Which gun for NC Engineer?

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by m3talc0re, Nov 12, 2014.

1. qquqq

I usually use the ac-x11 or merc,
    as an eng you need a long range gun most of the time, i find the merc is not really up to snuf in my eyes, there is something unwieldy about it,
    the major drawback of the ac-x11 is that it has bad hip fire accuracy, you have an advanced grip, so actually recommend no barrel of ammo slot, for the most flexible version of this weapon,
    close quarter carbines leave the engi too exposed on reloads, sure the dps is nice, but if your going that way the shotgun is king, might as well be the best at some thing,

shotty + mines + sticky + ammo pack + tower = fun certs + sad light assaults,
  2. TyranEndlos

I use Engineer a little bit, just a tad. These are what I use.

Mid to Long Range - Razor GD-23
    Only Mid Range - ACX-11
    CQC - GD-7F

I like to be close quarters ammo support most of the time and the GD-7F has given me the ability to actually fight pretty well. Though I do admit it is definitely not an NC feeling weapon.
  3. PvtRyanParts

I switch between the Warden and the Piston, depending on what I am doing. Of course, I'm also a bad players, so there you go.
  4. Uncle_Lou

I've tried almost all of the NC carbines and have yet to find one that feels 'right' to me. Part of the problem I think is that I tend to play my engi more aggressively, very up front in the middle of everything. All the carbines I've tried feel like either the RPM is a bit low or they just don't hit quite hard enough. I was always left feeling like if I didn't land all headshots I was in trouble. I ran an entire session yesterday as engineer using the Cyclone. I kinda wish the Cyclone had 5 more rounds in the magazine, but it is fantastic as is. It lacks the punch at medium ranges and some of the versatility you get with carbines but seems to work extremely well for the way I run my engi.
  5. xthezerohunter

The Knife is the best gun.
  6. day ofm one

My loadouts:

- close to medium: GD-7F with 1x red dot and front grip
    - medium to long: Razor GD-23 with 1x red dot, front grip and compensator
    - long range: AC-X11 with 1x red dot, front grip and compensator
  7. Skiptrace

Not terrible, but the GD-7F is only good at CLOSE ranges. I would swap the AC-X11 and the Razor GD-23 for ranges. As the AC-X11 has lower velocity and is better out to around 35m ish. The Default Merc is a great all around gun, put a 1x, Flash Suppressor, and a Laser Sight, as it's vertical recoil is great, you have a pretty great all around good gun. If you want to have versatility, go for the Gauss Compact S, with Smoke Launcher, Flash Suppressor, Soft Point, and a 2x Sight, you add extra utility with the Smoke Launcher. You could also go with Underbarrel Shotgun for better CQC. If you need mobility + range, the Bandit is your go-to gun for that. It has 0.75x ADS Speed, making it the only NC carbine with this advantage, use it for short to mid ranges, as that's where it excels. Also, NEVER get High Velocity Ammunition on ANY gun whatsoever unless it's a Semi-auto gun, the Vertical Recoil increase is too punishing for anything but Semi-Auto's or possibly Burst fire. And the best barrel attatchment is the Flash Suppressor for all ranges, and the Compensator for high vertical recoil, long range guns like the AC-X11 or the Razor GD-23.
  8. Caydn

Wrong the GD-7F can kill fine at medium range , and I would rather use it then the ac-x11 or razor which are both crap at close range , engineers need a good close to medium weapon as we get jumped alot while repairing **** and the GD-7F is it.

And for godsakes do not use the Gauss Compact S that thing is junk and only good for spamming smoke when the spawn is camped and you need cover for a group to rush outside.
    • Up x 1
  9. Skiptrace

GD-7F has severe damage degridation past about 8m... So, no it's much harder to kill past 8m. Razor is competent at close range. If you want something that can do it all, Merc or Bandit.

Compact S is an amazing gun, sure it has lower RPM than the default Merc, but it's versatility more than makes up for that slight shortcoming. It has access to both SPA, and HVA, and a wide variety of Underbarrel attachments. the smoke launcher is great for Point Defence, as you can launch a smoke grenade, and everyone on the point has IR/NV scopes, and you massacre anyone who tries to come in because IR/NV is under-used by the general populace. It also has a 3 round burst, making it great for longer ranges, pop the trigger into their torso, first shot lands middle torso, second shot hits upper torso, final shot hits neck/head = dead target.
    • Up x 1
  10. Psykmoe

Yeah the Gauss Compact S is a pretty reasonable gun. A bit overshadowed as a gun by other options but the 3x167 burst is very rare (only the Flare also has 3x167 burst mode), feels nice I personally like the smoke launcher.

It can really take the vigor out of a MAX crash - at least those impromptu ones organized in prox chat. Many MAXes storm forward with diminished enthusiasm if they can't see, while the enthusiasm of the defenders is bolstered by feeling really tacticool about the whole thing.

If I'm not smokin' I usually just run grip and just use it as a gun.

If I really expect close range trouble, I prefer the Cyclone or Bandit, as they both have superior hipfire to the GD-7F and both also offer 0.75 ADS speed for those short- to midrange ADS moments.

But frankly, more often then not, my Mercenary is moderately competent in any situation.
  11. Caydn

Dude accorfding to your stats you have never used the GD-7f outside of the VR room , I have Auraxiumed the Gd-7f , bandit and ac-x11 and I have all the other carbines , geez the razor is only good at close if they already wounded or you shooting them in the back you got 214 kills on the compact S thats your most used weapon its junk one of the worst NC carbines nobody I knows uses NV scopes as one you leave a smoked room they useless
  12. Caydn

Why would you hipfire ?

Blitz , piston or gd-7f all better then cyclone or bandit at close range
  13. Psykmoe

Because if you're hipfiring you strafe faster and take less return fire. The SMGs and the Bandit are the best weapons for hipfire available to the NC. Mobility is life. If you expect close range trouble, these are all useful.

Additionally, they all have 0.75 ADS speed. If you strafe faster, you take less return fire.

I am glad you have found a weapon you enjoy a great deal, but since the original poster asked for gun advice, I would do them (and other readers clicking on this thread because they have NC carbine questions) a disservice if I were to simply bang the drum for one particular gun.

I assume that the original poster, and subsequent readers (I assume the OP has made their choice in the intervening 6 months) is looking to make an informed decision, which is why I am pointing out various mechanical facts about guns instead of simply telling them over and over only to consider one gun.

I don't believe there's any real bad NC carbines. But, full disclosure, I do not own the GD-7F so I don't know if it's good or you're just trying to trick me.

Let's just start from the beginning I guess. From cheapest to most expensive.

Mercenary: Free!
    This is actually a very solid multi-purpose gun. It's recoil pattern is friendly enough for some mid-range ADS work even without a grip, 600rpm/167dmg is a solid damage profile, with a standard laser the hipfire is pretty good too. Merc with laser is never the worst choice you could have made for your situation! First shot recoil in ADS perhaps not ideal but still lower than a slew of other 167dmg guns.

Gauss Compact Burst, 100 certs:
    This is a very specialized gun locked into a 2x167 damage burst. I wouldn't recommend it for beginners, but the shot grouping is horizontally tight. I don't feel this offers much extra range due to every second shot getting the first shot recoil, but its more accurate in ADS than other 167dmg guns - if you're not strafing constantly while ADSing with this, you're wasting the gun's upside. It doesn't need a grip, with a laser and enough clicking it's good in hipfire too. Not my style.

AC-X11, 250 certs:
    Now this gun is just NC as all hell! Let's get the downsides out of the way first. 24 rounds per mag makes misses unfortunate. Your damage per mag is quite solid but every miss costs you more. Not recommended if you tend to panic-spray. Search your soul. Carbines lose 2 tiers of damage (3 for certain bullet hoses like GD-7F and one of the VS equivalents) and losing the top tiers of damage hurts worse. A Mercenary will lose 42 damage per bullet at range, the AC loses 55 damage per bullet. If you move in ADS the AC-X11 is somewhat less precise than other carbines. Its velocity is poor if you don't use HVA. But there's upsides! 500rpm/200dmg is actually a very good damage output compared to other precision carbines. At very long ranges they'll catch up because their bullets lose less damage, but in mid range the AC-X11 is excellent. Many carbines have worse recoil than assault rifles, this is not true for the AC-X11, its recoil is on par with the Reaper and much lower than the SAW. If you're a fair hand at close-range ADS fighting the 200 damage bullets are just brutal. Most other precision carbines have poor damage up close, the AC-X11 doesn't have this problem. Very controllable gun in general, since the low rate of fire/high damage design makes recoil compensation trivial. Not bad at all for a 250 cert gun.

Razor, 250 certs:
    Another precise carbine. Among 167dmg carbines, the Razor has very low recoil and only moderate first shot recoil. It handles very smooth. While it doesn't have the raw punch of the AC-X11, the Razor retains more precision when you strafe in ADS, has much better velocity, and a downright absurd short reload of only 1.66 seconds! This gun is extremely comfortable to use, but is less viable in close range unless you're skilled at short-range ADS head-popping. If that's your style, the Razor is your gun. The rate of fire is the only thing the Razor isn't awesome at, frankly. Funny enough, the Razor's recoil per bullet is closer to that of the 143dmg GD-7F than to other 167dmg carbines, while firing 300 rpm slower. As you can imagine, it'll feel totally trivial to control and keep on target.

Gauss Compact S, 500 certs:
    The days of drop podding onto an antenna mast as engineer and going on insane UBGL killstreaks may be over, but the Compact S is still solid. The Merc beats the gun part in versatility and the Razor does long range better, but the Compact S is one of those generic guns that at least won't get in your way. Its per shot recoil is pretty high, but its first shot recoil modifier is low, making shooting it feel consistent - not trivial, but easy to adjust to, which is in itself useful. UBGL still kills on impact but resupplies slow. Smoke has its uses. Never used the shotgun part but it does kill in one hit up close like a pump action. 3x167dmg burst mode is fairly unique. I wouldn't buy this if you aren't interested in the underbarrel options, but hey, it's a decent enough weapon without any real crippling flaws. Not like the Trac-5 S and its crazy rattle.

NS-11C, 1000 certs:
    If you buy this with SC it goes on all characters of every faction. It's an extremely controllable gun with low recoil compared to other 143dmg carbines. It gets the excellent 0.75 ADS speed, looks nice, sounds good. Its velocity is poor but HVA is available and with the low base recoil the HVA downside is barely noticeable. VERY smooth to operate, but demands quite a bit of precision from the player to make the most of. Recoil has a left bias which is unusual, most empire specific guns either recoil right or stay fairly centered. Or rattle all over the damn place. Probably not worth 1000 certs for lower BR players with important crap to buy.

Bandit, 1000 certs:
    The newest carbine. It shares the TR Jaguar's trait of having the best hipfire of anything that's not an SMG. Unlike the Jaguar, which loses only 2 damage tiers despite being a short range gun, the Bandit loses the 3 tiers of other bullethose carbines. 0.75 ADS speed. 625rpm/167dmg is damaging, but not uncontrollable, you will waste fewer bullets going into corpses if you let go of the trigger a split-second too late. Losing 3 damage tiers hurts but it is still moderately useable in mid-range ADS if it cannot be smartly avoided. Its short reload is rather long for the magazine size but not as bad as the GD-7f's reload, while having more damage per mag. Still, be aware that you will spend almost as much time reloading as actually shooting in high intensity fights. This gun is competently designed and fun to use but not enough of an improvement over the Mercenary with laser to be worth 1000 certs for the player on a budget. And that reload time does feel rather annoying compared to other carbines.

GD-7F, 1000 certs:
    Hands down the most immediately damaging carbine available to the NC, but it's damage per mag/reload speed ratio is garbage. Its short reload is the worst of any NC carbine (worse than the Bandit!) and so is its damage per mag. Loses the usual 3 tiers of damage because it counts as CQC bullet hose. Uncommonly reasonable velocity for a close range carbine at 500m/s. Unless you're fooling yourself about your reaction time, you're probably also going to be plowing a couple extra bullets into every one of your kills before you notice they're dead because it fires 14 shots per second. Yes, if you do the math, this gun literally spends more time reloading than shooting (a hair over 2 seconds worth of bang in the can, 2.7 second short reload, 3 seconds long). No 0.75 ADS speed. This thing will kill a guy (or perhaps even two) quicker than any other automatic weapon but comes with zero quality of life/useability features. Your call if that's worth the price tag. Useful for situations where you expect ample reloading opportunities (babysitting a Sunderer and the enemy only sends C4 faeries in ones and twos, etc).

And remember, time to kill in this game is so short that it's more important to use a gun that you like using and feels comfortable in your hands in 90% of combat scenarios anyway, baring some totally incompetent designs like battle rifles (less accurate on the first shot than a Bandit, lol), And hey, if a battle rifle works for you, more power to ya, as well.

Always remember. The most important part of any game is the recreational effect on the human psyche. Take a gun that feels right, and learn how to best use it in any given scenario.

Have fun!
    • Up x 1
  14. Skiptrace

99% of my time in game is with a coordinated squad with my outfit, so when we run Point Defence, we ALL run IR/NV scopes so that engineers can smoke the room up, while everyone can still see. And also IR/NV scopes are great for when Night comes around on any continent, so no matter what gun you use, you should if possible have the avalability of having the Scope on the gun to swap to for Nighttime.
  15. Caydn

I have over 10k kills with the GD=7f not trying to trick anyone and yes some carbines are crap, just sick of reading about people recommending guns that are crap , the NC need all the help it can get especially on Briggs :p
  16. prodo123

GD-7F or the Bandit is the general consensus.

But I like to be lulzy and go Gauss Compact S. Infinite grenades, smoke like Snoop Dogg and a shotgun add-on in one package?:eek:
  17. Hyron

Another Question here:

I'm planing to purchase the Warden for my Engi.
    I read some posts were a 3.4x scope ist suggested for the rifle.
    My Question is which scope is that and why should that be a good choice?

Thanks for any replys
  18. Pfundi

Well Im going to say something stupid now.
    Pick the weapon you want. The one that looks best, or that sounds best. Try them all if you want to (I need to try all weapons, but Im not able to get Auraxiums, because Im already at the next weapon by then)
    Same for scopes. You like 4x scopes on your SMG? Why the hell not? Or just use the iron sights. However I suggest that you use the same scope on all weapons, gives you a better feeling for distances and target aquisition.
  19. MasterDemoman

No one seems to realize that this thread was from a year ago.
    • Up x 1
  20. Ximaster

I play support role,with Archer as primary and Blackhand as secondary,tank mines and spitfire turret. Support God ftw.