Why do engineers get AP mines?

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by Taiga, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Darlith

See this is exactly why I leave my mines laying around. I like knowing somewhere someone is raging because they walked over it without flak armor on. Well or it could be because ghost capping is so popular that if I leave them in bases behind my squad I'll catch some guy trying to ghost it instead of having to run back and resecure it right away.

Thing is I can see bouncing betties and proximity mines easy enough when they don't sink into the floor unless I'm rushing around. Same normally for claymores (sometimes if they are placed in doorways in certain ways I won't) so even without flak armor I won't get killed by them unless I'm being careless.

If they are being thrown around without tactical advantage they don't usually kill people, if they are placed tactically then it's no longer really a no skill weapon, it's one you have learned to use well, one you took time to learn how and where enemies most often move so you can slow down enemies using those routes. If the enemy wears flak armor single mines won't kill them which means I have to place both mine together to get that kill, all those resources to kill a single player isn't really lucrative it's there to limit the angles of attack possible to the enemy then.
    • Up x 2
  2. Chiggerbite

Mines have been an engineer's tool in every game I've played that had an engineer-like class. Engineers are well known for using gadgets and explosives as their primary tools of destruction. Infiltrators and Light Assault? Not so much.

I have to say... this is the farthest stretch for an engineer change as I've seen thus far.
    • Up x 1
  3. smoke eater

AP mines are used to kill people not paying attention. That is why we get them.
  4. Brainpan

I would've thought that after the last six months of this game going live that people would've realised by now that it's standard operational procedure for engineers to mine the crap out of a place before the squad/platoon moves on to discourage enemies who swoop in afterwards. They're called booby traps for a reason.

A lot of my AP mines in doorways seem to get spotted and destroyed. Not so much when I place them behind a console, in a corner, on top of stair landings, or other locations where a rushing soldier turns and steps on it.

I fell prey to an infiltrator's claymore at the Crown while VS was defending. The clever guy slapped it in one of those alcoves around the corners so I didn't see it in time. I was wearing flak armor, but was already wounded from exchanging gunfire with him.

Engineers have access to all the explosives because, as a defense oriented class, we need to plant explosives to make the enemy think twice about that "easy" route... and then think again about the "sneakier" route when they discover an engineer has mined that direction too.

AP mines even saved me a lot of times when I use turrets. Toss a few mines on the way so the infiltrator trying to hack me out or the LA c4ing the "inattentive" turret operator get a nasty surprise. Even killed an enemy infiltrator on accident by getting out of an AA turret to repair a MAX, hit his bouncing betty, injuring me and killing him.

Summary, you can have my AP mines when you can pry them from my cold dead hands-
  5. johnway

I suppose historically engineers came in 2 types - those who were logistics and those who were tailored for war like sappers. Guess they're the only ones who've learned to arm those large sandwich shaped explosives.

Would be damn handy to give the abilty to other classes. I would probably use claymores and AT mines a hell of a lot more if the options were available for the medic...
  6. Vreivai

This is exactly the reason I got AP mines. Well, more ghost generator overloading. I go and repair the generators, then throw down some mines by the generators. Guy comes back to overload the generator again, boom.
  7. SgtScum

Which seems to happen to the op a lot. Might be a case of pebkac.
    • Up x 1
  8. silverme

Why do people come onto the engineer section to complain about engineers?
    do they really think that any one will agree with them?
  9. GunsmithJoe

Lol. If I want to show off gun skill then Engineer would not my first choice of class...
    • Up x 2
  10. Procellus

I know "lolrealism" but Combat Engineers in the military are also Sappers. Sappers build defensive structures like bunkers and are the ones that lay mine fields. So its only natural that they have AP mines
    • Up x 1
  11. Fumblewatt

AP mines is a strategic tool to build up a defense, they are used to cover a flank that you and your crabman cannot cover, they will help you from LA pump/Infil SMG surprises, they soften up HA's rushing in(so it actually becomes a fair gun fight), they also soften up an enemy max. AP mines can guard generators(just so their ninja sunderer wont push through), while you provide ammo/repairs/gunplay elsewhere. Best of luck to you and try to watch out for the mines
  12. ColdCheezePizza

I hate mines as much as the next guy and think they need rebalancing like they did with AT mines because they often clip out of view under the scenery, but having said that Engis deserve them because repairing puts them in a defenseless position just like hacking does for infils. But the cheap kills does rub alot of people off the wrong way, I wouldn't mind if they automatically despawn soon as you leave the hex you laid them in.
  13. Zcuron

I'm using the equally skill-less flak armour to soak up whatever explosive damage I cannot avoid or do not notice~~
    • Up x 1
  14. Kroova

Hahaha, flak armor is an incredibly useful pick. Expect mines. Don't spring into rooms without checking. Nuf said.
  15. WaRadius

But If they let, for example, a MAX unit enter the building first, he may steal all their potential kills. Why would anyone let someone else go first?
    • Up x 1
  16. Kroova

"The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese."

and

"The easy way is always mined."
    • Up x 3
  17. Benjamin2501

I see my AP mines being countered by wiser players who shot them, or EMP grenades. Most of the time, in big battles they are useless because of the high amount of rocket/bullet spam. So, you basically end up killing yourself or the people around you if they are deployed.
  18. Ashnal

Sounds like you have more of a problem with AP mines themselves than the fact that engies have them. People would just switch to infil to put them down if you take them away from the engie. Besides, explosives have always been the primary domain of the Combat Engineer in just about any game.
  19. MyOdessa

OP is a clueless idiot, who can find way to avoid AP mines, even after they were nerfed in GU7 and now come with bright lights on them after GU8. ROFL. Maybe FPS is not your type of game OP.

Just to add, of all weapons in PS2, I die to mines least of all, and I do not even have flak armor.
  20. ih8Darian

• Up x 1