[Suggestion] When people are in tanks in the area.. should be their own communication channel.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by AntDX316, Apr 17, 2023.

1. AntDX316

When people are in tanks in the area.. should be their own communication channel.

When people are in aircraft in the area.. should be on their own communication channel.

This way people can relay enemy tanks and such to those assets.
    • Up x 5
  2. ganthercage

I agree ! that's gonna be better
    • Up x 1
  3. Demigan

For once, solid idea.

Possibility to expand it with Q-spots that get a different outlook and reach if they are done by aircraft or tanks.

Possibility to expand it more with a Q-spot radial menu. If an infantryman can select “airstrike” from the radial menu after spotting a target and aircraft get a waypoint-like spot on it to guide them in even before the target is rendered, you get a whole lot more communication. Let players set the time, distance and maximum simultaneous special spots that can be on-screen for the best results. Squad/platoon/outfit spots have precedent over people out of those organization structures (but are not NOT excluded).
    • Up x 1
  4. AntDX316

yea but it can clutter the UI and make it worse

It would be good for platoon or squad though.
  5. Demigan

You can limit the amount of messages as mentioned to make sure you never feel cluttered. The preferences for what is shown and what remains hidden if too many messages are around can be tailored as well. An aircraft will see airstrike requests first and at greater (slider set) distances and unrelated requests (say a tank attack request) less. Priority is given to closer requests with an option to make it the closest request in line with your crosshair. And again priority can be given to people in your friends list, outfit, squad and platoon.

Limiting it to just platoon and squad is horrible. It deliberately limits the system and discourages teamplay with anyone not in your squad/platoon. The ability for anyone to guide any relevant player to a target is vital. Imagine a player spotting a tank, and you can ask for an infantry attack. All infantry with AV capabilities would now be notified and see a waypoint-like marker through terrain, so they have a better idea that something is there and can attack it even if its currently not in LOS.
    • Up x 1
  6. AntDX316

oh yeah, only Squad Leaders of 3 or more can be allowed to call in strikes or the limit as to how many people are in their squad are what gets shown to the pilot/drivers/gunners.

People can set the limit from say 1 to 12 to determine credibility and limit overflow. It should be possible to set expiration too as to how long the request remains after being marked.
  7. AntDX316

Check this out:
    https://twitter.com/KennethCassel/status/1650958033034309633

It would be cool if prompt like that can occur from /command chat, people which ASP3 BR100 or even just ASP2 BR100+ or even ASP1 can give some orders to relay to the rest of the people who opt-in for it or it should be on by default and people can disable it. It would add a new level of coordination that sometimes is lacking in the game.

Say a COA was selected, people in the Platoon/Squad can see their own orders. Even Platooons can see their orders to approve for the rest of their people. Right now, there is nothing like this. It would add a new level of tactical group play. With the way the UI AR is setup in the game engine, it should be easy for the developers to do.

I think having directives to unlock for that to be achieved don't have to happen as people can deny the requests and nothing shows up.

Maybe even having playerbases (people who own the artillery) can get requests too. The game would be incredible and new people wouldn't feel as lost.

I think more /command coordination has to happen like that where people can see where each outfit/platoon is going, where each Squad is at. A way to coordinate it all than just trying to talk on /command would elevate the game. Hopefully something AI prompting related can make the game go viral and have people use Planetside 2 as a testing zone for real-life.

Maybe use the tertiary button mapping for something now?

First MMOFPS game ever to implement AI prompting. Do it before everybody else.
    • Up x 1
  8. Demigan

Why do you think this is a good idea? It severely limits the system and its capabilities. Due to the terrible way squads and platoons are set up most of the time they are single-unit structures. Everyone infantry, everyone tanks, everyone aircraft. Calling in an airstrike from anyone inside your squad/platoon would be a rare occasion when it actually succeeds. On the other hand if you can reach anyone and anyone can do this its effective. If anyone can notify an aircraft, tank or infantry of a valuable target for them to attack, you get a system where players can actually communicate cross-squad/platoon effectively rather than be segregated.

You determine credibility based on how many players are in a squad? What the hell?
  9. Demigan

What would be the point of gating this behind an experience wall? You prevent players from learning and interacting with this until they are already playing for a long time. This doesn’t suddenly make them super capable of leading and it even causes confusion for players who aren’t there yet and want to use it.

Coordination isn’t just “veteran can tell other players what to do and they should just listen”. Coordination is about any player being able to communicate what is happening and what needs to be done, even if its just a newby who just started.

Again, what point would there be in limiting this to JUST squad and platoon gameplay?
    What point is there in letting a platoon commander judge if some commands are visible to his entire platoon, if the point of the communication is to let someone who is highly likely not in your squad or platoon know where a particular target is? Spots are already on a pretty short timer, by the time a leader judges to show it to his platoon there’s barely any time for it to register and be responded too.

The same question everywhere else: what is the point of gating this. Why only between squads, or platoons, or outfits. Why can’t anyone just communicate what they see and need attacked in a specific way when they need to? Why let someone else jump through hoops judging which requests can be seen or not even though they are likely not aware of the exact situation and why the player actually made the request in the first place? Or they might be busy fighting and never have the chance of actually granting permission for others to see the request before it expires. It just doesn’t make sense to gate this behind experience walls or arbitrary leadership positions, there is no justification or point to it.
  10. DutifulSoul

Pretty cool idea. I could appreciate additional command tools to allow for more platoon/squad immersion and coordination.
    • Up x 1
  11. AntDX316

I don't think you've played with that many people. Some people have no idea where to go. I don't want random callouts and I don't want other people to get random callouts too.

They should try to see making it available for nearly everyone. Maybe people will use it properly. People hardly even use /sitreps anyway and my outfit ANVILs hardly get used either despite mostly everyone having access. I've revoked access to the people crafting 20 Light ANVILs all the time.
  12. AntDX316

yeah, there should be a simple and an advanced layout with configurations
  13. Demigan

I have player with many people, and I say that you are grossly overreacting.

Experienced people have some of the dumbest players in PS2 as they are entrenched in their idea’s, and there are plenty of veterans who got there by perseverence rather than skill. Or farming, cheese, zerging etc.

If your idea was truly a problem, then we should limit Q-spotting to just the people in your squad/platoon. Anyone outside that does a Q-spot and you don’t get to see it, how about that? Because that’s all I’m asking: a slight meaningful addition to the Q-spot system. A player spots a target, then takes the time to open a radial menu and select a signal that will attract attention from relevant people. You ask for a tank to attack something, tanks will see that for the duration of the spot while infantry would only see it when their crosshair passes the target.

And once more because it doesn’t seem to sink in: you could set the maximum amount of signals visible at a time, which also puts priority over people in your organization (squad/platoon). This could be done several ways, for example people like you who think that anyone not in their squad/platoon or ASP2+ is worthless and incapable of signalling something as simple as “this is a good target for an infantry/vehicle/aircraft strike” you could set the maximum amount visible per organization structure, for example:

(In order or priority, which you can change if you want)
    Maximum visible signals at any time: 4 signals
    Squad you are in: 3 signals
    Platoon: 5 signals
    Non-aligned platoons or squads: 2 signals
    Randoms who you don’t value: 0 signals.

so the squad you are in would have the highest priority and be shown before any other.
    these are example numbers and the point would be that players could set them to any number they want

Now by default it should definitely include randoms because this is a vital part of the ability to start coordinating cross-organization so anyone including randoms can tell others what is happening or needs to be done

Honestly how someone who thinks newbies are worthless can get any mentor rating at all is a mystery. Especially as a mentor you WANT players to be able to indicate their situation, convey their situational awareness so you can see and judge what is happening, discounting if necessary.
  14. DutifulSoul

Good thread OP. What server is your unit on?
  15. AntDX316

Emerald
  16. DutifulSoul

Copy that. Couple of my mains are on that server. Thank you very much.
    • Up x 1
  17. AntDX316

join my Discord : )
  18. DutifulSoul

Roger that. I look forward to doing so. Thanks again.
    • Up x 1
  19. AntDX316

We need people who want to do construction be in their own channel too. It could work great for the next update.

There should be a channel for Armor, Support, Air, Construction that people can easily join in and out of with an easy to use UI that doesn't have to be super sophisticated.

Need to make use of that tertiary button for stuff like that. We need a button for AI suggestions too to make the game less lost for new players and regular players that don't know what to do.