Why are people being over compensated?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Chiss, Apr 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SRMetalWolf

No you dontget a refund and you also lose your bonuses aparently the moment you cancel even if you paid 12 months in full ahead.
    Not much of a loss, the subs bonus is pants anyway, even a 12 month one.
  2. biterwylie

Not planning on renewing my membership anyway, I am only BR39 and cant find anything usefull to spend certs on. Also getting very board without a meta game. I am not even sure why people get excited that they Cap a continent. Less than 10 mins later they usually loose 50% of it anyway as players log off. Also annoyed that vehicles are pretty useless now with all the infantry AV. It is not the combied arms game I subscribed to or what they billed it as.
  3. Purg

Well, you are whining. Let's be honest.

I benefited from the cert grants - ~6000 certs. I've been painted as someone who made stupid purchasing decisions since I bought identical weapons on Connery and Briggs for my NC. I bought those several days after release knowing full well that;

a) there would be no faction wide unlocks.
    b) I would not be refunded for double purchases.

I was compensated in certs for the weapons I bought twice across two characters. If someone had bought one weapon on one character they were now gifted the same weapon on another character, it's reasonable to grant compensation for those paying customers that bought the same weapon twice. Had I not been compensated, I would have gracefully accepted the decision. I wasn't looking for my SC back or certs.

Now, my primary NC on Briggs had 4000 unused certs and I'm BR62. Fortuitously, I created 5 other characters that also received the same amount of certs. I wasn't aware that they were going to be gifted the same amount of certs when I created them - I just created a bunch of characters with my 6 slots on servers that were lacking population so that I could play them outside of Australia prime time on the odd occasion.

0.03% received more than 2000 certs. It isn't that big a deal. It hasn't detracted from the state of the game. At best, it's given alts that rarely get played on different servers a slight leg up. The chance of you running against one of these 'supercert' characters in the space of 1000 encounters was calculated to be 0.6.

You're willing to quite the game on that? Perspective. It's a wonderful thing.
    • Up x 1
  4. Mrpanda14

Those of us who are upset don't really have many options besides quitting. If we stop buying SC and cancel membership but still play the game we are still creating value for SOE. The only way is to voice our discontent and quit.

For a lot of people it also just killed any motivation to play. Do I really feel like spending a few days or weeks grinding 1-2k certs? After knowing that some guy was given 200k? How about no.
    • Up x 1
  5. Evil Monkey

Some people here need a reality check.

Do you enjoy the game or not? If you enjoy it, play it, if you don't, don't. It's like saying you no longer enjoy playing football because professionals get paid an unreasonable amount of money. I mean, no one really deserves $250,000 a week for playing a game - which they enjoy - when you may even have to pay to play at a club. I know this, but it doesn't make me "quit" playing football for fun. That would be stupid. It's like refusing to play PC games cos your cousins' mum got him an awesome whiz bang computer for Christmas, which he didn't work for.

This is not a broken game mechanic, an exploit, or a bug that ruins YOUR gameplay.

The (few) people who got unearned certs are NOT rampant hackers ruining gameplay for everyone they encounter.
    If people actually cared enough to make a 64-page whine about hackers, we might be able to have less ***** in the game.

If the only reason you play is to "grind" certs, this sounds like an unpaid job, not a game. Only you are watching digital numbers go up, rather than earning real $$$. In fact, you could get a real job for a few hours, buy SC, and get 1000s of certs worth of equipment, rather than grinding 50c/hr worth of certs. If you think about it, this is effectively "buying" certs, albeit indirectly.

Every time a person buys a 1000-cert gun with station cash, he is "skipping" about 20hrs of gameplay. How dare these people fund your game! They didn't earn those certs either! I have about 5000SC of equipment... worth about 7000 certs I DID NOT EARN. That's a few months gameplay advantage right there. I just paid for the game you play. You're welcome. Feel free to quit due to this injustice any time.

If the fact some people got an unexpected bonus hurts your enjoyment of the game so much you need to quit, then please quit. You didn't like the game that much anyway. You didn't lose anything, you weren't inconvenienced in any way. In fact, it impacted your life less than a triple loading screen glitch. And Planetside already has more than its quota of whiners, so you won't be missed.

I find it sad that SOE tries to make a nice "gesture" and cops more flak than it does for game-breaking bugs and cheaters.
    • Up x 2
  6. bobzebrick

I glad to see this is still going and the amount of members cancelling memberships shows this is not a mute issue as they are trying to state. I've spent a few $100 here on boosts and weapons including duplicates and got no refund (ticket still unanswered), I was never a member but I can tell you now this is a completely F2P game for me from now on.
    • Up x 1
  7. Evil Monkey

It always WAS. :rolleyes:

Certs were never sacred like some rather stupid naive people believe.

A membership gets you 50 free certs for every 100 you "earn."

So a member who has made 10,000 certs has recieved 5000 "free certs" i.e. certs he paid for by being a member.

A membership gets you 48 certs a day vs, what - 12? A 6 month membership BUYS you effectively say 180 x 36 certs.
    So a membership BUYS you 13,000 certs which are totally passive (i.e. you only need to log on)

Membership = BUYING CERTS.
    Certs aren't "sacred."
    What don't people get about this?
    • Up x 2
  8. Sahansral

Again...
    a) those who won't spent a dime on this game, couldn't care less about this refund.
    b) there's no question, that concerning the SC spent on duplicate items there should be a refund. Nobody is against a nice gesture.

But...
    the Cash of the people buying membership and (heroic) boosts are no less supporting this game than the one spent for instant benefits like weapons. The former having the advantage for SOE to be easier to calculate with , as well as a sign of these players to trust this game and commit for a longer time to it.

This "nice gesture" just steps on the feet of the longterm supporters - devaluates/cheapens their investment by giving others weeks/months worth of grind on top of their deal.

Why spent 150$ on heroic boosts/membership when I can spent them on bundles and duplicate weapons and get a 20K Cert refund on 6 Chars? You have to play really much to make the increased xp-gain of the former match the frontload Cert-Refund of the later, and then you have to spent extra cash to unlock the weapons.
    • Up x 1
  9. bobzebrick

I would like you to post your profile, the only people doing mental gymnastics to defend this are people who have been given certs. No-one can say this wasn't a bad idea and hasn't hurt the competitive nature of the game.

Also giving someone a boost on time spent playing is a completely different situation to giving out 100,000s of certs for nothing. I'd prefer not to have the membership bonus too but that's the state of F2P games atm. SC and certs were separated for a reason, because buying certs would be pay to win.
    • Up x 1
  10. Mrpanda14

I enjoyed the game while I played it but knowing that certain individuals were granted years worth of my playtime killed it for me as I am sure it did for a lot of other people.

You may also want to tone down the hostility in your post, Evil Monkey. It is kind of funny that you label me irrational/hysterical then go on to basically yell at me. In your experience have you ever changed someone's mind by screaming at them? haha
    • Up x 2
  11. Bape

I understand it just cert and basically who cares. What the problem is that it WAY TO MUCH DAM CERT like holy crap if i had 24k cert I would have maxed out all my classes by now and I wished I had that much lol. I don't care really but grinding cert with no boost sucks and just thinking of what If I got 24k or 200k cert it just not right they have to do something like maybe release GU7 really early to make us happy :).
  12. Evil Monkey

I apologise if I offended. I kinda just picked it as a handy example - I didn't mean a personal attack. It makes me a bit sarcastic when people spend so much energy complaining about something that does not actually directly affect them, when hackers and game glitches pass without comment.

How can it hurt the "competitive nature of the game?"
    XP and certs are already separated.
    Members get tens of thousands of free certs by PAYING for membership and will continue to get them over the course of the year.
    These evil members did it on purpose, too. It wasn't just a "one off" accidental bonus hey didn't intend to have. Ever logged on just as an alert finished and you got 40 certs for doing nothing?

If what you say is true:
    Members vs non-members hurts the competitive nature of the game.
    Heroic boosts hurt the competitive nature of the game.

Ironically, I totally think the "nice gesture" should have been a SC refund. I think it was mishandled by SOE. It's the 64 freaking pages of whining that bugs me.

(In view of "disclosure" I got 1500SC refunded across 3 chars, btw, i.e. 500 on each... which I would think is "normal" as far as refunds go. Since they were all already BR40+, I had 1000 spare certs on each already so it wasn't exactly a game breaking change. )

The "20K" people everyone is crying about are .000001% of playerbase so they are a poor example. It would be like basing government taxation on the 1% of the world's wealthiest.

No one planned for it. It is a pleasant surprise, but it's not like people went hoarding duplicate weapons cos they thought they would get better value than buying a "50% boost" or similar. This is not a malicious act, it was (a perhaps rather misguided) goodwill gesture.

And it does not effect anyone who did not get it. The certs were not "taken away" from anyone else.
    Again, the whining here is like someone finding out their cousin getting a nice TV for Xmas, then threatening never to watch TV again because the cousin got it as a surprise gift.

Not true.
    You DO "buy certs" with membership which you acknowledge as "OK".
    I will get (logging on very day) 6,500 or so certs in the course of my 6 month membership. For doing nothing.
    I would like to get "100,000 certs" but this is just ridiculous exaggeration.

This argument has some legitimacy.
    A cert-upfront deal would be more attractive in many circumstances. However it was a act of goodwill, not malicious sabotage. It wasn't a "certs for $$$" sale - that's what heroic boosts or memberships or weapon purchases are for.

More dodgy is the nerfing of weapons to make "new" 700SC weapons more attractive. Or releasing untested OP weapons then nerfing them once enough people have bought them. However, the heroic boost people knew what they were buying.... and were happy with the deal when they pressed "Purchase."

My question is - why was any refund given at all? People KNEW they were doubling up on weapons, bundles or not.
    It's the crying once it happened that bugs me, as no one has actually lost anything or had their gameplay effected.

EDIT: Math fail - 180x36 = 6480 :rolleyes:
  13. bobzebrick

Thanks for not posting your profile and kinda proving my point. You wouldn't be wasting so much time here raging, if you were not one of the people gifted unrealistic amounts of certs, and if you are then well it's probably time to go outside ;)
  14. Fenrisk

This post just ripped to shreds the whine arguments over the cert refund. ^^^^^ Not that they would ever admit as much. I would also add that any account wide gun that you buy saves that player 3000 certs. Each faction gun saves you 1000 certs. Each boost you buy is buying certs.

Some people who are complaining here:

a) never spent a penny on this game
    b) spent money but never realised just how many thousands of certs they personal saved or gained out of the deal
    c) new players who don't understand how this game works and how the store ties into it as free too play concept.

As soon as you destroy their arguments you get accused of sitting on a mountain of certs when in reality most of the players who got nothing like myself don't care and the 50 or so accounts that gained a mountain of certs are too busy having fun to care.

The funny thing is there are less people complaining on the forums about this then the 0.3% who got over 2000 certs. The 0.01 percentage are outraged!
  15. Laraso

Guys... This is page 64... Can we let this thread die already? There's nothing new being discussed here, it's just degenerated into an argument.
  16. Evil Monkey

Thanks for trying to discredit me with personal attacks.

Thanks also for proving my point by not responding or refuting ONE of my arguments.

I "rage" because of stupidity. Without attacking anyone in particular, there is a lot of it in this thread.

EDIT: This thread has kinda run its course. I really wish we could get a 64 page one asking SOE to deal with hackers/explain its policy/how it bans them etc - you know, something that actually improved peoples game experience....
  17. Dubious

not dead yet
  18. Kedyn

Nothing at all? You should double-check. SOE made a support ticket to get in contact with me about my cert grant.
  19. Kedyn

Check your email or create a support ticket about it.
  20. h00n

Still not seeing how this is going to leave a scar.

People who play for progression alone SHOULD leave. If SOE gave me 250,000 certs right from the get go, I'd still play the game because I enjoy playing the game.
    • Up x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.