What we know about the next big update:

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by ican'taim, Jul 21, 2020.

1. ican'taim

Hello salty vets! I have compiled a list of things we know (along with speculation) in the next big update!

Confirmed: (Heavily hinted at, shown/tweeted by devs)
    1. Revamped Esamir
    2. New kind of facility
    3. New melee weapon
    4. Mandate/quest system, will add lore

Questonable:
    1. Lodestar; was referenced multiple times in the facility tweet.
    2. The Bending
    3. Indar Triangle rework (see Datamined)

Personal Speculation:
    1. Anvils are getting removed because of the Lodestar.
    2. Texture/model overhaul
    3. Some version of Core Combat on Esamir.
    4. LLU

Datamined:
    1. Bulkhead doors
    2. "Nanovirus" mentioned multiple times
    3. Nanite Ned
    4. "TIalloysBestBase"
    5. Spy drone

Thoughts?
    • Up x 7
  2. MichaelMoen

I want the 3rd person infantry camera from PS:Arena please. Want to finally justify the cash i spent on the armor and helmet.
  3. NotziMad

I was thinking how nice it was for someone to do what you just did :)

I'm not joking, I never read the test forums, I don't play on the test servers, I don't read reddit or twitter so I'm left (and you might say it's my fault) to comment, criticise and praise changes once they go live.

And I have no idea about most of you mentioned, I mean I don't know what it is etc lol.

Still, over the years, I've come to grow weary of big announcements and sweet promises. And the last one I believed is still stuck in my throat (we abandon Planet Side Arena, make Rogue Games with many more people and a lot more resources, we will bring lots and lots of great content blah blah blah, since Escalation, I can only say pfff, I'm really not impressed, at all..

Edit -> one "figure" that does not lie, is population. Since Escalation, I was expecting anything except this :

[IMG]
    • Up x 1
  4. Blam320

Population drops after every major update; it's just a trend games follow. New updates bring people back to check out the new content, then those same people leave again because they get burnt out or they just came back solely to do a brief check of the new content before going back to whatever game(s) they're focusing on now.

So the conclusion you're drawing is a massive misrepresentation of the data. It's like people who wave around global temperature reports over a ten-year period and claim global warming isn't real when there's one or two years that are colder on average.
  5. NotziMad

No.

This was supposed to be a "rebirth" for the game. A fresh start. This was supposed to bring the game back to life.

It's 8 years old, its old, this was supposed to upgrade the game, to bring up to date, to provide content, all with the main objective of increasing the player base.

As to the conclusion I'm drawing, it's not a mis representation of data. It's a translation of data (numbers) into english lanugage.

As a matter of fact, I never even drew any conclusions, the only comment I said regarding the graph was (and I quote) :

But I will make a conclusion now, and it's fact, you can not deny it, it's simply not possible for you or anyone to deny this, and that is :

"We now have more or less the same population as before Escalation".

In other words, the impact of Escalation on the PS2 population was : bump to 8k at launch, then steady drop all teh way down to 2k, which was the pop before Escalation.

I'll give you a bonus one though. Another angle. (since you asked for it) This means that if the average population (now and for past couple years, give or take) of PS2 has been 2k. Escalation brought 6k additional players to the game. 3 times the usual pop in addtion to the usual pop.

And the game, in particular the devs, cause that is their job, failed to keep any of those players. They managed to attract an additional 6k players to the game, 3 times the usual population, and failed to keep any of them. **** What does that tell you?

**** I'll admit on a small play on words, for the sake of the argument, but to be honest, we can't know which players joined, which left and which stayed. It could well be for example that out of those 6k new players, 1k stayed and 1k of the 2k players left. But it does paint a very ugly picture don't you think?
  6. Demigan

That can only happen if anyone not inside your first-person view does not render. Additionally the camera offset needs to be minuscule. The more the camera is offset from the player the more enemies have a "shadow". This allows you to score hits by aiming either at the body of your enemy or behind your enemy when bullets need to path through them to get where you are aiming. At rangr you'll be leading the target anyway and nothing changes, but in CQC you can double and sometimes triple the area size where a shot means a hit. Imagine a pump-action user who can OHK you even though he's aiming a meter to your left, but because the pellets have to move through him to get there he still gets a kill.

I would rather get other ways to show off your stuff. Holograms designed to confuse people, giant banners and billboards that show off characters that succeeded at some feats during the latest fights, mirrors stationed in bases (although that would mean shadows and such need to be on as well, big performance issue probably), bounty-systems and other menu's where you can see what your targets or leaders are wearing etc.
    • Up x 2
  7. ZDarkShadowsZ

I really, really, really hope there's a continent revamp. That's up there on my 'please fix' list, along with, 'Please fix the horrible FPS drops from random areas of the map and when repairing'.

I'm looking forward to seeing what this revamped mission system and campaign system that's being worked on. I'm running out of directives to work on that interest me and would like something new.
  8. Liewec123

hold the phone, could this mean The Higby is coming back?
    don't get my hopes up like this!
    Higby would slap so much sense into the youtuber lead designer.

also this thing
    [IMG]
    i see the gigantic rocket, definately looks like a launch pad for a space rocket,
    maybe they realise how terrible of an idea "sanctuary" is so they're gonna give us an event
    to blast that useless waste of resources out of orbit!
    • Up x 1
  9. ican'taim

I mean this is what I saw:
    [IMG]
  10. icufos

Will take anything they throw to me and consume it with relish.....
    However Green 1. Red 2. Blue 2+5.
  11. Liewec123

aaw XD
    would have loved to get Higby back XD
    • Up x 1
  12. NotziMad

Me too ...

He moved to Ubisoft, didn't follow what he did after that. He's exactly the kind of dev / creative director this game desperately needs, needed .. whatever, will need. The kind of profile the PS2 dev team does not have today (and I'll stop there)
    • Up x 1
  13. Demigan

Looks like a cheap version of the BFG 9000.

[IMG]

I would guess it's going to emulate something like the Titan wars gameplay or whatever it was called that people keep referring to when talking about Bastions, where capturable things on the landscape would periodically fire at Bastion-like ships to damage them.

Instead of focussing on the Outfit Dipmanure we have now they should be focussing on the main game. Add new capture mechanics! Integrate PMB's into the main game! Make communication easy, quick and contextual between anyone regardless of Squad, Platoon, Outfit or them being randoms, make all choices for suit slots, utilities, performance slots etc be viable side-grades rather than the one-size-fits-all choices many of these slots have and the sheer stupidity of allowing players to straight upgrade their vehicle with faster reloads and better vehicle properties making it a hell for new players to try and compete.
    • Up x 1
  14. MichaelMoen

All those ideas still leaves me without being able to enjoy my own purchases in the moment, at any moment. Besides the Mirror, but what I have to go find a mirror and stare at it until I'm finished? I didn't buy cosmetics to show off to other players, I purchased them for my own immersion and appreciation. It's why I've purchased cosmetic "upgrades" for nearly every vehicle, because at least in those you get a 3rd person camera and I get to enjoy what my Vanguard or Sundy looks like while driving around. I wish I could do the same as infantry.

I just think simply. When in 3rd person, remove the reticle. Make hip firing incredibly inaccurate so the skilled competitive players will have to use ADS anyway.
    • Up x 1
  15. Demigan

I understand your need for seeing your own cosmetics, but you are sacrificing a lot of gameplay just to get it. If you remove the crosshair people will simply use a 3rd party crosshair, even I have one for PS2 nowadays. If you add penalties to hipfire people will just use it as a look-around-and-over-things method, I know I am doing that right now with vehicles and there's little penalty to quickly switching. I also dont want to see pump-action users or high ROF users that just peek around corners, then pop up and use the 3rd person perks to erase players that approach before hopping back behind their corner.

You have to find an alternative. 3rd person will break too much of the game that you are buying the cosmetics in, and those cosmetics become worthless if people leave the game even faster when they get killed because their opponent could see them approach and attack whenever they feel like while they cant do the same.
    • Up x 1
  16. MichaelMoen

Then why did PS:Arena even have 3rd person if it was meant to be more competitive than the MMO? In the time the game was live I don't remember seeing anyone that played it complain about it being a thing.

And that already happens anyway. MiniMap detection, hearing footsteps, client latency take your pick.
  17. Demigan

I wonder why PS:A flopped?
    I wonder why PUBG for example also offers a 1rst person mode only? Could it be because 3rd person can give unfair advantages?
    I also suspect that many developers simply dont realize that 3rd person adds detriments to a game, and that the choice between 3rd and first person games isnt always done with as much forethought about the consequences as people might think. Just take a look at the latest 15 changes to PS2 and tell me if these devs have a good grasp of whats going on.

"It already happens a little bit so lets make it worse!"

Not exactly a good solution. Especially since minimap can be avoided and footsteps has a limited range (and they should really solve the unfair advantage of people modifying their sound settings to hear them better. Like certain weapon sounds being a lot louder too). There's also a lot less problems with people deleting others by waiting behind a doorway or similar because of these inaccuracies. You cant avoid someone peeking around a corner and when peeking its a lot easier to see who approaches, how fast, what he's wearing and when he'll be at a good position to receive a full load of fire, especially if you have a larger surface area to shoot at compared to first person.
    • Up x 2
  18. Blam320

Dude you're deluding yourself. Escalation was NEVER supposed to be this massive, game-saving update that was going to promise nothing but growth from here on out. It was a big update, yes, and it brought much-needed depth to Outfit gameplay. But it wasn't something like a Relaunch.

On top of that, not only is PS2 old, PS2 is extremely niche and has a punishing new-player experience. We don't have advertising like PUBG or Fortnite or COD or Battlefield, we don't have a tutorial to orient players with what to expect, and we certainly don't have the mass appeal of more arcade-style games like the ones I just mentioned.

So, yes, YOU ARE MISREPRESENTING DATA. You're making baseless claims about the update off of your own personal speculation, and because your speculative goals weren't met you're labeling the update an automatic failure. That's completely intellectually dishonest. Look at TF2. Another old game that's steadily suffered from population drops, even with huge, game-changing updates like the Pyro Update. And guess what? You've got the same cycle with TF2. Major update drops, people surge back to the game to check things out, interest wanes until you're back down to the most invested players.
    • Up x 1
  19. NotziMad

Look, when I say that the population before Escalation was on average 2k players (global), that's a fact.

When I say that when Escalation launched, returning and new players increased that population to 8k players, that's a fact.

When I say that in the following months, the game's population then dropped back down to 2K, that's a fact.

When I say that that 2k population is the same as it was before Escalation, that's a FACT.

20. OutlawSZ

I think you missed his point entirely. Nobody is disputing the actual ebb and flow of multiplayer game bases, its the fact you labelled it as this supposed savior of the franchise and that it failed. Speak to that and not just cherry picking parts of the response.
    • Up x 1