Where is the AMD support?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by moooosa, Apr 26, 2013.

1. moooosa

I'm running an AMD 7950 and an Intel i7 2600K overclocked to 4.5Ghz. In big fights I get around 30-40 frames per second ON THE LOWEST POSSIBLE SETTINGS. More frames drop every time I rotate the view, and certainly when I get up in someones face when guns are blazing. High settings only puts me back maybe 5 less frames if that. No significant difference.

Outside of big battles with little going on I get over 60 fps often, but it remains very uneven and there's bad screen tearing 100% of the time. It's pretty rough on the eyes.

This is a $300 processor and a $300 video card. If I can't run your game at more than 30 unstable frames per second, you're doing something wrong.

I just got wasted by an infiltrator, after taking who knows how many (way off) shots with my shotgun, spinning around trying to keep track of him, he finally got a bearing on me and easily two-shotted me with a Commissioner. I can't use my shotgun effectively when so many frames are dropping.

For pete's sake, somebody send SOE an AMD card. I don't care what Nvidia is paying you; it's idiotic to develop a game that only runs right on one brand of video card.

Also I have noticed the game looks worse than ever, though I wouldn't care if it actually amounted to any improvement in performance.
  2. Jalek

Last tower fight I was in, with explosion splash clipping through walls on all sides, I hit alt-F, it said 1 and froze completely.
  3. THUGGERNAUT

don't feel too bad. there are plenty of us with NVidia cards and the game still runs like ****. in fact the performance seems to be dropping with every patch.
    • Up x 2
  4. Goden

At least you have an Intel CPU which is saving your bacon.

I have an AMD CPU. This means I average 25fps during medium sized fights regardless of settings.
    • Up x 2
  5. Strottinglemon

I've got a friend with Intel i5 Sandybridge with some last gen AMD Radeon graphics. (One of the medium low end cards)

60 FPS anywhere, around 40 ish in big fights same as me with my Nvidia 560. Dunno what you're whining about, maybe you built your computers wrong.
  6. Goden

It's not exactly a secret that this game is optimized almost exclusively for i5's.

Just because you're not having problems doesn't mean others are not. God I hate that apathetic attitude.
    • Up x 5
  7. Strottinglemon

Sorry, reread the OP, felt stupid, remembered my friend, revised the post. Also you shouldn't hate people for their attitude, it's apathetic and they can't help it.
  8. f0d

my 6950 doesnt run too badly
    i get 60+fps (fps capped at 70) most places and the occasional drop down to 40 or so in a big fight
    not too bad for an old card
  9. EvilPhd

How about some perspective:

I'm running a Phenom II 965BE OC 3.9GHZ
    Dual XFX 4890 1GB GDDR5

Lowest settings I can get over 60fps, but amp station with 2-3 platoons 10-20fps. Sometimes less than 0, and those occasions are getting more frequent.

My graphics card is 3 generations old.
    My CPU is 3 generations old

I am getting similar performance to those running i5's

Now I've seen not too long ago some "physX" particle effects when I hit people in the VR and on the ladders.
    It worked. :D Similar FPS. Then they took it away :( I don't know if it was a ninja experiment, but it was proof of concept that you can do it on an all AMD platform.
  10. Zotamedu

I have a 7870 and a 3770 and I run on very high settings. You need to dig around in the .ini-files. First step is to turn shadows off. They steal about 20 FPS. You can use Ultra settings for everything else but you might not be able to pull off supersampling. Other things that steal a lot of performance is the lighting effects. You can turn them down as well as fog shadow.
  11. Germanius_GER

Good question.
  12. EvaJones

Game is playable most of the time on my 6870 with 6core 3.3ghz cpu, but frames drop pretty quick in large battles. And god forbid I decide to fly my mosquito over Twarich or Zurvan, you can kiss your framerate goodbye there. Can't wait for the next warpgate rotation so I don't have to deal with the poorly optimized canyons of south eastern Indar as much.
  13. FoxD3v1lsW1ld

Well, i do at least hope that they won't improve performance again. Started at med-high settings, now i am down to low settings; 2 more performance updates and i cant run the game anymore...
  14. Captain Kid

I have a Phenom II x4 965 BE as well and I never run lower then 15 fps. Normally it's around 25 FPS in bigger fights.
    I havee everything on max (nothing changed in ini files though) except shadows, lighting, effects ,etc.)
  15. Sen7ryGun84

I'm in pretty much the same boat. AMD Phenom II x4 965 OC'd to 3.8ghz, 6870 1gb OC'd to 805mhz and 1125mhz (gpu and memory clocks) and get 70 to 90fps in situations where this isn't a huge amount of action going on. As soon as it becomes full blown platoon vs platoon action where there are around 100 players in close proximity to each other though it rapidly drops down to 25-30fps, sometimes lower depending on the amount of gunfire happening.

In every circumstance the bottleneck is occurring at the CPU. My GPU is fine, and on nearly every other game it will run it at stupid high settings with no problems whatsoever at 60-70fps. This games issues with FPS are all stemming back to horrible optimization or coding or whatever, but none of the issues are on the GPU side of things when it comes to processing the visuals.

As was mentioned above, I'm running a system that is about 3 years old now and am getting around the same performance (give or take 10fps at the warpgate on high settings) as brand new off the shelf badass rigs running 4.5+ghz processors and 4gb DDR5 video cards.
  16. Tnsr

SOE did what you could expect from them.
    They did performance updates, they never said in which direction they would work.
    PS2 right now for me is an online shooter with a bad netcode/hit detection and bad optimizations. The both core elements that must work for an online shooter ****** up. And SOE doesn't give a damn. Why should they as long as people still pay them money.
  17. Goden

I find it funny that SOE has these dreams of getting Planetside2 into MLG.

Lolololol.

No competitive organization is going to take this game seriously if it cannot run stable and at high framerates.
  18. Tommyp2006

if you think AMD GPU optimization is bad, that's nothing compared to AMD CPU
    • Up x 2
  19. KariH

I run my computer with highest setings except shadows. My computer is ancient P7 with SSD and old graphigc card which sucks about 20 % of todays high end graphics card and everything is running fine. Most problems came from conections/slow internet.

Before update there are some slow moments but not anymore.

I have thought to upgrade but pathetic 15-20 % is not worth of 2000$
  20. Goden

Rockin' 25fps with my Phenom II 965BE oc'd to 4ghz