Which is better AA? Lockdown Burster MAX or Skyguard?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by TechPriestess, Aug 26, 2015.

1. placeholder22

The answer is: Neither. Get a Walker for your Sunderer. A Walker-Basilisk Sunderer with Shield (or repair-tanking) is pretty much the only thing in the game that can stand up to a Liberator, and will be one of the more useful guns you can have on your Sunderer.
    • Up x 1
  2. 0fly0

I do agree with that, dual walker on armor sundie is the best but if you can't spawn sundie for some reason or have only the choice between AA max and skyguard, go for the AA max you have much cover and more versatility.
    • Up x 1
  3. Towie

Depends on the situation.

I have both and i'd say the Burster Max is used more often - due to the versatility (switching to other loadouts as and when required). I've got extended mags on both arms and that really helps the potential to actually kill air as they're flying away.

In a large scale battle, Skyguards are good on the perimeter (especially if you can find another one - just pull up next to it and shoot at the same target). Trouble is, what to do when there is no air - you can wait until they come back (they will) or go hunting, but it's not as simple as changing loadouts...
  4. Haquim

Only with bursters though.
    Or with pounders if you can get in sight of a deployed sundy.

I almost always have lockdown equipped, but more because I've decided to go with my factions ability than because its effective.
    A lockdown MAX with dual chainguns sure is scary when holding down a door - but only until some enemies grow a brain and throw some AV 'nades and/or rockets your way, since there is no way to escape.
    Or until a daring MAX simply charges right past you and either murders you or at least forces you to go mobile and deal with him instead of the door.
  5. placeholder22

Dual Walkers are nice to have and offer Platoon-Level AA in a huge radius, but you'll rarely have 2 dedicated gunners and use your sundy as an actual AA platform. Instead, cert the pants out of one Basilisk, so you can at least do point defense against infantry, harassers and dumb Lightnings, and switch the other gun around depending on need. A single walker allows you to switch from Tank-Destroying to ESF-destroying. If a lib shows up, you gonna need at least a second gunner though, but against Libs that try to tankbust you, a Basilisk is as good as a Walker. Only vs tiny ESFs, the Walker is a necessity without which you are not effective.
  6. Nogrim313

being VS and seeing the numbers id listen to this guy. for all the ******** TR do about lockdown i did not realize the damage numbers were this close when lockdown was added to the equation.

good ole TR always ******** about having the best abilities, i mean come on TR ***** about having larger clips sizes ffs
  7. 0fly0

Thank i have kind of realize that already, most of the time i spawn what i call a "classic sundie" wich mean armor sundie with fury and walker, i only spawn a dual walker a few time when the opposite faction just decide to play only air for destroy everything, but the idea of keeping a basilisk instead just in case a lib try to get me sound nice too, i will give it a try in game.
  8. TechPriestess

Problem with that is, is I don't Sundie, so that's why it wasn't even on the table :p

I will counter that Lockdown is -only- useful for Burster MAX because its only weapon that works well with it, the Fracture, is a pile of garbage anyhow.

...Definitely better than ZOE though, I will give you that. Although I'm still of the opinion that Aegis is the best one, but that's largely because I think its cool, so...
  9. Alox

A burster max lives near spawn rooms where they can get resupply and hide behind the shields if air turns their attention to them.

Skyguards have much more mobility but suffer from the huge amount of AV in the game.
  10. Collin

11. Imp C Bravo

I would say it depends on how reactionary and dedicated to AA you want to be. I'm pretty sure skyguard is more damaging than burster until you factor in lockdown -- but the explosions blind air just the same. The burster is faster for reactionary pulls to vehicles while the skyguard can operate longer.

As a pilot I am on the receiving end of flak all the time so I would tell you how I look at it -- The skyguard is larger of a target than the burster though, so that's an issue with aircraft that try to fight back. I usually try to fight back (which may be why I have one of the lowest KDs of pilots in my vehicle) if I have a zephyr on my bottom I will try tanking the flak and having my belly gunner kill him. This is more often than not effective. However, if there is anything else shooting at me at all, I can't kill the MAX fast enough. On the other hand, the skyguard is a bit of a toss up. It's larger so I try to get closer for a tank buster, (Dalton won't work as the skyguard can simply move while still shooting up my plane) and that may or may not work depending on how good the skyguard is at driving.

So, I would say, if you want to dedicate yourself to AA, I would say go skyguard. I would say they are slightly more frightening to me (as a pilot) than a MAX. Again, I want to reiterate that if you want to do other roles, and simply have flak on hand to kick planes out of the hex when you need to, the MAX is the better option.
  12. JohnGalt36

Skyguard, personally. I own both Burster arms and a maxed out Skyguard. The Bursters just aren't as fun to me, even if they do more damage.

Plus, you get to do fun stuff like this:

Pardon the terrible aim, I was using a touchpad. If the sound is screwed up, it's because I used the song Clint Eastwood, by Gorillaz, and Youtube made me remove it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  13. Taemien

Burster from spawn room. You can't be killed.

Course this should be changed.