[Whine] I'm scared to alt tab.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by GSZenith, Aug 26, 2013.

1. GSZenith

:(
    planetside has stop working.

but at least i can buy new camo!
    • Up x 4
  2. DJPenguin

Exiting the game causes crashes and has locked up my PC on one occasion since the last update. Good thing Sony is in a rush to fix these recurring problems.

[IMG]
  3. Rohnlex

4. Pikachu

I play windowed. I only have to press alt or escape and I can do other stuff. :)
  5. NinjaKirby

Same as Pikachu, I run it in a full sized window (So the reported screen res is actually like 1912x1072 or whatever), and it never crashes even when multi-tasking a hundred other things.

I believe just going to windowed mode and clicking the Windows Shell "Enlarge Window" button does it.
  6. Notih8Darian

Alt tab works fine for me while full screened
  7. Cougarbrit

I can alt tab, but heaven forbid I try to exit the game, gotta break out the ctrl alt delete for that.
  8. rickampf

haha, i have the exact same problem.
  9. Pikachu

Yes exiting the game always causes crash still. When was it introduced, GU12? :rolleyes:
    • Up x 1
  10. ViXeN

Yeah, same here. It almost always crashes now when I alt-tab.
  11. Cab00se187

The best part is these crashes happened in Vegas when people quit the game lol
  12. GSZenith

well don't worry, just heard you will be able to buy the "no bugs DLC" for 35dollar after you have referred 25people (need to buy 1000 SC)

confirmed on twitter and reddit.
    ;)
  13. Sordid

Shhh! Don't give SOE ideas! :mad:
  14. Pixelshader

I press alt+enter to swap to windowed mode instead of alt tabbing, same again to go back.
  15. TheRealMetalstorm

read this, don't scroll past - here's a fix for all of you
    if your game runs in a resolution other than your native (desktop) resolution, alt-tabbing involves re-initalisation of the graphics subsystem which can cause several problems if memory is low, software is buggy or any combination of several factors.

Here's how to completely fix the problem, as well as give you crisp UI.
    1. Check your desktop resoltuon. It's most likely 1920x1080 if you're using a widescreen monitor.
    2. Choose a desired resolution to run planetside 2 in with the same aspect ratio as your native resolution. For most of you who've figured out what your systems are capable of, this is probably your current Resolution setting under Options.
    3. Take the width and multiply it by your current "Render Quality" slider. Note down this value. This is the width of the resolution at which the engine is rendering 3d content.
    4. Take this number and divide it by the width of your native screen resolution. This will provide you with a decimal fraction. (that is hopefully not below 0.5, if it is, I cannot help you, your computer is not capable of running the UI at native resolution)
    5. Set your PS2 render quality slider to a value equal to that decimal fraction, e.g. 0.642 -> 64%. If you know how to edit your .ini files, do it there, but there's no real need.
    6. Set your game resolution to your native resolution.
    Example for Bob:
    1. Bob's native res for screen 1 is 1920x1080.
    2. Bob currently runs ps2 at 1600x900, and has render quality at 80%.
    3. This makes bob's ps2 3d renderer resolution (1600 x 0.8) by (900 x 0.8) -> 1280 x 720.
    4. Bob figures out that 1280 ÷ 1920 = 2 ÷ 3 which is roughly 67%.
    5. Bob sets render quality to 67% in Options.
    6. Bob sets PS2 resolution to 1920x1080 in Options.
    This gives bob crisp, compact UI, while the quality of his 3D graphics has not changed. Framerate is not impacted as well. Trust me, you'll enjoy it. icons, minimap, squad, chat, etc will take up a tiny portion of your screen since they're defined by pixel sizes, not point sizes.
    This also lets you alt-tab without incident.

edit: I think I'll post this in its own thread
  16. GSZenith

:mad:
    [IMG]

(it might be a way to make forumsiders ragequit :eek:)