Why are sticky grenades so incredibly powerful?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Stigma, Apr 25, 2015.

1. H0urg1ass

Much higher up on the priority list is the current ability to throw any type of grenade through spawn room shields. Lets fix that first, then work on sticky damage.
  2. Scr1nRusher

Is it OP because its OP or is it OP because someone is telling you its OP?
  3. ronjahn

All the drama; I was only kidding about the video part, if you were around for rocket launcher nerfs awhile back you'd know what I meant :/

They still do more damage then other grenades which could be why I didn't realize they were bugged.
    • Up x 1
  4. Mustarde

I understand your frustration as well. I made a video that attempts to be both informative, illustrative and entertaining and while MOST people can understand what I am doing, some can't get over this notion that I am somehow creating problems out of thin air.

But to address your original question, sticky grenades have two issues. The first is that they ignore flak armor. That's a big one, but is only part of the picture, as even if you corrected this bug, they would still be grossly overpowered. The second issue is that stickies have a large inner blast radius that gives them a OHK range of 3.5 meters, compared to 2m for frags. Do the math, that's a big difference in surface area!

Graph of damage values (before the AV grenade nerf) - Just look at that inner blast radius![IMG]

So yeah, some forumsiders get hung up on "meta" and my videos, and still can't get over how I pointed out how broken rocket launchers were last year. But the bottom line is that stickies are the only damage grenade that has its original profile - the rest were reduced for the very reasons you notice - a single toss will kill piles of enemies, with almost no effort. As more people decide to use them, battles become grenade "hot potato" and there's barely any exchange of gunfire. It's terrible gameplay and no fun for either side.

In case you wanted to watch, here's the sticky video. See for yourself and make up your own mind.

• Up x 2
  5. Kanil

Is it really a problem that the worst infantry class has an above average grenade?
  6. Mustarde

Normally, I'd say no.

But with endless nanites, easy respawns at defensive bases, and the sheer power of sticky grenade, you are not actually playing "engineer". You are playing "sticky bandolier" for that specific fight, then leaving and going back to HA with 20 risk free low-effort kills from spamming a point.
  7. Kanil

Fair enough.
  8. Scr1nRusher

Why are sticky grenades all of a sudden "OP" now?

Also, Rocket launchers were not broken what so ever.
  9. FateJH

He's not saying that they're OP. he's saying they haven't been given the same considerations to which other grenades have had to conform. To be fair, they are "Frags+" in all respects at the moment and have outstripped being eligible as "just sidegrades."

I take offense at being called the "worst infantry class."
    • Up x 1
  10. Kubin

At first when I saw the original topic about stickies that Mustarde has posted and I've read your posts, Scr1nRusher I thought you might be right. I wasn't there for rocket launchers nerf but when I tried to play with stickies for a bit just to see what is Mustarde talking about, it has struck me that he's actually right and you're just mad because you believe that he destroyed launchers. You're based solely on your personal hate towards Mustarde and even though I don't know him, I don't like that. Even though I don't know jack about that flak-ignore and inner radius of stickies, I HAVE to admit that those are powerful as hell, even though I'd love them to stay the way they are. And it's not coming from seeing Mustarde in a heavily edited video, because it's not a proof (sorry, Mustarde). It's coming from my own gameplay.
    If you want to prove Mustarde wrong, reach for actual counterevidence if you have one, because for now all you do is saying "How do you know stickies are OP? THEY'RE NOT! WHAT? NUMBERS? EVIDENCE? TAKE IT OFF MY SIGHT! LALALA I DOOON'T SEE THAT! LOL, NO OP, LAUNCHERS NOT OP TOO!".

I'm very sorry for the last lines as I don't want to be rude, but that's how I see your "point".
    • Up x 4
  11. wrenched

You should read the post you quoted.

DBG should implement max posts per day because the scr1n forum trolling/post derailing is getting insane.
  12. Scr1nRusher

I did read it.

How am I trolling & derailing?

I'm the only one Questioning.
  13. Kubin

You're questioning yet you're blind to any answer that isn't the one you already have in your mind. You've actually quoted Mustarde's post that contained information about what's wrong with stickies and THEN you've kept "questioning".

I know, I know. Sometimes the journey itself is better thad the destination, but in this case it's actually trolling. You ask, you get the answer and then you keep asking. You're proving you like questioning for questioning itself far more than for getting an answer. That being said - this post is the last in which I "feed the troll". Good day to you, sir.
  14. Scr1nRusher

You honestly think this is trolling?
  15. wrenched

The guy/girl you quoted give information of stickies damage profile and states: "But the bottom line is that stickies are the only damage grenade that has its original profile - the rest were reduced for the very reasons you notice", ie, they haven't changed since implementation.

But you go and ask: Why are sticky grenades all of a sudden "OP" now?

No one said they are "all of a sudden OP now". In fact, the exact opposite was stated and you quoted it! So if you take that out, you're left with 'why are they OP' (inferred: in comparison to other grenades), which is also stated!

It's like you only commented just so you could add the rocket launcher character attack, which is off topic. I guess that's what you end up doing once you're submitting ~80-100 posts a day on forumside.

So yes, it's a troll, and shame on me for feeding you.
  16. Scr1nRusher

sigh, you guys really bring things upon yourselves & the game pays for it.

What I just said has alot of truth to it, but unfortunately most are not smart enough to understand it.
  17. wrenched

What 'truth' did you add to the conversation again? (ps. 'a lot').

More trolling and personal attacks. Classy.
  18. omfgweeee

All needs to be done is fixing sticky ignoring flak armor when is not sticked to a target.

After that peoples can choose to play flak and not get ohk by stickys or go with something else and try to avoid them.

Engies totaly deserves stronger nades, nerfing here isnt a option.
    • Up x 2
  19. Scr1nRusher

Where in my response did I attack anyone?
  20. Klypto

They are broken, hopefully a fix will come some month soon.