Why are DEVs more active on reddit?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by LtBomber1, Dec 8, 2017.

1. LtBomber1

Title.

I know/hope that the DEVs are reading on this forum, as they stated at some point. However, they respond far more frequently on the external reddit.

Is this on purpose?
    Every player has a PS2 forum account, why do i need to create a extrenal one to get feedback?
    Why are the DEVs not promoting their own forums by communicating and writing in here?

Well, lets see if this one gets an answer (hopefully not on reddit...)
    • Up x 2
  2. JobiWan

I asked this (more or less) on the Reddit AMA a couple of weeks ago. The community person Roxy or similar said she'd (I think she's s she) would try and do better.

The traditional answer is the Devs think this place is too toxic. Yet they post on Reddit........
    • Up x 1
  3. Icehole1999

Reddit is just more popular. That's all. Most game companies pretty much ignore their official forums.
  4. ObiVanuKenobi

Most of toxic stuff and unpopular suggestions get filtered out on reddit by the community with downvotes.
    For example N0ot threads just wouldn't exist there.
    It's not only Planetside. Almost all games have more members on Reddit than official forums. If you play more than 1 game it's easier to use reddit. If you don't want to read all new threads/don't have the time and just want to see what's popular right now it's easier to use reddit because of the voting system.
    • Up x 2
  5. LtBomber1

Vaild.
    So why dont they change their forums?...

PS: Other games? /s
  6. AtckAtck

A little more moderation and participation and the forums would be a great source of free suggestions. But that would mean WORK. Work that they think a voting system can do for them. But personal interaction is always better.
    DB should not only show some more activity on their own forums. And please some useful posts with real information. Not just a stupid side comment (like it now is) just to proof that a dev/mod account really exists...
  7. LtBomber1

I am aware that this post is not constructive for the game directly, however i think the DEV-player interaction could be further improved by having some kind of dialog in the forums. If it was all good, i would feel ashame to post something like this.
  8. stalkish

LOL then why not simply say......
    Our official forums is:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/
    And simply direct everyone there from the start.

They get all feedback in the same place, and dont waste time and funds creating a forum.
    Win win.....

Saying the most toxic stuff gets filtered is putting binders and on yelling 'i cant hear you' at the top of your voice.

Sure some toxic posts might get rightly downvoted, but theres nothing worse than crowd mentality bullying.
    Private messages sent around saying ''downvote all X's posts''.....Vendettas...Brown nosing of the highest order...etc etc.
    The sort of behaviour that goes on behind the scenes is even more toxic than any post could ever be.

The whole place stinks tbh, worst so called 'discussion' website on the net imo.
    If you're not with the 'in' crowd you might aswel not bother posting.

Easy to use is also a bit of an open ended assumption, i cant ******* stand the place, cant figure out who is talking to who, cant follow a conversation, dont understand why it says 'click for more' and then gives less....
    Worst layout of any forum ever, just my opinion of course, but not everyone likes it.
    • Up x 4
  9. UberNoob1337101

The number one reason it's the worst place for a constructive discussion. Discussing game's content should allow all opinions to be presented, no matter how popular/unpopular they are. Here at least you hear everyone, on Reddit a good chunk of "discussions" are popularity contests or echo chambers.

On this forum, if someone challenges your idea, you can :
    Respond constructively
    Maybe learn some new info you didn't know before
    Respond badly and make yourself look a little silly
    Or say nothing. None of these are "toxic" either.

On reddit, you either :
    Get upvoted to the heavens
    Keep hearing the echo inside the chamber that is the subreddit
    Get downvoted, maybe even get your post removed because it's not popular
    Get shadowbanned. ******* shadowbans. Who thought this was a good idea?
    On a decent subreddit, you can have decent constructive debate, but that's like 10% of subreddits and /r/PS2 isn't one of them

The downvote system can be a nice convenience tool and time-saving, but it's also the most anti-conversational thing ever. I even think that the current ignore function goes too far and some people seem too trigger-happy with it.

Not saying all sub-reddits are bad (hey, the PS4 one is great, amazing place), but most of them are only good for banter, giving new players suggestions, news, memes and perhaps polls since it's forbidden to use polls in the forums. For actual conversations, forums are superior in almost every way.

They're legit not all that bad, hell, he's posted some pretty good posts here! Not saying that almost all of his early threads are constructive, but it's kinda fun to check a silly thread once in a while. It's not that big of a deal.

Not to pour gasoline and light a fire, but does anyone remember this? The way the redditors and their admins respond to a SINGLE member, with clear logical fallacies in their comments and their terrible hostile attitude to someone who was simply disliking their system. Haven't visited the PS2 subreddit ever since that disaster.
    • Up x 2
  10. Pikachu

[IMG]
  11. Pikachu

Now I miss Scr1nrusher.
    [IMG]
    • Up x 1
  12. CutieG

Instead they have an entirely different type of cancer growing there.
    Redditside lives in a reality distortion bubble and the devs only listen to them. It's bad for the game.
    • Up x 3
  13. Longasc

I can echo what many people said about the Planetside Reddit. I would not call it bad, but it definitely has enough dark sides and issues. I always found this preference of Reddit over the official forums weird, many companies do it.
  14. Humoreske

In Reddit, the voice of a specific faction is too big and PS2 will be changed as such. *sigh*
    Perhaps the "alternative" cyclone will be buffed.
  15. adamts01

He's got some good ideas. Most are just absurd buffs to stalkers. But more than anything it's worth keeping his conversations around just for his hilarious raging when people disagree with him.
    • Up x 2
  16. CutieG

I don't think anyone care's about his ideas.
    The problem is his inability to communicate properly.