What the hell is this thing?

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by DiHorizon, May 15, 2013.

1. DiHorizon

I logged into the PTS to run through the tutorial and test it out. It taught me how to move, look, jump, crouch, and shoot. Which is handy, because I had gone through 65 battleranks on live without knowing any of that. But it's the crouching part of the tutorial that really confused me. There was a normal looking corridor that I was walking down and I was ordered to crouch to get under a weird object I have never seen before. Here is a screenshot incase anyone has any ideas:
    [IMG]
    What gets to me though, is the fact that they're trying to stealthily add this in a way that only new players will encounter it and be familiar with it. So if they ever implement this crazy thing outside of the tutorial, players like me who have invested hundreds of hours into Planetside 2 and are the lifeblood of the game will be completely thrown and confused by it.

I may just preemptively quit the game outright over this.
    • Up x 2
  2. Ocfos

Oh my god it's an upside-down half-wall! All of us people who played the game without the tutorial will have no idea how to move past this devilish contraption! What ever will we do?
    /End sarcasm
    • Up x 9
  3. zukhov

I'm stumped :(
  4. DiHorizon

Upside down half-walls are everywhere.

This thing was bouncing up and down and spitting out sparks.
  5. Stew360

Its actually a tutorial for 6 years old kids or for compleate morons ...

I do not undestand why they do not focus on important stuff like ' how the capture work whats the difference between sort of shield , comand chanel , smokes signal , orders signal , comunication chanel , objective , classes , ennemy factions unique weaponry and so on ... instead of focusing on Generic USELESS tutorial BS
    • Up x 3
  6. Blitzkrieg

The most 'useful' part of that tutorial is showing the 3 factions next to each other so you can see the difference between the 3, which hopefully may reduce newer players shooting players because they can't identify the difference.

Pretty much that tutorial is for window lickers.
  7. Ocfos

At the time I last checked it, it didn't spit out sparks or anything.
    If it does that, my best bet is that it's a broken door or something that stopped mid-opening.

Despite, I was clearly joking.
  8. UKAvenger

Agree with stew a bit there but hope they do add a bit more into the tutorial soon. I'm assuming its just the start...surely! (beyond how to move and shoot, which is the most basic stuff any one able to install the game should know how to do all that ;))

On topic, i just ducked under and thought nothing of it. Looking at it i cant say i for sure if i have seen it before or not. Could be one of those things you see every day but just ignore hehe
  9. Cl1mh4224rd

I think there was maybe one other person (Ocfos) in this thread that got the door joke. ("What's a door?!")
  10. IronWarrior

Unless they are in Charlie squad.
    • Up x 1
  11. NoctD

I've tried crouching and moving past the hole in the fence at The Palisade, but its too small to crawl by it.

But you know, I learned that re-deploy with the Del button is quite OP... vs. having to do it from the map and you're blind to your surroundings while you wait for the counter. Yeah, the tutorial is actually GOOD!
  12. UKAvenger

doh. haha i thought he was refering to the object :)

My sarcasm detector must be on the blink today!
  13. SpaceHobo

is that a door? a real door and not some fancy lighwallthingy? So doors exist on auraxis? i always thought its just a mythos!

what will come next? Windows you can close? okay maybe we are not ready for this superior technology.
    • Up x 4
  14. Puppy

Players new to FPS games may not understand any of this. Please respect them. They deserve a good tutorial as well.
    • Up x 1
  15. Elrobochanco

Was going to say finally door technology has been shown to exist on auraxis. Though obviously all the cloned soldiers come from the one guy who never figured out how to operate them (see all the closed exits on outpost spawn sheds)
  16. gigastar

Honestly it seems a bit wierd that players new to FPS games would choose Planetside 2 as thier first FPS.
  17. Ripshaft

Good evening player, I'm sorry you're experiencing concern over the content in the game, please, let me explain;

Planetside 2 is a groundbreaking genre defining title using many cutting edge technologies. This allows the game to support these epic battles of massive scale, however at times this can also result in some unintended consequences, or "bugs".

The development team does their best to help new players understand these concepts, and as such has simulated a wall being stuck in a doorway, along with instructions on how to react to situations like this. Presumably when the tutorial is released there are sirens and flashing signs saying "REMAIN CALM" that will be present in the area, but that is not part of this build.

I assure you that once you get past this challenge, you will find yourself ready to deal with the real planetside world, where almost 99% of the time, there are not walls stuck in doorways.
    • Up x 2
  18. Puppy

I think it's to be expected. FPSMMO is much different. It appeals to more players. As well as MLG getting involved which contains most LoL or SC2 players. Not all of them play or have touched an FPS game. But this catches their interest.
  19. Worph

"Day 52, I encountered something trying to stop me from entering a room. I have never seen anything like this. It.... it.... it was horrific. I didn't even want to think about what might happen if it had fallen down. I might have been trapped in there for an eternity.
    I have seen a lot of things in my time, platoons just 'splotting to the shell of a Dalton, drowning in the blood of my friends carcasses that were evaporated by C4, the Crown... but this thing. Entering buildings will never be the same again. Not even consulting the official psychologist of the TR seems to help me getting over that trauma, for weeks and weeks to come. Let's all hope it's one of a kind *shudders* *cries* *nervous breakdown* *cardiac arrest*"

-- Would be so awesome to see things like that in the game!

And did you see all the other stuff lying around in all those rooms? It looked so lively compared to the actual game. Please make it more so, oh SOE overlords. *Prays*
    • Up x 3
  20. ChaosReaperr

OP: To quote your own sig:

"If you have ever wondered why the dev team generally don't interact with this forum try reading some of your own posts."