Why are there no doors in bases?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by HappyStuffin, Jan 19, 2015.

1. MichaelS

While I would like to see some doors myself, I understand that they can be frustrating server wise. But I don't understand why we don't have much more switch able force fields that provide the simplest form of base making and bring some use to infiltrators and LA.
  2. Crayv

Well it would probably work better than actual doors. A couple of light bridges on a continent is no big deal for the server. A few at every base? That is something else entirely.
  3. FateJH

When most people are talking about doors, they mean opening and closing doors, which are a bit more technical.
    [IMG]
    However, the excuses provided don't change with your revelation. Each of these things will have synchronization detail and a server load to weigh, and the stress of the mounting number of entities is what the developers wish to avoid.
  4. ATRA_Wampa-One

Because this game is made and coded by talented individuals.
  5. Hatesphere

*Looks around for your steller coding*
  6. MikeyGeeMan

Blast door....oh please.
  7. Death Reaper

Sorry I wasn't specific enough, of course you'd want to have them function like actual doors and not just appearing and disappearing walls, that's what i was trying to get at when I was referring to having them be actual metal devices and not just light-walls. Apologies for that, I should have worded it better.

While I don't get the impression that a lot more of them would cause a big increase in overall server lag, I certainly don't have any evidence to rationally disprove it. Also, as implied above, it would definitely need at least a small animation for the door opening and closing, which could incur issues I'm unaware of. The point I was hoping to convey is simply that physical objects being turned 'on' and 'off' is hardly something that the game can't handle, and even if it were only, say, 2 doors in a base, just like Heyoka Chemical only has 2 bridges, it would still be a huge improvement to those who would like to see more doors in the game.
  8. Xasapis

It actually is, considering the amount of competition they have in the same space ... ie, zero.
  9. MotionBlured

Doors aren't worth the investment.
  10. omgBAMF

11. ZBrannigan

given the game can't render all the players too you anyway, may as well lose them and get doors, i doubt you'll miss what you couldn't see anyway. and 1000 players per map would still be bigger than pretty much anything else so still maintains it's
    MASSIVE WARFARE

tagline
    there should be no more lag than actual players as there is a minimum number of 'states' a player can be in (stance/movement/action/direction/class/position, not including vehicle states), all of which has to be given to you, a door has 4 states, open/closed/opening/closing. the game only needs to tell you what state it's in at any given time. so less lag i would imagine as less data has to be given to you.
  12. St0mpy

1. The door problem in gaming.

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/LizE...2/quotThe_Door_Problemquot_of_Game_Design.php

(yes its a re-quote but then so is this thread a re-ask)

Really? Youre trying compare PS1 with its 133 players per faction per server limitation, to Planetside 2 and try to make out there are less people now? What planet are you on? Its not Earth or the Auraxis I know of.
  13. Kitamura

To be fair, it was 500 person per cont with 200 per empire locks (so you could have 200, 200, 100 if two factions maxed out their pop caps) at the start until they reduced it due to "dwindling population". Not sure what PS2's contlock is set to though.
  14. Yago

I'd bet the numbers aren't that far off, and it's the feel too.

The battles don't feel big, two groups of people on foot, a couple of hover spammers, and some tanks stuck in single file and ineffective. (or sat outside a spawn room).
    Even the snipers are lame, I was guarding a base with two or three other VS, with a handful of really cool NC players (good sports) trying to take it.
    There were some NC snipers on the hills around, but they didn't try to help their faction, not join in, or even try to keep the defenders pinned down... just chase lame kills.

The design seems flawed in some way that doesn't produce what PS1 did.
    I am no expert on game design, I don't pretend to be, and I don't get paid to be, all I can do is speculate and converse.

I am on planet ConDem, so god help me. :p
  15. uhlan

The game is a "streamlined" (dumbed-down) version of PS1.

The idea was to make a game with as few obstacles to farming as possible. With minimal commitment to strategy or tactics.

The idea that this engine can't have doors because it's too resource hoggy or being too technical is ridiculous. Same with water since they have that in another game with this engine.

However, considering how much code is written and re-written in this game, there is no telling what state something as simple as an opening door would be in PS2 by this time.
    • Up x 1
  16. Crashsplash

Yes at launch

When I started playing 1 year after ps1's release the pop limits were 166 per empire per continent, it then reduced a couple of years later when populations themselves reduced in order that there were pop locks plus additional fighting elsewhere.

However, remember that each continent had fewer bases to attack/defend so that may be why fights in ps1 feel like they may be bigger than in ps2 - because the available population is spread over a smaller area.
  17. Whatupwidat

Because every single door has to be coded - and counts as an "AI" pretty much.

Servers are shonky enough as it is - the reason PS1 got away with it is because it had fewer players, smaller maps, looked like ****, and played like ****.
  18. axiom537

When you are running like hell for a building trying to get away from the enemy and you have to push a button to open the door and then wait for it to open...You will not like doors so much...
  19. Yago

A thought, again usual noob disclaimer.

The problem with bases is defence, and thus doors are brought into question.
    The dropping of the low number of gens, basically compromises the whole base.

How about a few more gens in the bases, and each gen will power only certain shields.
    Drop a gen and you only can affect one or two shields.
    Kinda like hacking a single door, lets an attack in that part, without turning a base into an open car park.

Could also be integrated into the nanite resource system, where gens start failing and shields dropping when nanites run out (yes I want ant runs to return).
  20. Taemien

I bet it has little to do with what the servers can do, and more with what everyone's computers can handle. We had alot of neat looking things and many assets for bases in Beta.

It all went to the chopping block during optimization patches.

I wonder what the game would have looked like and the possibilities it could have had if everyone just updated their computers.