[Suggestion] What to do with Triage. Triage 5 video.

Discussion in 'Combat Medic' started by Sebyos, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Sebyos

Hi

As fellow medics I am sure that you all agree that Triage is not worth the certs. The reasons are fairly simple. The passive line itself is simply not good for how the game works.

However, I wanted to be 100% sure of it and be able to showcase the passive ability at maximum level before making any conclusion. This is why I spent 1350 certification points in this line. You can see in the video how Triage works at maximum level.

After a short test in this video, here are my conclusions:

Healing

Healing in this game is abundant. I have about 20 days of playtime during which I spent about 90% of my time as a medic. What I noticed is that there is a lot of people with restoration kits. It’s a good way to heal yourself with a small resource and certification cost. For those who don’t have that, they are usually close enough to a terminal where they can switch to a medic and use nanites. They can even simply get healed by the Biolabs… Of course medics can also come into play and heal infantry before these scenarios happen. This is a considerable problem for Triage. There is a lot of people playing this game as it is a massively multiplayer game. What it means is that there is a lot of medics just waiting to heal the infantry so you will practically never get in a vehicle without your life full.

TTK

The Time To Kill in this game is very very short. As a medic, we spend the vast majority of our time reviving the troops rather than healing them because of how quick death can occur in Planetside 2. Furthermore, since we are weeks after release, troops will likely be resurrected will full health and if not, they will probably be healed right after the resurrection. Once again, there is no need to heal people in vehicles if they are already full before they get in.

Video

In the video, you can see an infantry with about 20-25% health being fully healed for 56xp over 35 seconds with a 40% bonus which would be 40xp without the bonus. It seems slow, but we can safely assume that a soldier would be fully healed in under 1 minute which is still lower than the time you usually spend in a vehicle between bases. So if we did need to heal people in vehicles, the passive line would actually be pretty effective.

Summary

Basically, the idea is that Triage is really not worth it to begin with. It’s a good passive for what it does; it heals people in vehicles rather well. The problem is that it fixes a problem that doesn’t exist in the first place. There is simply no need to heal people in vehicles in Planetside 2.

Suggestions

I’m sure most of us agreed that this line wasn't very good before this thread and I simply consolidated our view on the matter. Now it’s time to see what we can do with that.

I spent some good amount of times on the medic forums in the past few weeks and found a few good suggestions of abilities we might want instead of Triage.

The first one is corpse drag. This once came back a couple of times and seemed to rally a lot of people. The idea is to allow medics to grab the dead body of someone and drag it close enough to revive it. I’m not sure about this one since the 4 meters range on the medic gun 6 is pretty decent and we can use revive grenades to revive people from a further distance. Still, it’s one of my favorite ideas.

Shield regeneration. I would like to see some way for the medic to influence the regeneration of the shied after a revive. I’m not sure if the better option would be to reduce the timer before it regenerates like the Shield Capacitor or just directly give back a portion of the shield back. For example the ability could revive infantry at 50% shield capacity at level 5.

Extra temporary health. As a medic in Killzone 3, I really liked to revive people with an extra temporary health. It gave people a reason to wait a few more seconds for a medic and the medic would get his xp. It was a win-win situation. Ideally, this would be complemented with another great thing for medics in Killzone 3, a medic icon that shows the dead player how close the medic is in meters making is decision of waiting for the medic or respawning much easier.

Dropable beacon. This one is my favorite. It would work a bit like an ammo pack. Medics would be able to drop a healing beacon on which infantry would be able to go and get healed over a short period of time. I’m sure people would think twice before using resources for a restoration kit if there was a beacon close. It would also not have the problem that vehicles have in the sense that troops would not necessarily be fully healed before getting to the beacon; it would be the job of the medic to ensure that the beacons are well placed and can heal before restoration kits, passive Biolab healing and other medics come into play. Obviously it would make the healing grenades somewhat pointless and we would need another slot for the beacon. What I mean is that I woudn’t want to have to choose between revive grenade and healing beacon. I think the best option would be exactly like an engineer who can use grenades and have his ammo packs in the inventory list.

Conclusion

I think now it’s time for us to debate what we want to do with Triage. If you got better ideas or like the suggestions please voice your opinion so we can change the passive ability into something we like.
    • Up x 23
  2. Nimvalz

Great post sebyos, would you happen to know the stats on the nano-regen cooldown period after the last level is acquired?
  3. Sebyos

Hi and thanks.

I did some testing and it's 35 seconds on max level when fully depleted although there is a 3 seconds delay before it starts going up when it's empty.
    • Up x 1
  4. Nimvalz

Thanks for letting me know, I'll run some tests on my level 5 device so we can compare how much time it cuts off.
  5. Uzii

Perhaps Triage should give an area of healing to those around the vehicle instead, higher level bigger radius and faster healing. Maybe have a 3-5 second delay on the heal after damage has been taken, similar to the Nano Auto-Repair vehicles have.
    • Up x 5
  6. DemoEvolved

Anything would be nice. If it is corpse drag, I will never use it.
  7. sideshow

It doesn't share a slot with anything, so you aren't losing anything by having it (except the certs to buy it). As an ability it looks to me like it's good for one thing: you're in a 12 man squad, you're traveling around in a Sundy, getting **** done. Whenever the base flips, or the enemy are repelled, the squad leader says "Mount up", and everyone gets in the sundy. No fannying around getting healed up. Just mount up and move out, and when you get to the next location everyone in the squad is at full strength. I don't have a problem with that; I think it's quite handy.

However, I'd also have no problem if they put another ability in the same slot, and let you pick between them. Of the ones you've listed I like the drop-able beacon, but I feel that that should replace the medigun; you shouldn't have both (I'd had the same thought for the Engi; give them a replacement for the repair gun that they can deploy, which would repair nearby things automatically).

So: I think Triage is useful, in its niche way, but would be happy to see it have some competition for its slot.
  8. Grotpar

Instead? No.
    In addition to? Yes.
  9. Sebyos

Not a bad idea, maybe we simply need a little buff to our Triage to make reach a bit more people. Lol I can really see myself as an ambulance going around the battlefield on my battlehealingsundie.
  10. Arcanum

Please make Triage less pathetic SOE.

Also OP didn't mention triage heals MAXes. I just think it's kinda important to mention that.
    • Up x 5
  11. RblDiver

In beta, it was pretty OP. Not in a "healing" way, but in a cert way. For one, it affected you on _all_ classes, and two, you'd get something like +10xp for healing every half-second or so. And since it was only healing about 0.5% health each time....yeah, that was a veritable cert farm.

I would like it to be updated and heal more frequently than every 15sec or so though.
    • Up x 1
  12. Nepau

Have to agree that Triage sounds like it needs work. I do like the idea of it being a placed becon, however there would have to be limits placed so that you couldnt just drop like 5 or 6 of them in one spot causing super soldiers who can take a stupid amount of damage because they can just fully heal too quicky.

I also wonder what it might do if they increased the Triage so that it also causes healing around the vehicle that the medic is in, so for example that Sundy can be used to top off people while the medic is in one of the guns.

In your test did the Health regen also work on Maxes in the vehicles? I was wondering since I know that the Biolabs passive regen in friendly territory does.
  13. Sebyos

I can confirm that it does heal Max units. Got video of it if you want.
  14. Turiel =RL=

[Suggestion] For 1000 points you can reduce the timer on your Flash from a few seconds to zero. If you don't have anything better to do with your certs, you could test that also.
  15. Sebyos

I'm sure you know it's not the same thing, at least I hope so.
  16. Locke

Personally I dont think this cert should of even made it into the game. They could at least make it heal at almost full medgun speed at full level. If they do keep it in they need to introduce something to make it worthwhile. Maybe something along the lines of a small temporary hp boost for those leaving the vehicle that increases by each level of triage you have.
  17. Ronin Oni

^This is the best idea I've seen...

It would in effect create medic trucks/vehicles.

Delay on heal from dmg would be necessary.... and I could see even 6-10 maybe reduceable to 5 minimum
  18. Ronin Oni

I think he was more to the point saying that rank 6 Triage was known to be pointless... just as the final flash cooldown cert is.
  19. Sebyos

Yeah it was ******** sarcasm about how it was obvious that it sucked before upgrading so might as well get last upgrade on flash which is known to suck too.

Thing is I had to do it. I had to make sure no one could come in and say : ''Oh but Triage may be incredible at level 5 !'' No one would do that for the last Flash upgrade.
  20. Tipper

I think it would be a lot better (and a lot cooler) if they made art for the inside of the sundy, and you could manually heal the guys sitting around you with your medic gun
    • Up x 2