you often see a lightnings killing stuffs in buildings? shooting aircrafts from roofs ect? no.
    Put a max in lightning aera (outdoors figths) and it will dies pretty quickly to tanks and aircrafts, like a lightning at less than 50m to HA/Engie AV nest.

Maxes can be rezzed very fast and be repaired easily (if you play in squad) contrarely to fast moving vehicles that roadkill 20% of them engeneers.

Definitly, it worth those 350 ressources. This price also save us to see only Maxes battles and not mixed infantry battles.

If you meet 2 ennemies HA (or more) at a corner, i'm sure you have much more chances to survive and kill them with max than every other infantry class.

Same for vehicles: 3-4 HA can kill a tank quite easily, but you still have more chance to survives in a tank than as standard infantry.

You spend ressources for more survivability and firepower, not god mode that kills every threat without effort.
  14. Shellana

Something to think about when comparing the MAX cost to vehicles costs. MAX uses infantry resources, which at least for me are harder to come by.
  15. PastalavistaBB

Resistance to Small Arms Fire on a stock Max should be %90 instead of the current %80. With Kinetic Armor 5 you wold get %98.5 Small Arms Resistance which basically is negligible. And well, C4 shouldn't be a "Kills everything" weapon. It should kill Infantry, but not Maxes and Tanks/Sunderers instantly.
  16. Vorpal

I don't think MAX are weak compared to infantry (though I find it odd even a single brick of C4 kills you without full flack armor - not real balanced from a resource/timer perspective) but I think TTK in this game is too low across the board, for anything that's not a vehicle.

I do think an argument can be made that MAX die too quickly for their resource cost, however. Particularly when infantry resources are so highly in demand.

Things that cost 300 + resources should not be keeling over in seconds from small arms fire. Vehicles aren't this way for a reason. MAX should be as well.
    • Up x 1
  17. PastalavistaBB

Actually vehicles are as weak as Maxes, maybe even more. One C4 Fairy can instagib a 50 ton MBT. What kind of logic/balance is this?
    • Up x 1
  18. Vorpal

C4 is not small arms fire. It takes quite a few certs to spend and takes infantry resources to deploy. It's hard to avoid getting C4'ed as a max, (as you are generally indoors) but it's usually quite easy to avoid being C4'ed as a vehicle.
    • Up x 1
  19. Chazt

This ^

I have to say this is the first thread I have seen someone complain about maxes being too squishy. With the proper certifications you can be nearly immune to small arms, OR have partial resistance to both small arms and explosions. Maxes already operate as a bigger and badder form of infantry to the point where it brings the defensive benefits of a vehicle into a cqc zone while still having great offense. Plus they are revivable. The only person I would think capable of such a thought as "max need more defense" is a guy who spends 90% of his time inside a tank and doesn't like the idea of the pathetic ants shooting paintballs actually being able to hurt him.
    • Up x 1