When does a squad need one Light Assault?

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by Neurotoxin, Apr 5, 2013.

1. blzbug

I rarely play HA, but last night I pulled HA to do bit of AA when we were attacking crossroads. I was at C and headed toward the tower once the AA duty was done. I ran down the embankment into the road that separates C from the tower. Little did I know that once you're down in the road, you cant get back up the other side! I felt like such a toad, trying to hop my fat azz up the little berm. Eventually I schlumped my way up the road and into the vbay. I couldn't even soar up to the 2nd level. I just had to run up there like some sort of caveman.

Why does a squad need light assault? Because if you don't have them, you're just a cro magnon with a big glowy stick :)
  2. Kupcake

One thing to consider is the mindset behind many LA players.

Most people have a meathead mentality. Go in and lay down as many bodies as possible before you die. That's why infantry formations are often dominated by HA's and MAX's, many of whom have a primary instinct of simply walking toward where the bullet sounds are coming from. You need them, of course, but they're a mixed bag.

LA is a bit more of a self-selecting set. The class doesn't have much firepower (I guess moreso now with shotguns and SMG's), direct team utility, or survivability. Its only innate asset is advanced mobility, which appeals most to those who prefer to fight with a bit of craft and finesse. So when you let experienced LA players loose, they very often have their own suite of harassment tactics which are very effective.

Honestly, the easiest way to get hammered as a squad is to be a blunt instrument. The makeup you've described sounds good on paper. All the major boxes are checked. It's also the makeup that I most recall taking apart, even when badly outnumbered. You need actors in the field whose primary role is disruption and counter-disruption, to keep the enemy on their toes. Otherwise your enemy is too free to focus on using those same kinds of tactics against you. Unless you simply vastly outclass your opponent (in which case squad makeup is irrelevant anyway), you'll find them trying to flank you, to ambush you, to attack you from unexpected angles or ranges, and eventually, cracks will begin to form.
    • Up x 1
  3. llPendragon

LA sow chaos. It doesn't sound like you like a lot of chaos in your crew, so you might want to skip it.
    Personally, I run my squads much looser. Letting them come up with how to get a job done usually provides much faster, and sometimes spectacular, results. Using a class they're good at or have certed out is much more productive than shoving a square peg in a round hole.
    However, back to why you'd want a LA.
    I've worked with LAs able to keep 10x their number of enemies occupied. Every time the enemy let their guard down, they were there to make them pay dearly. (TripleSevens ftw!)
  4. Stadulator

well first off you're doing it wrong. If you're going to have everyone in the class you want to arrive with, hotdrop or fly unless you're rolling with a column

if you're in a sundy (make it an ams) put everyone except for two (engies) as HA so that any trouble you run into is taken care of.
  5. Evileet

Light Assaults are extremly agile and fast.

Sun Tzu: "Speed is the essence of war. Take advantage of the enemy's unpreparedness; travel by unexpected routes and strike him where he has taken no precautions."
  6. Wolfwood82

How dare you quote Sun Tzu!!! n00b!!!!!! LAWL@thinking a dead warrior poet guru guy knows anything about a game!!!!!

:rolleyes:
  7. Sabreur

I've been in biolab fights where one faction or the other had a couple squads of LA's controlling the rooftops and trees. It's absolute murder - they can make a mess of anything on the ground and quickly duck back and reposition in the face of return fire. There's also quite a few places where walls and rough terrain makes LA much more powerful than a normal class due to their mobility. A group of LA's moving together can make a real mess of things.

LA's are also the best at Sundy hunting. With the changes in mines and the number of Sunderers running mineguard, a fast-moving LA with C4 and an underbarrel grenade launcher is one of your best bets for locating, sneaking up on, and blowing up enemy Sunderers.