Who designed the spawns in this game?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by gunshooter, Dec 8, 2012.

1. gunshooter

Outposts:

You are camping the spawn the exact second you get to the base because they're RIGHT THERE in the open just like any other old building. gee I wonder why there's never any actual fights over any of these?

Bio labs:

The second you actually push into the base, you're immediately camping the spawn room because they're so small and the two most important objectives are a 5 second walk from the spawn room.

Tech plants:

You push in and you immediately are camping the enemies teleporters from their spawn. Capping the point and taking out the generator are just a formality because the fight was over the second you breached the doors and began camping their spawn.

Amp stations:

Again, the second you're inside the walls you're immediately camping the spawn. Usually there is a sunderer in the middle, but that doesn't change the terrible spawn design.
  2. Warna Bayangan

You're absolutely right! Who the hell uses a sunderer nowadays anyway!
    Oh that was a troll? Damn....fell for it :/
  3. Free

Yes, everything in this game is basically undefendable due to the spawn locations. Having central spawn points in bases in PS1 was pretty much the only reason an empire could defend a base for multiple hours.

I know there was a bit of community outcry of how "easy" it was to defend ps1 bases, maybe the ps2 base designer feared making bases too defendable and separated the spawns.

Of course we can all see now how well the separation works when infantry are very weak compared to vehicles. This might have been viable design in ps1 due to how powerful infantry was.
  4. Tren's_War

Tech plant spawns have a teleporter leading inside the main building.

Bio lab spawns have an upper floor with balconies to let light assaults out to harass from the roof tops.

Now going from there I do prefer the larger spawns set in the upper floor with grav lifts going to the roof, offers alot more options for pushing out.

Otherwise, keep in mind, if you can't camp a spawn then you are gonna have a hell of a time taking any base.

Also let us pray they never go back to Beta where every base had a poorly defended SCU which was easily destroyed. =/
  5. Kageru

Yeah, it's intentional because they don't want lengthy defenses. To slow moving for the console bred "pew pew pew" brigade. They probably stuffed up on the tech plants because they somehow missed that people would park a sunderer in the vehicle bay to give a defended spawn point (since the shields can't be dropped without basically having over-run the defenders already).

The amp plant is the most obvious one. Lots of nicely vulnerable attack points sprinkled all over the huge map in isolated little sheds. It's pretty much built to favor breaking sieges in favor of a death-match.
  6. Lokarin

Two spawns with two doors each plus roof plus landing pads plus outliers...

I think that'd be impossible for 1 person to defend, almost like there's a team in a team game.
  7. Imnuktam

I dont know if it is intentional or not but I rather miss lengthy defensive battles and offensive struggles. Now its just the zerg, all hail the mighty zerg.

Worst spawns in the game are those tiny little crap bases that have a spawn the size of a small trailer with two farming doors for tanks, some are even more pathetic and are half that size with one door, sigh.. :confused:
  8. Kageru

Yeah, tech plants become an issue only when they have a decent number of defenders, manned turrets and a deployed sunderer + tanks in the vehicle bay, More attack points, being able to drop the vehicle bay shields from outside, having to use the base spawn points would all break this and they'll do one of those.

The base structure is definitely intentional. You can see it also in the placement of base defences with carefully obstructed views and easily popped by the enemy (again tech is unusual for having a roof above the defence turrets and they're hard to reach for an attacker), accessible vehicle spawn points that can be captured or hacked and limited places for infantry to change class to deal with threats. The amp plant which lets infantry run into the base directly and having the anti vehicle generators right near the gates is the most obvious. Though having the jump pads being a convenient highway for attackers is probably part of it too.

Though I actually don't mind watch-towers. They're still designed to turn into a big death match but they're small enough to be somewhat defensible, a protected spawn point not affected by vehicles while having lots of attack vectors.