Whats the point of an open world ?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Merakov, Jul 20, 2014.

1. Merakov

Whats the point of an open world if half of it is inaccessible ?
    Im talking about the continent lockdowns.I realise that the continent lockdowns help solving the problem with ghost caping but still....it feels like im being forced to go to certain places.
    Indar has been locked all day now when it finaly got unlocked an alert locked it again 2 hours later like WTF was that
    Possible solutions:
    1.Add a CD on the lock system (example:Continents cant be locked for 5 hours after being unlocked)
    2.Remove the lock system alltogether and add different reward for conquering a continent
    3.Keep the lockdown but allow combat to continue on the continent (bases will be locked until continent is unlocked) -this way the locked continent can become a deathmatch battlefield
    I like changing continents from time to time but the lockdowns limit my choices and I dont like it at all.
    So again I ask whats the point of an open world if im gonna be restricted anyway
  2. MajiinBuu

What about the boundaries of the continents? They aren't limitless :(
  3. DatVanuMan

What you want is to access one continent from any other continent, also known as interlinked continents. For example: Indar is locked. You are at Esamir, and get a plane. With interlinked continents, you can fly the plane all the way from Esamir to a foothold in Indar. Naval warfare would be imperative if this were the case. It would be epic:D
  4. Pikachu

Available space ∝ player count
  5. ABATTLEDONKEY

During BETA, this was actually suggested as the final goal for PS2 by the dev team. they envisioned Naval vessels, seamless oceans in between continents, and the battle islands acting as the stepping stones to travel between continents. Unfortunetley, that was either a complete lie, or progress to that point will not come until 2030, if at all, based on current content adding timeframes.
  6. Goretzu

Naval combat was always a pipedream for PS1, although at least there you could have some limited aquatic River Combat.

Would be nice though.
  7. DatVanuMan

I'm disappointed, it REALLY would have been epic to roam the seas alongside allied plasma ships, each one harboring over 50 men each. You can actually TRAVERSE the ship, waiting for the doors to open, and landing on the beaches of Indar. However, just give them time. A game HAS to improve over time, and if SOE does start improving, just give them a year or so, and you can expect some wonderful things from them:)
  8. ABATTLEDONKEY

Dont hold your breath. Ive been playing PS2 since day one of open BETA, which is somewhere in the timeframe of 2 years. Since that time, VERY little actual content has been delivered to this game. as is VERY little. The dev team has also seen a significant cutback of their manpower since those days, and is now trickling out gameplay changes/additions at a pace that is very pathetic for a game that is still "getting support" for the next 20 years as they say. Unless drastic changes are made to the SOE team/policy, you will likely have the same game that you have right now, in a year, with only very small changes, and a metric **** ton of balance decisions which yo-yo back and forth effectively doing NOTHING for the long term balance, and enjoyabiity of this game.

Im a huge pessimist of the SOE PS2 Dev team not because Im a negative person, but because Ive watched the patterns, noticed the trends, and can honestly say that i do not believe the SOE dev team to be able to deliver what the community at large wants (for whatever reasons you choose to believe). If you want naval combat in a combined arms game, PS2 is NOT going to be that game....ever. that ship sailed, when the WAW spin off of the forgotten hope mod was active. really, BF2 MODS were the last good games we have seen, and ironically, they were the last largely community based content on the market.
  9. DatVanuMan

I understand what you say, but I honestly think that with a bit of our help, and a bit of hope, Planetside 2 will continue to be the best game I've ever, and still am, playing.
  10. \m/SLAYER\m/

is just called "Open World"
    [IMG]
  11. Alizona

They don't like players like me who lone wolf. They want us all bunched up, that's what all the lattice and continent-lock upgrades told us. They want us following the plan, coloring inside the lines.

But I still lone wolf, I still seek out turrets to repair instead of seeking out fights. I still go for the empty continent over the populated ones.

Know what my favorite thing is now? I like to time the continent-lock so I'm there when it happens. And also make sure I have a vehicle when it happens. If my team wins, I repair everything I can. If the other team wins, I blow up everything I can. It's like a fun new game inside the game for me anyways. Gotta make the best of it. I've been the last person on the map more than a few times. LOL And since if I die I can't get back, there's also a real nervousness to it that I just don't get in the normal game. I mean... who cares if you die? You just respawn. But if I die when the continent is locked... there goes all my plans. I like being nervous about dying. Continent lock is the only time I get that nervousness.

You want to talk open-world? Be the last person on a continent that is locked. That's about as open as it gets. :)

P.S. Sony spoiled my fun a little bit because I think they've put a 30-minute timer on the locked continents, after 30 minutes I think they shut of the certification points, you don't get any.
  12. Liam23490

They are locked so that we have bigger fights. Leave them unlocked and we have 100 dumb 12 vs 12 matches.
  13. volth

Or so we can play Esamir/Hossin every day on prime time :)
    Before patch it was fights on all 3 continents on Ceres.
    Now it's 1 big fights on Hossin and a ghost cap on the other continent.
  14. Liam23490

It keeps people more focused. Before, on Ceres at least, it was Indar 24/7, didn't matter where the alert was.