Who wouldn't be sad to see MAXes gone?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Itermerel, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Itermerel

besides the people who heavily invested into it, and the anti air people, is there anyone who wouldnt be sad if they removed maxes from the game?

just wondering.

it seems like the rare occasion a good infantry fight starts up, people just spam maxes. it takes the fun right out of the game for me.

ive played all 3 factions, and the 2 main reasons I like nc the most is because 1. i love the gauss saw and 2. i dont have to deal with NC max in biolabs (that seems like the only place any infantry fights happen these days)
    • Up x 2
  2. JokeForgrim

Not me.

Im sure the players that love them would though.

The funniest thing i have consistently seen, someone spawns a max at a point. Killing spree, everyone moves on to the next point. The max isnt in an outfit and misses a galaxy or sunderer ride.

I fly over in my ESF or drive by in my MBT while seeing maxes run from the point that was just capped, to the next way marker :')

Seriously? Just change kit, get a vehicle and spawn another one in 15m when your time cools down. 30mins of travel time for 100 inf resc?
  3. Recce

I rarely play MAX and it would be sad to see them gone.
    • Up x 1
  4. Playful Pony

I see plenty of infantry fight outside the Biolabs personally, but it would certainly help if they made vehicles a bit less expendable (aka, cost more resources/reduce resource gain and increase cooldown timer!) so they couldn't be spammed and zerged in the magnitude they currently are. I don't find fighting MAXes a problem, regardless of which faction I play. I have a TR and an NC in almost the same BR, and a VS trailing slightly behind. MAXes can be handled extremely easy on my NC HA, I just pull out the launcher and they are gone in 1 or 2 shots. On my TR medic I have the grenade launcher for my rifle, and a direct hit from one of those do some very respectable damage, to the point where it is no longer a problem for myself or my team mates to finish it off. On VS I play exclusively LA, and I generally find that getting onto a roof and laying down fire on it is enough to destroy a MAX. It requires a few magazines if it's a 1-on-1, but my vastly superior agility allows me to fight him when I personally see fit. And as always, a single pack of C4 is a sure kill...

Generally I would imagine you struggle in a 1-on-1 unless you get the drop on the MAX (which isn't so hard). He did after all spend infantry resources on it, so he should be better than you in that situation. Taking one down only requires a small amount of coordination though, even the dreaded Hacksaw MAXes are no trouble for my squad and I. One simple-to-use tactic is a quick concussion grenade inside the room he is camping (cause they always do that), followed by an attack with grenades/launchers/C4 or just a big old infantry rush. Fair enough, it requires those grenades unlocked, but it's a highly effective tactic. Alternatively, get your squad together an spam grenades into the room, then rush him from several directions if possible...

No I don't want to see them gone, they are a fun and entertaining part of the game.
  5. FateJH

I would miss definitely TR and NC MAXes, though I may be biased.
  6. Bad News

What good does maxes do? 1v1 i win 90% of the fights as a medic.
    They are only good to scare of air and now a lock on from a launcher do the same job.
  7. Draxo

I hardly play MAXes and don't see a problem with them.
  8. VSDerp

if maxes was removed. NC would be DOOMED !
    • Up x 2
  9. ABATTLEDONKEY

Really? a call to Eliminate maxes? are some people just going to call for the elimination anything that can kill them? maxes are incredibly easy to kill, require a resource investment, and have a timer. they are NOT impervious, and will be taken down pretty quick unless heavy teamwork is utilized. It sucks turning a corner and going toe to toe with a max, but its the EXACT same feeling as turning a corner and seeing a heavy aiming at me (i play engi alot). when your out-classed, your out-classed and you have to adapt to over come or realize that your not going to win, and go else where.
    Maxes are pretty situational, and if you only want to put yourself in that situation, you had better get used tot he idea of fighting maxes.

EVERY game will have winners, and no they wont always be you!
    • Up x 1
  10. JP_Russell

I would be. I think they add an important dynamic to infantry combat.
    • Up x 1
  11. AccelPrime

Because the VS max shoots soft air gun pellets...
    • Up x 1
  12. Littleman

MAXes are fun aspects of combat. Well, except for scats. The NC can claim their useless outside of 10m all they want, these things seem to be doing a fine job ventilating me at ranges where I actually have to control my aim, but then I can't really tell if they're using slug ammo or not (which is BS.)
  13. Brickwalker

Planetside without Maxes?

it wouldnt be Planetside then.

Now BFRs...thats where I draw the line.
  14. Itermerel

im assuming your server doesnt have zergfits like on mattherson where it's a common occurrence to see 20+ max zergs

it's simply boring.
  15. ABATTLEDONKEY

that sounds amazing! I WISH we had that. Ive seen max zergs, but they are few and far between on wonderful genudine.

It sounds like you play solo and cant figure out how to deal with problems.
  16. fish998

They should maybe cost more. I mean to deck out my LA with C4 costs the same as 2 MAXs, and yet a MAX can get a lot of infantry kills in the right situation. They are quite situational though and generally need engies to be effective.
  17. iRhuel

I've invested a fair bit into my MAX suit and... honestly I wouldn't be sad if they were axed. Everytime I hop into my max suit (assuming I do a decent job choosing my engagements, which isn't hard in the situations I decide to pull one) I get at least 10-15 kills, usually more, before the fight is over.

I feel like what they add to infantry conbat doesn't condone good gameplay - a big, slow damage soak that rips infantry to shreds for a paltry 100 infantry points. It should come down to decisions with more weight and ambiguity than, "should I pull out my one-man killing machine, or shouldn't I?"
  18. AnuErebus

I would be sad to see them gone. Maybe not so much the scat max swarms which instagib entire rooms of opposing enemies, but in general I feel like they have an incredibly useful role in major fights. Outside the scat max they're pretty weak on their own, to make them shine they need proper engi support. They're great for creating and breaking hardened defenses and removing them would make long stalemates far less interesting.
  19. Zorro

MAX suits are a good amount of fun and are often vital in tactics, but they do need to be a bit more versatile. They should never be removed.
  20. phreec

I'd miss my HAXMAX in Biolabs... :rolleyes:

They seriously need to balance MAX's and add similar instagib weapons for the TR/VS and grant the NC MAX's more sustainable mid-range gun than shotgun slugs.