When does a squad need one Light Assault?

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by Neurotoxin, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Wolfwood82

Roof top sweeps and maintaining overwatch. LA often spot stuff before anyone else anchored to the ground. We also attack from unexpected directions and angles, like second story windows (from outside them) and stairs leading to rooftops.

I've annihilated entire squads set up the way you have them single handedly because they never had any LA guarding their flanks and rooftops.
  2. Gadamlu

much has been said already,

beacon placement
    anti infantry
    C4 placement
    Mobility
    ect, but one must remember, their Mobility is their greatest asset, and can be used to get reconnasance even better than an infiltrator can, if the LA knows what they are doing...

all in all, its good to always have one LA as well as one Infiltrator if the squad is not ordered to do any Specialized Operations
  3. Kyouki

They are good at what their title says, assaulting. We run in and kill stuff, very well I might add.

Recently a squad was trying to cap a tech plant with about 8 people on point. I threw a grenade, flew over with c4 and dropped in with neighborly fashion to share my fresh baked bullets with the squad. With the A point cleared out the rest of the TR, your medics engies and heavies ran in to see a nearly full squad laying around the cap point.
  4. Eric Smith

As others have said, LA are for flanking and attacking from odd angles. They can get to places others can't, or get to places others can get to but faster - such as getting up on the walls of an Amp Station or the roof or most bases. Another useful tactic is to get behind Maxes or Vehicles and C-4 them.

Another useful tactics is drawing out enemies towards your other forces - an LA can run away better than other classes, so you engage, disengage, then get a couple enemies to follow you right into an ambush. This works particularly well in an encampment fight (where a large number of enemies is holding down a point), because you need to thin the herd before you make your final assault.

For instance, in an Air Tower I took up point on top of the tower, above the spawn exits. While everyone else was fighting their way in from the bottom to reach the cap point I was able to take out two AA Maxes, an Engineer who was trying to repair a turret to shoot on our Sunderer, and a large handful of HA who were trying to rocket the Sunderer.

Yeah, the Lynx may not have the firepower & range combination that LMG's have, but of these kills only two even saw me. The others died without even knowing I was there. In the end I ran out of ammo and had to revert to my pistol, at which point I decided to abandon the tower roof, and subsequently died when trying to take up position again after reloading.

This is exactly the kind of place that an LA shines.
  5. Kahlev

As said before, flanking, aerial C4, beaconing, general fighting ability, scouting purposes.

But they can also C4 defensively to protect areas with limited entrances, similar to other classes with C4, and also they are one of the best anti-MAX units, with a c4 drop from above, or just flying rings around it with a powerful shotgun of some kind.

They are also probably THE if not one of the most powerful units at clearing out huge clumps of enemies. A large reason for this is one ability that only HA have something similar to, and that is flash grenade. If you look around on youtube and the like you will see tons of videos of LA clearing entire platoons out of areas by flying in behind them, throwing out a flash grenade, dropping a couple C4 on their medics and Maxes, then cleaning up with a shotgun.

Also, there is no better class at clearing off rooftops and hills from suppression teams, whether they be snipers, AA MAX units, AV turret users, etc. If your squad never rolls into a hotzone with snipers in the hills, then you're much luckier than I am, and there is nothing better at clearing those hills and protecting your squad from afar than a LA.

Also, combine smoke grenade launcher and smoke grenades/flash grenades, and if your team has N/S scopes and flash suppressors, and they will be great at leading charges from the front to clear out groups as well.

Finally, they are just plain flat out FAST. Combine Adrenaline pump and jumpjets, and they are great at quick reaction to enemy movements. An enemy squad just cleared out your team at point C? Send a response team of LA over there to take that area back quickly. Incoming sunderer just roll in? Who better to quickly find it from above then C4 and grenade launcher it quickly before it can start spitting out troops than a LA? Their sheer speed and vertical mobility is a unique and powerful attribute that no one else can compete with.

EDIT: Oh, and Eric, we get it, you're proud of that killstreak, but that doesn't mean you have to post it on every single thread you respond to....
  6. biterwylie

Yeh, I have to say the utility of the Heavy Assualt class has rendered the Light Assault class all but irrelevent. Spawn becon placement is about as good as it gets. There will always be the odd time a light assualt shines, but for the other 95% of the time Heavy Assualt wins every time.
  7. Daibar

well.. what do LA do well.... we can clear mountain tops :)

when we don't clear hard to reach areas, we like walking on the beach, discussing tactics on how to best pick up women and C4 placement on vehicles getting too close.

like everyone else have posted in here.

we're jack of all trades, masters of flanking and causing havoc.

it all depends on the imagination of the LA in question.
    the sharper the mind, the more chaos they can cause.

send us ahead, send us to take out vehicles, be it air or ground, if you got a good LA, the air wont be an issue.
    have us scout before you send the main force into an area, we got movement and if played right, a good deal of info for your group if you only ask for it.

i play LA on a regular basis.
    from the BETA planetside page
    from the Planetside-universe page, which i kill most

good luck using your LA, we are a class that's fairly dangerous.
  8. Paulus

Also don't forget the flashbang grenades which are very useful for chucking into a defended room before you rush in and shotgun everyone to death
    • Up x 1
  9. o.Solei.o

Bacon, flanking, overwatch, scouting, etc. Problem is is that LA efficacy is greatly effected by how many levels of JJ they have. :/
  10. Kyouki

Really now? The way I see it heavies are cannon fodder. Guess who that cannon is, Light Assaults. Heavy Assaults ability is to tank. Light Assaults ability is to flank. Heavies do nothing but give suppressive fire better than any other class. I'm more worried about engineers wrecking my team than a heavy.
  11. Herby20

I play light assault all the time, and this is basically how my outfit likes it. We get to a base and it is my job to patrol the roofs and cause as much havoc as possible. That can be C4'ing vehicles, hunting down snipers on high vantage points, dropping/destroying spawn beacons, sneaking behind enemy lines to compromise generators, etc.

LA's are also absolutely amazing on defense for the same reasons on the South Western part of Indar and on Amerish. You would be very surprised at how little time people spend looking in the trees.
  12. SirBurning

HEY! My heavy likes bacon too!!
    [IMG]
  13. HeadshotVictim

I think the biggest plus on the LA side are the grenades.
    I think about getting Grenade Bandolier instead of Adrenaline Pumps and an UBSmoke Launcher.
    Before your Squad moves in throw a Flashnade instantly followed by Conc or EMP and then just rip everything into pieces.
    Needs a bit of communication, but in a 12 man squad it is actually possible.
    It was just once but it worked perfectly with a HA.
    We threw in a Flash and a Conc and the just stormed into a room full of ppl to shotgun them all. Including 2 Maxes. No actual damagae taken since everyon ran around blinded and dazed, unable to aim, see or jsut get a hang of what happened.
    Worked out that nice only once, but i usually use flash grenades.
    Attack Cap Points with them, it's much easier
  14. Infinity24k

15. blzbug

LA are also fantastic for fights in the smaller outposts. MBT or AMS rolls up to threaten your cap. You can send multiple HA lumbering out to face it, or one LA skipping over the top of the building, around the side of the ridge, 2xC4 applied, problem solved.

The main problem with LA in a squad situation is that, by their very nature, they don't stay with the squad. When they get killed, medic can't rez the LA up on the roof or way out on the flank. Squad leads need to make sure they keep their beacon up.
  16. jak

It's mostly killing. Sometimes I take in the sights and spot a few dudes that look like they need spotting, but that's only if I'm resting. For more killing.
  17. Kahlev

Also, the next time you're at a base, and an enemy LA puts a beacon on top of a rooftop you can't target, then stays up there and harasses your forces with nothing you can really do about, you'll feel really silly not bringing a light assault.

Any base with unreachable high areas, Light assaults are invaluable to have, that includes Air Towers, Biolabs, Tech Plants, Amp Stations, where some of the biggest and most common battles take place.

The only other counter to LA in those environments is another LA, or Aircraft. But if the enemy has heavy AA support like Skyguards and Bursters or lock-on squads, your only option is LA, and if you don't have them, you're in for a rough engagement.
  18. Grimtou

Light assaults are really all about flanking.

There are plenty of areas that are meat grinders - corridors, stairs, etc- that effectively negate the power of your numbers in an assault. LA's counter that environment bonus pretty hard, but few squads are coordinated enough to actually take advantage of this.
  19. LameFox

If I were to assign classes for a squad (I dislike managing people, so I won't) I would choose as many as I needed of the other classes, then tell everyone else to play LA. Their mobility makes them a very good general anti-infantry class IMO. Shields and healing are great, but this is not a game where you live a long time under fire. You will however continue to survive (more or less) indefinitely if nobody shoots you, so taking them by surprise goes a long way.
  20. Stargazer86

Once you get used to having a jetpack, it becomes really difficult to play as any other class. Its ability to skirt around chokepoints and flank people from unexpected angles is just awesome. Playing as a class that's limited to staying on the ground actually feels pretty limiting after an extended period as LA.

"What? What do you mean I have to use the STAIRS?"