Why can only a certain number of sundies be deployed simultaneously?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by SinerAthin, May 6, 2014.

1. SinerAthin

What's the logic behind it?

If there's 4 sundies in an area, and someone blows up the deployed sundy, the other ones will just take it's place.

Does it really matter if all 4 sundies were deployed simultaneously?

After all, if 40 people are attacking a point, there'll still only be 40 people respawning even if there were 10 deployed sundies.
    • Up x 2
  2. Line

This question is going to crash all the servers.
    • Up x 2
  3. z1967

Its to prevent the spam of deployed sundies to ensure some downtime between when a deployed one is destroyed. Otherwise the opposing force would already have a reserve sundy parked ~15m away from the one that was just destroyed. Oh, and Outfits and their shenanigans.
    • Up x 6
  4. kadney

^Pretty much that.

Right now, destroying a sunderer forces the attackers to a) spawn from another one that is further away -> give the defenders air to breathe and/or b) the attackers will have to pull a new sunderer from a nearby base , this will slow down the attack aswell.
    Else you could simply park 5 sunderers in one spot and deploy them, you had to destroy all 5 of them to stop the attack. And now imagine all deployed sunderers had Prox. Repair aswell.. :eek:
  5. patricio_z

Right now sunderers are to vulnerable, and with the spawn XP as low as it is, almost noboy pulls sunderers anymore, good fights are cut short because the available sunderers are gone in less than 5 minutes.
    • Up x 1
  6. Phazaar

Maybe you should bring a Sunderer and defend it?

/Facepalm.
    • Up x 3
  7. JibbaJabba

Might I suggest everyone post ideas to the Sundy overhaul thread in the roadmap section?

Certing to reduce the no-deploy radius would be nice.
    Certing to put a sundy into "auto deploy when clear" would be insane and game breaking so forget I said it.
    • Up x 1
  8. Ronin Oni

Not to mention flanking.

You have no idea how many times I wish I could set up another sundy a mere 100ft from one set up to use another entrance into a base.

It makes AMS positioning vital.... and as z1967 noted, it creates at least a minimal downtime when the AMS is destroyed before someone deploys one of the reserves.
    • Up x 2
  9. Ronin Oni

I defend my own AMS sundy all the time.

I'llg et some suicide bomb attempt at least once every couple minutes, constant repair XP from endless rocket attempts, and even ammo XP because I drop an ammo box near the sundy because there's always HA's running back to it to resupply or others standing near it fighting who need constant ammo.

Spawn XP should be buffed to like 10 per though... it's 20 base for squad spawns (Beacon/Gal/moving Sundy) and following the formula for faction/squad XP on heals/repairs/ammo then the base XP for spawns should be 10.

2 per is just silly. I get more XP supporting the AMS than I do from actually owning the AMS
    • Up x 1
  10. patricio_z

Assuming I don't? well... I do, a lot, and its a waste of resources and time, they are almost always gone in less than 5 minutes, engi mining, armor, C4, ESFs,libs, RL heavies, everyone is out to get them....hence they tend to melt quickly, even when defended.
  11. Icedude94

As someone who always talks about outfits and teamwork able to overcome or take advantage of any balancing changes, z1967's point of "outfit shenanigans" is good enough.

Parking repair sundies around the AMS sundy, plus throwing down the infiltrator motion scanner, has already stumped many lonewolf players.

If people could deploy multiple AMS sundies, I bet engineers couldn't run between them fast enough to prevent me from cert farming in my vanguard.
  12. Jeslis

His point is.. there is no reason for him to. It makes no certs, better to save it for a tank.
  13. Regpuppy

Downtime as well as encouraging sunderers to spread out from each other. Plus less concurrently deployed sunderers overall. There use to be a LOT of cramming 5+ sundies into one place that made it nearly impossible to cut off the flow of infantry.

I actually remember some bugs that would pop up when you had so many sundies deployed in a small area as well. (they just stopped working, period)
  14. Eaderout

The issue I have with redeploying is the lack of places to redeploy to. I don't understand why I can deploy to any base I want to (there are different resources at each base). This also goes with sundies. Even if they are deployed they are not always deployable too. I just think its crap. As for the deployment radius I can live with that (is there a reason for it is my question) what I don't like is that I cant always deploy to a place I need to get to or want to get to.
  15. LibertyRevolution

There is a reason it is uselessly low.
    When the XP per spawn was higher, people would TK sunderers to deploy theirs..
  16. maudibe

The radius of no deploy is too great. It should be like 75 feet. Often an intial Sundy will stay aways away from the entrance to avoid being killed and once the advantage is gained and there isn't as much of a threat they could move up as others have. The ones closer cant deploy and there usually isn't anyone in the first one at that point. What difference is there? IT takes more time to go the farther distance form the outside Sundy costing time and fighting ability. I've never gotten the point of restricting Sundys. If thats o.k. then would be o.k. to limit the placement of Tanks so they couldn't deploy next to each other. How about limiting the number of planes allowed into a base zone? I cant even imagine the complaining if they did that. So often the pulling of a Sundy is pointless as you get to the battle and there are too many already, but....often there aren't but one and when it dies your offensive dies. I think that this is in part related to the deploy zone B.S..
  17. Ronin Oni

Yeah.... I know it is... :(

This is why we can't have nice things :rolleyes:
    • Up x 2
  18. Ronin Oni

Solution: Make deployed AMS immune to friendly fire.

Increase XP.

Course, then some dingo will intentionally deploy in a terrible spot that blocks as many good spots as possible just cause people like to grief in any imaginable way possible.... but surely it'd be a better situation than people not pulling AMS because it's not worth the investment.

I seriously saw 2 Sundies yesterday, certed out with some slots and weapons, WITH NO AMS...

"Dude, why don't you have AMS??"

"I never bought it... too expensive, not worth it."

o_O

I'm sorry... WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!
    [IMG]
  19. bPostal

Speaking generally -
    Pulling and deploying an AMS isn't about the driver and it isn't about XP, it's about the faction. A deployed AMS is a service that needs to be provided and it needs to be done in the best manner possible. The reward for providing this service can be debated (as it is a huge investment resource and time wise) but I'm not going to bother with that as I personally feel that providing the service is reward enough for me.

That's why care needs to be taken to ensure that:
    1: The AMS is deployed such that it maximizes cover from enemy armor/air (the newer 'parking garages' does fairly well but it needs to be covered with tank mines and the driver should pre-place AV mines and an AV turret in the most likely direction of enemy armor assaults).
    2:The AMS is deployed such that it maximizes cover from enemy infantry (If you park under a ledge that the enemy may use to drop c4 from above, put AI mines up and prepare to shoot suicide bombers.
    3: The AMS is deployed such that it maximizes cover for friendly infantry to push on the objective without exposing themselves to enemy fire. (Note: The number of AMSes that I've seen that are deployed so that friendly infantry need to run past the enemy spawn room or across an open field/road is too ****ing high! Seriously, don't do that!)

Even taking those three points into consideration, there's still a high likelihood that your bus is going to get blown up anyway. Which leads me to my response to the OP (Note: This is the TLDR below in bold)

The name of the game isn't 'capture the control point and hold it', the objective is to contain enemy spawns. Prior to the implementation of no deploy zones it was nothing to see AMSes deployed everywhere. You couldn't just blow up one bus, you had to blow up 5. That were right next to each other. It sucked.

Best practice (from my experience) is to have 4 AMSes deployed, but spread out around the base, with a couple more in the back waiting to move forward when (not if) your primary AMS gets taken down. A good rule of thumb is to have 3 up at all times.

Sorry if the post seems a little patronizing but I've seen some terrible AMS parking jobs and the rage is too great to not let out.
    • Up x 1
  20. Ronin Oni

so many bad spawns >.<