When people complain about population, they're probably not talking about world population.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Angry Scientist, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Takoita

Ain't explosion graphic toggleable in the game options already?
  2. LordMondando

I'll say it again, XP bonus is worthless, if you not going to be able to get a shot off before several dozen people are shooting at you from nearly every direction.

Thats the issue.
    • Up x 2
  3. csp0811

Economic incentives cause people to zerg; zerging allows you to easily take bases that were difficult with only 1 or 2 squads, and have a guaranteed, though low, amount of xp and kills to gain.

Rational players decide this is worth it most of the time, as to go alone usually means to get zerged yourself.

If we make it worth most people's time to gravitate toward severely underpopulated battles, then I would think that the rational response would be for players do such that.

I recommend giving varied and large bonuses for actions done in lopsided battles.
    examples:
    1. Killing people while they are on the capture point net you 500 xp.
    2. The "base defense" bonus you get for killing someone while you are on the cap itself also nets you 500 exp.
    3. Vehicle kills double in XP value when underpopulated severely.
    4. Sunderer kills count for triple.
    5. Infantry resources are given for exp in underpopulated areas, to allow for more explosives and maxes to kill vehilcles with.
    6. Fighting in a region with the "Defend this territory" marker on it increases xp gains by 25%.
    7. Killing a max rewards double xp, and a max kill assist should be instituted.

We don't have to adopt all of these measures; these are just examples of incentives to fight in battles that are SEVERELY LOPSIDED (25% vs 75%, 40/60, etc.)
  4. Phrygen

the point is replacing the scoreboard with the map and improving the active graphics on the map.
  5. MarlboroMan-E

It's not like the scoreboard works all that well anyway.
  6. Angry Scientist

Another viable way to destroy population imbalances is to make defenders have more options on defense. Basically, allowing them full access to the base while restricting the attackers to whatever spawn points they can bring.

The teleports in some bases, like many in Esamir, is a good thing and example, but it doesn't go quite far enough. Giving defenders full access means that they can respond to threats and fronts quicker then attackers can. That is the advantage defenders are meant to have. They have direct routes, attackers must go around.

This gives a defender more weight, giving them more advantage in outpopulated scenarios. Attackers cannot simply lock down one spawn, or one spawn and a tunnel/teleport exit. Instead, they must constantly push to ensure the objective does not get taken back. This would mesh well with the swift capture mechanics. As bases can flip quite fast, the attackers have only to hold for a few minutes. Perhaps some further tweaking could be done in that a point must remain in defender hands for a set amount of time before time is subtracted from the capture, so as it simply does not produce a back and forth.

Attackers would have the advantage of direction of attack and the point working in their favor. The defenders have the advantage of owning the turf they're fighting on and having more options on how which to use that turf.

On a more larger scale, making bases stay in the hands of an empire would also assist. Hopefully that would counter the need for attackers to have larger numbers to successfully take a base. A base, once taken, remains in their hands longer by default. This makes actually taking the base more worthwhile. Giving certain bases small, yet unique advantages might be good, as well as giving empires a reason to take them. Vanu Archives might, for instance, increase the potency of Vanu weapons. The vanu would want that territory while other empires would wish to deny them it. Other areas could increase NC armor/shield strength and TR fire speed and recoil reduction, creating an asymetrical system. Vanu weapons stronger, NC take more, TR fire more dakka, ideally making it so as each empire having that advantage meeting would balance out. As warpgates rotate, then simply change the territory that grants an empire advantage. Vanu archives gives the NC their armor when they're in the SW warpgate, for instance.

This would also go towards the oft cried 'meta game meta game meta game!'. While every base having importance is somewhat overwhelming and honestly a bad idea, perhaps large outposts could be the ones that grant it. Small outposts are the grease for the wheels, large outposts give some potatoes, and facilities are the meat in the stew. Together, it makes a delicious meal.
  7. maxx

I've put on other threads that they have the systems to do this already, once one other population reaches past some number enable friendly fire for the other Empire, if you shoot them is like shooting your own team. You get bigger fights ,more balanced battles and it wouldn't seem like it would take that much more work.
  8. krayons

Along the alliance idea an easy way to drive it would be large XP bonus for killing the enemy with the largets pop. Something to want the two small sides to attack the one with the biggest POP.

XP bonus would be a start but more is need for people to want to fight against 3 to 1 odds. You can do things to help the underdog like dmg bonus, dmg taken reduced, faster respawn than the enemy.
  9. Jachim

Mission-related EXP/resource boosts? ie: 'Defend this position' is asked by commanders, perhaps by vote, the system detects that there is a large advantage for the enemy ie 48+ vs 24-48 or 12-24 or something. Since it detects that, it gives a 'boost zone' that you must defend in, that gives a larger defenders bonus, or some such.

Might be a neat suggestion. Having a defensible position against larger numbers helps too.

Other suggestions would be 'pressure' icons.

Just the sheer, visual icon of say, 'arrows' pointing down a lattice link showing, visually, the pressure and direction a heavy push is going to go. Seeing as it's predictable due to lattice links, it's easy to visualize. That alone may give more visual pressure on those looking at the map, that it may convince more squads to go defend or whittle down the enemy zergs. :)

Other suggestions in no particular order and maybe only slightly related:
    • "hardening" defensive turret positions under heavy threat. Perhaps attached to the resource system, something a commander on site can activate, allowing them to take, say, 2x damage before being destroyed
    • adding a "base lockdown" feature that reduces the entrances to a base by moving or shielding spots, so if a very, very large zerg is assaulting, the base is even harder to assault for them.. this is a stick, rather than a carrot, but may help whiddle down those really big zergs and encourage normally futile defenses and bolster the faction opposing those zergs
    • Once orbital strikes are inisitalized, you'll see zerg clusters dying more often, perhaps allowing orbital strikes more often for defenders with some algorythm..
    • The vaunted 'mission' system could really do well to help this situation out. If a solo-player logs in and is suddenly informed 'We're under attack! Defend this position' as some sort of global quest, with a reward for doing so EVEN IF THEY LOSE, it may encourage more solo-player defenders to those positions.
    • Most importantly, since this should be player driven, all people with the certs to do so and in squad leading positions should be able to pop down a 'defend this hex' right click on the map. If enough people do that, it'll generate the quest automatically for everyone, and it'll be set on the main screen (say a quest objectives side bar or something) and a subtle marker will show the location of the defend objective quest.

You mujst make the exp bonus lucrative enough to encourage people to actually take park. Think alert-style exp here.
  10. DuckSauce

Substantial population XP bonuses by hex and a UI design to make them obvious to players.

Ability to redeploy to any hex where your empire is outpopped and there is a fight. Maybe only defensive fights, but anything is better than 70/30 or 80/20 nonsense. It's really frustrating trying to get a good fight in only to see your zerg pushing up one uncontested link and the enemy zergs doing the same.
    • Up x 1
  11. Jachim

12. Hosp

- Spawn rooms are too safe and grant easy, albeit low, XP with little risk. (ie Risk/Reward balance is outta whack).

- XP rewards alone are not enough to goto a losing battle. If you can get 1000xp/min at a raging even battle but only 500xp/min even after bonuses at a losing one...what's the point?

- What's the point of holding a biolab? an Amp Station. We only need 1 tech-plant ever, and even then, #'s can counter that benefit. (Non XP incentives are nearly irrelevant)

- Redeploy screen is still illogical. I can't goto a base 500m away that needs help because it's not on the lattice, but a base 1000m away on the lattice that is quiet is not an issue to spawn at...whiskey-tango-foxtrot.

- Rock-Paper-Scissors-Zerg. Killed off all their air? Now they all bring tanks. Killed off all their tanks? Now they bring light vehicles. Killed their light vehicles? Now they zerg a few minutes. Repeat. The XP being had at this battle is worth far more than any current incentive to redeploy...and it happens often.
    • Up x 1
  13. Godsmangamer

This is a topic I've been looking into for the reasons stated by the OP. Some ideas from the community would be appreciated!

Specifically, what would motivate you and your squad/friends/outfit to leave an overly advantageous situation, go to a disadvantageous situation, and avoid piling onto an already advantageous situation?

Prefer carrots over sticks.

I have a few ideas and I will steal some from the form as well.

I think one of the largest reasons that there is camping and sitting around waiting is that you don't get the massive xp from base capture and if you have fought for that capture you want the points. So a scale of time spent fighting in the territory granting xp.
    The ONLY good thing that giving out certs at the end of the cap is that it gives the defenders breathing space to set up for the next hit.
    the above would help me leave

camping as in a very disadvantageous situation

how to fix it. you can't completely fix the problem as long as permanent spawn rooms exist.
    fixing it put in the gen so the attackers can take it down and move on or add a timer so you diminish the amount of camping.

lessening the problems the spawn room creates
    1 when trapped in a spawn room or nearly trapped in a spawn room put out a EMERGENCY BEACAN on the map on where this is occurring so people are discouraged from spawning into it. This would also open up the next back spawn room for access to reinforcing players enabling them to preform a counter attack with vehicles much quicker. also this should halt all hot drops on the location because dropping is only going to get you killed.

2 to help people leave and be able to defend them selves. Make the shields can't shoot out can't shoot in then make a air attack proof way for people to get to a advantageous firing position.
    I am being vauge because this is base design and building a base is a balancing act because creating a anti camping base is a balance between anti camping and making attacking worth while when the forces are more equal.
    thank you for all your work and for asking for ideas regarding this problem
  14. MrGhosty

I have noticed this the regular alerts stopped coming, most of the VS pop was on Indar when we already had the lowest server pop. They were fighting in a pointless battle while the NC zipped up Esamir while keeping Amerish locked down. Perhaps a new alert type could be created that happened regularly to funnel players to continents that need it. If say, the 45% of the VS pop was on Esamir, an alert indicator would be triggered offering bonus XP for players who warp to Esamir to help the fight. Once this bonus xp alert triggers it would last for the normal duration of an alert and at that time the system could re-evaluate where the pops were and then trigger another elsewhere. The constant alerts were nice because it meant concentrated battles and gave a nice change of pace rather than constantly playing on one continent. I know there will need to be some balances put in, but that might be one solution.

We need some means of directing battle traffic to limit the kind of fights I was having on Esamir last night, we were an effective platoon taking positions and choosing fights appropriate to our size, but EVERY TIME we were about to take a position, we would be suddenly outnumbered three to one without pulling a significant number of forces from other battles so we couldn't even effectively draw enemy fire. I don't want easy mode fights, I avoid zergs like the plague because it is just a bunch of standing around but when it doesn't matter how good your tactics are or your skill base if the enemy is at your level or higher AND have a pop advantage. If there were a reason to stick out battles (i.e. XP bonuses, perks, etc) That might at least help the sting. It could go the other way as well by encouraging units who have pop advantage on hexes to redeploy their troops to other areas as the xp wouldn't be worth as much maybe?

I love supporting my chosen faction, it gives me pride to win and lose alongside my outfit. At the end of the day, this is still a game and I'm not going to stay on a faction that is getting creamed because no one can tear themselves away from the crown, or octagon, or whatever the new "hot zone" is to help their empire where they're actually needed. I can always just log into a different account and still enjoy myself, but it doesn't mean as much to me because then it's just another shooter. What keeps me coming back to PS2 is the sense of community and connection to my faction, the battles aren't just multiplayer matches they are actual battles and they feel like they matter.
  15. Kreantris

I just got off of Esimar with my Vanu main character. It was 18% Vanu and 48% TR. The exp bonus is nice, but it is just not enough. People were getting frustrated because we were getting completely overrun and it was hard to live long enough to even gain many certs. Severely underpopulated factions need better, dramatic bonuses such extra health and resources.

Another idea is a continent wide mitigation bonus: "All damage dealt to you or your vehicle is reduced by X%" based on current populations.
  16. ent|ty

I thought the Lettuce eaters claimed all this would be solved.
  17. SpaceKing

Alright, what if there was a 'reinforcements system'? It'd be like a mini-alert.

Squad leaders who place global defense or attack markers, or the server, can determine if a place needs help.
    The server then finds places where a faction has far more people than they need there, randomly selects as many players as it thinks it needs without leaving the area under-populated, and displays a little message that offers the player a 25% EXP boost if he presses the HOME key to instantly redeploy and drop in there. For the 10 minutes or so, Instant Action button on the map will be replaced with the 'reenforcement button' for that player, which will drop players into the required area with the XP bonus.

This consumes the player's instant action/squad deploy action and starts the timer.
  18. mblades

Alliances
    If there were a mechanism that allows two factions to work together for short periods of time in specific areas to take on the highly overpopulated faction it might make interesting game play. There are examples from history to base this on.”
    I think the alliance idea is good like if a faction gets 45% or higher and stays at that world pop for 15 minutes then a Unholy Alliance alert begins until the number is below 40%. Love to have this as a alert type. Might make more people log on the underpop faction also the XP bonus would be 50% XP bonus for the allied factions. while the over populated faction just gets told prepare for Unholy Alliance

19. mblades

Alliances
    If there were a mechanism that allows two factions to work together for short periods of time in specific areas to take on the highly overpopulated faction it might make interesting game play. There are examples from history to base this on.”
    I think the alliance idea is good like if a faction gets 45% or higher and stays at that world pop for 15 minutes then a Unholy Alliance alert begins until the number is below 40%. Love to have this as a alert type. Might make more people log on the underpop faction also the XP bonus would be 50% XP bonus for the allied factions. while the over populated faction just gets told prepare for Unholy Alliance

20. ScrapyardBob

I've been thinking about this a bit more:

1) The defenders definitely need bigger incentives. Right now, the bonus XP for defending is something like a flat 15%?

That needs to change based on the number of attackers vs defenders. Minimum of 15% like it is now, but if there are more then 12 (24?) people within the hex (from all sides), then that XP bonus should be changed with a multiplier. If you are outnumbered 2:1, the defender bonus should be 2x15%. Outnumbered 4:1? Now it's a 60% bonus. Cap it out at 10:1 (150% bonus).

2) Implement a share system, then hand out bonus XP when the capture bar to 100%. Reduce/Remove the existing flat XP amount for capturing a base.

Basically, every bit of XP earned by your side (flipping objectives, destroying generators, hacking turrets, killing enemies, reviving teammates) should be tossed into a bonus bucket to be shared among all shareholders when the capture bar hits 100% (either for the defenders or attackers).

Everyone inside the hex (excluding passengers, people inside of spawn rooms) earns 1 share every 10 seconds while the capture point is under contention. This allows them to get paid, even if they leave the hex. This would also fix the issue where you can show up at the last second on a base cap and earn 100% of the capture XP.

When the capture bar hits 100%. The winning side gets a payout (divide total bonus bucket contents by # of shares, each player gets a payout based on # of shares owned). Losing side forfeits the XP points in their bucket. All sides get their shares reset to zero.

This system would encourage attackers to get on the point early. Attackers don't start filling their bonus bucket until that bar starts ticking. Attackers would be encouraged to hold the point, because if they lose the point and the bar goes back to 100% ownership by the defenders, the attackers lose all of their bonus XP and shares and have to start from scratch again at filling the bonus pool.