Why do engineers get AP mines?

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by Taiga, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Ronin Oni

heh, I was showing the game to a friend over the weekend, and I died 5 times in a row to seemingly random placed AP mines. (not near high traffic doors or objectives) and of course the VR bug unequiped all my flak armor so they were killing me (and for some reason didn't notice it was missing >.< )

So I started spamming them myself.... hahahaha we had some good laughs :p

anyways, AP mines are fine
  2. Kallowe

What I find irritating about mines is the fact that they're not common enough. If people had more mines and used mines more often I would be likely to take it a bit slower and not tread on them knowing that there might be a mine around the corner. In their current state they feel like stupid CoD4 mines that you put down for some free kills.
  3. ChaosReaperr

OP: You have anime in your sig... enough said, ignored.
  4. SkepticJerry

As far as I've seen, any fool who gets killed by AP mines is a bumbling rusher who has a complete lack of situational awareness. I mean it's not like the AP mine attacks you, it's just sitting there. YOU ran into it.
  5. HeadshotVictim

You are WRONG!
    AP mines now run aorund and CHASE players without flak armor!
    They develop little legs and start to skit around biting peoples ankles dealing 100dmg before blowing up, just to mock them!

REMOVE AP MINES FOR BEING OP!

to OP:
    Why are AP not suited for Engis because they are lame, but AV Mines are fine?
    An AP Mine might(!) kill ONE. If it is not shot down or the lucky finder is not wearing flak armor.

A set of 2 AV Mines can take out a 12/12 Extreme Menace Sunderer giving not only 350 Exp (killing a single Extreme Menace), but 12x350 + 500 + group kill + explosive kill + kill streak. The guy get filthy rich after just 2 Mines!

I dont get your problem... Play HA and activate shields before passing a funnel. (You don't even need flak armor then... holy moly, what a thought!)
    Or just go in slowly watching out for mines with IR/NV scope
  6. Mogsy

got these unlocked a few weeks back and recently decided to spend the certs to double up.

had a base incident yesterday when the usual zerg rush bugger off and leave all the engies exposed while we repair the turrets and generators -- placed an AP at either entrance to one of the geny rooms, and as the lovely lady says 'Generator Repaired', i leave -- that was the Q for 2 TR eejits to try and show how good their explosive-proof their cloaks were!!!

remember lads/ladies, when the lady says 'Generator Repaired', it likely means I've repaired it and given it my 10min war-zone operating guarantee (if enemy is close by) -- so expect loud noise, pain, points for me and a trip to your choice of re-spawn spot!!

always assume AP's are everywhere......if your a medic, let your teamates go first, you can always revive them.
  7. Frosty The Pyro

how to handle AP mines.

1. Pay attention
    2. see mine
    3. do not step on mine.
    4. look at mine and shoot mine.
    5. ?????
    6. collect 5xp
  8. vilehydra

I just feel that mines shouldn't be completely passive, to me it just feels like a bad mechanic.
    I'd much rather have something along the lines of this

AP mines-
    Spawn in fields
    First mine hit eliminates shielding and disables special ability for (insert number here) seconds
    Second mine hit (assuming shield is down) cripples player movement by 50% for a duration and brings them down to half health
    Third mine kills (non-max units)
    Cannot be frisbeed
    Are deployed via a mine tube which evenly places the mines in the surrounding area and has a deploy time of about 1 second, if shot before the mines are deployed all are destroyed.
    Costs less resources
    Mines are less visible.

I just feel that this would add some more depth to defensive gameplay as it would slow down any infantry assaults as opposed to the 'lay 2, kill 2, repeat system' which is pretty bland. Giving the defenders a heavy advantage that would for the first minutes of a base assault as opposed to the first 30 seconds, but it would also require a defense actually be there to mop up the wounded infantry. This system could also possibly be reworked for AT mines.

Also a debuff xp bonus per kill while under the effects of mines.
  9. Sam the sheepdog

1. Engineers get carbines. These weapons are terrible compared to heavies/medics. Under barrel grenade launcher is situational at best, suffers from poor accuracy, an underwhelming blast radius, and limited ammo. Also, the weapon itself is garbage. Take the stock engineer rifle, ruin it's cone of fire, and you have the S model weapon. (At least that's the solstice SF. Can't win gun battles with that thing unless you ambush someone or they're bad.)

2. Engineers are engineers. Really? The guys who build and repair stuff shouldn't get bombs? What other game are engineers not allowed to have any kill power. They rig explosives, lay traps, build stuff, and fix things. Engineers are basically free kills to any other class they fight in the field. Boo hoo, low skill mine kills? They put blinky lights on the damn things. I think you're the one that's low skill if you run across poorly placed mines all the time. I have thought long and hard about where to place my mines, and still only get kills about 1 in 3. Almost as much of a waste of resources as tank mines.

3. What else should they do? Engineers have a remarkably low kill power in most instances. Poor rifles make them infantry snacks, the Mana turret is stationary, suffers god awful accuracy, and is basically a rocket magnet that gets them killed or sniped. We have the AV turret, which is just ridiculous in an open space at long-medium range, but is once again stationary, and begging for a head shot. My mag gunner picks them off all the damn time because they can't move. Free kills. Anti-air capabilities? None. Zip. Zero. Zilch. We can repair tanks and stuff. Neat. Another opportunity for other infantry to smash the crap out of us.

You're begruding engineers the ability to lay a trap?

You my friend, suck. Good day.
    • Up x 1
  10. Xasapis

Well, to be fair, engineers do have access to both shotguns and SMGs, so their close combat killing potentials is good. Their main issue is that they are the most fragile class besides the infiltrator, but with lacking any means of escape or damage mitigation the other classes have.

Personally I'm surprised that the explosives armor upgrade doesn't give 5 AV mines and 4 C4 and 3 AP mines (at max level), instead of one of each.
  11. Weirdkitten

Or, you know, you could get some eye sight skill of your own to counter it. Not the engineer's fault you're oblivious and run into mines all the time :p
  12. Rhumald

Explosives are in the engineer's class description, end of story.
  13. Taiga

seeing as i have left this thread alone for a while, i would like to quell the people who think i am ret*red. at the time of this post, yes, i was having a bit of an off day, and a bit of anger went into the post itself. while is still do think that AP mines do too much damage, i do not see them as game breaking or incredibly unfair(especially since they added lights to them). my opinion of the mines has changed a bit and i would just like to say that i was wrong with my original post.
  14. Phrygen

no. Engis make excellent use of them, especially when setting up their turrets.