When is a nano repair grenade, ever worth half the price of a harrasser / sunder?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by AuricStarSand, Jan 20, 2022.

1. AuricStarSand

With asp + outfit discount modules on bases. My sunder costs 140 nanites or harasser at 150 nanites.
    Or if you don't have discount or asp, well a Javelin is 150 nanites.

So why is a repair grenade 75 nanites? It repairs only what? 10% or less than vehicle's total hp? Yet costs half of what a vehicle costs? For an emergency with full 750 nanites, is the only reason to use these nades. & Even emergencies they don't repair enough for the cost. 10% hp repaired for 75 nanites. Meh.

I understand why ress nade is 100 nanites, it's very useful. It can revive a ton of people who died on a point. Repairing 10% of a vehicles hp, doesn't even come close, to the effectiveness or a revive grenade. When comparing a 75 nanite nade, to a 100 nanite nade.

As of now, repair nade, for sure, should be either 50 nanites to use (not 75), or else have its regen amplified by another 10% - 15. Meaning a 75 nanite nade, should repair more than 10% hp on a vehicle, more like twice that. If it only repairs 10% of a vehicle's hp, than it should only cost 50 nanites. Also It takes time to step out & throw 1 = delay. Till then, may as well just use AV grenade instead.

Without 750 nanites, the repair grenade is useless to use, used for niche extreme emergencies, that the grenade doesn't heal enough for anyways, usually. Meaning your vehicle dies, while the repair field is live. Obviously it has niche uses, like throwing 1 on my harasser when I ran behind a rock, yet niche examples isn't worth 75 nanites. & Why not just let my harasser die? The nade is worth half the price of a harasser.

If you don't have asp or module discounts, the repair grenade is still worth 1/3rd of your vehicle & it doesn't repair 33% of your vehicles health. Only like 10%. Tho module discounts are easy to get, even for solo outfit'ers.
    • Up x 1
  2. DemodiX

It repairs 50 health per second for 10 seconds, so roughly 500 hp. It's AoE throw and forget tool that stick to vehicles (and maxes too!), it's mandatory for drivers. It gives you a chance to repair faster in fight or throw it on your vehicle and hit the legs. It's already good for it's price.
  3. JibbaJabba

If it were 5 nanites it would still be overpriced next to the free repair tool, yes?

So it's not for that.

It's for something else. Wonder what?
    • Up x 2
  4. Pat22

Exactly
    - it's an AoE
    - It sticks to a mechanical target
    - It frees your hands to do something else
    - You can stack them on top of other rep grenades and other forms of repair.
  5. GreyGun

It's for me always throwing it 10 secs too late at our only sundie.

Combined with dedicated repair engies it's worth every nanite... Ever tried to throw it at a half repaired lib doing a scramble in the middle of a fight? Ahhhh, the naches!
  6. RabidIBM

I'll tell you when: When you're playing with a team of vehicles against a team of vehicles, you're damaged enough that repairing isn't optional but you really need to get back in the fight as soon as possible. Down time matters, and the rep nade cuts it down. Also, if you are stacking discounts then you can afford rep nades. Certainly if you are a gunner then you can afford them.

About half of my engi builds run rep nade. The other half run normal frags for when I'm fighting infantry or protecting a router.
  7. AuricStarSand

- I'm not saying it isn't good. I've used it 400+ times. Just not good enough for its price.

- AV grenade, I only got lately from asp. AV price makes sense (wiki says 50 nanites for AV / forgot to view in game). Revive grenade = 100 nanites = makes sense. It's useful.

- AV grenades also stick.

- " This one time it helped me " , yet maybe it should've helped a tad more? Especially since the harasser doesn't have rumble repairs anymore, nor valks. Either way it'd still be too taxed of a nade. Repair grenade; it's a 50 nanite grenade right now, till buffed. Or only worth as much.

- The AOE? vehicles aren't tiny infantry. The size of the aoe, is the size for infantry, not vehicles. It's the size of like 2 sunders having to hug eachother. How often do any allied vehicles, want to rub next to another allied vehicle? Not often, they independently drive off from the aoe range 96% of the time. If the repair nade aoe range was the size of 8 MBT's, ok, tho it's the size of 2.

- You'd have to say that AV grenade is weaker than, repair grenade. & It's not, in most cases AV grenade (50 nanites) is more buff at finishing off enemy vehicles >, than repair grenade (at 75 nanites) is at keeping your moving / sitting vehicle alive. While revive grenade bringing back potentially 10 dead allies > is worth double what repairing your vehicle for 10% hp is.
  8. Botji

I dont see a problem, if you dont think they are worth the price dont use them?

I dont think killing one or two infantry is worth 50 nanites but I still use normal grenades.
    I dont think killing one tank is worth 150 nanites but I will still use C4.

I could use those nanites for a MAX or vehicle and kill more than that.

Consumables cost nanites because of game balance and it is worth spending resources to keep yourself and others on your faction alive. If you are repairing and considering using a repair nade then its likely there are enemies close by, if you die they go kill something else but if you live they probably go back to spawn while you and others on your faction can go kill something else = worth 75 nanites.
    • Up x 1
  9. AuricStarSand

Ye I don't use them, their half the price of harasser. Tho ye I use to use them 400+ times, till realizing that. Why not just save for another vehicle instead. Still, not using something, isn't a solid solution. Ye other items may has some consumable philosophy of if its worth it or not. Tho is it? It's not like I'm saying every grenade isn't worth it, just this one. 50 nanites is worth 1 kill for regular nade, Infil mines cost 75 for 1 kill. AV grenade scores a kill often. 2 c4 at 150 nanites, may kill a 450 nanite MBT. Reviving 6 allies (more or less) most likely scores 2 kills, from a revived ally. Maybe repairing your vehicles for 15% helps you stay in the fight, it's underwhelming is all. 15% regen isn't worth half the price of a harasser, 40%+ regen is worth half. Or without asp, 15% regen isn't worth 1/3rd the price of a harasser. 30% regen is.
  10. Botji

How can you say those are worth it but a 75 nanite repair grenade that can let you reverse a losing situation and keep your 450 nanite MBT alive is not worth it?

If killing one infantry with 50-75 nanites is worth it then 75 nanites must be worth it to allow you to kill a 300-450 nanite vehicle with your otherwise dead vehicle and then go on to kill 20 more infantry with the same vehicle or whatever else you end up killing with it.
    • Up x 1
  11. AuricStarSand

Ending this thread. I'll say this; or settle that's it's a 60 nanite nade & not a 75.

Maybe 50 is too low. Idk. I was testing 50 frag grenades or plasma / 1 kill grenades. It's tough to weigh / determine if 1 kill is worth 50. Obviously frag 50, have the option to get 2, 3, or 4 kills right? Nasons tunnel for example. When you say 450 MBT. Well with asp & discount, MBT are 220 right now. So repair grenade is 1/3rd the price of the tank. Repair grenades; would have to repair for 33% to be worth using for a MBT. Or repair for 50% to be worth using for a 150 nanite harasser (or maybe even more % for harasser since rumble seats repair is gone now, so add another 10% = 60%).

If you have to double repair, its the only option, minus the throw delay. However stat wise, for vets, with asp. Why? Also discounts are super easy to get, especially if you're main'ing 1 vehicle, to prioritize for the discount. Grenades have the potential for multiple kils. My mines only have potential for multiple kills, if I go on a near suicide run. Without mining near a enemy. AI mines usually only scores 1 kill & 40% of the time it the mine doesn't score 1 kill. For 75.

What if repair grenade was 100 nanites, the price of a revive grenade? I'd say the revive grenade, if used wisely, is twice the worth of a repair grenade used wisely. Thus bringing the repair grenade back down to worth only 50 again. You may bring a example of that 1 time repairing saved your sundy from dying & ye it happens. While also, sundies die all the time, while the repair field is live.

+10% regen
  12. Liewec123

its pretty good for speed running the engineer daily, repair nade and punisher nade giving nice little xp ticks make the mission super fast!

but agreed, outside of that it could be better.
  13. CompletelyDeadCoyote

Now that we have a grenade launcher that shoots repair grenades, that instantly heal 500 hp and then some more for 0 nanites, it's actually a good question - why would anyone want to pay for grenades that repair 500 hp in 10 seconds... Say smoke and frag hand grenades are much more powerfull then the ones in a grenade launcher. But with repair it seems we have it all backwards.
    Honestly, i don't think making repair grenades stronger would hurt anyone. Although it might be my engineer-main's bias speaking, lol.
    • Up x 1