What's going on with the lighting?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by BlackDove, Jun 27, 2014.

1. BlackDove

I get that Hossin is supposed to be a swamp, and there's fog or whatever, but there's a ton of weird lighting effects that don't seem like they're intentional.

The shields at the base of biolabs, for example, are like a HUGE blur of light.

The fog is just basically like a wall that turns everything a weird color a few feet in front of me.

The moon is brighter than the sun should be sometimes, or maybe that was actually the sun? But it was greenish blue and it didn't have the moon texture on it.

I have everything on ultra, fog shadows off, and I can barely see anything in front of me on Hossin. I also have high quality texture filtering on in my drivers.

Is this normal? Hossin looks beautiful, when I get like 5 feet from a flower or something and I can actually see it!
  2. Longasc

Oh, I started a thread about that, the effect you call lighting is called "BLOOM". You can switch it totally off for now, I hope that they one day implement a slider that lets us tone down this effect instead of all or nothing..
  3. Pikachu

Turn on fog shadows. Only the volume of fog that is illuminated by the sun or moon is supposed to be visible.

They increased the glare effect on some lights for no reason.

Yes the moon on Hossin glows very strong and the nights are bright because the eye damaged minority complained too much. Its day time or twilight time. No night time.
  4. BlackDove

5. Voodoo4500

Agreed: The shields at the base of biolabs, for example, are like a HUGE blur of light.

I dont know what was going on in their minds but this is just ludicrous the amount of brightness and blur the shields produce now. I was shocked at how bad it looks now and how annoying it is.
  6. Alizona

Perhaps unrelated, but does anyone know why my screen is darkened (all the tones are darker) when I switch to windowed mode to play the game? When I switch back to fullscreen mode, everything lightens up. I suppose it could be some application running on my computer that is adjusting the contrast so visibly... but it could also be the game itself - does anyone else notice this effect?
  7. Alizona

Aha, perhaps my issue with contrast is related after all? Thanks for this link I will read thru it. He uses the term "washed out" and that's exactly what I'm experiencing in full screen mode compared to windowed mode.
  8. Pikachu

The brightness adjustment only works for fullsxreen mode and I aSume you dont play with default 0 value.
  9. Pikachu

Look at this AI mana turret. o_O
    [IMG]
  10. JibbaJabba

it's not graphics/driver related that I can tell. It's something up with PS2 itself.

It did not happen when the bloom slider got added, it's more recent than that.

I'm seeing spawn room shields that are strangely opaque.