What Planetside 2 is all about.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by P4nda, Jan 9, 2013.

1. P4nda

Server: Connery

This game is all about team play, and the social interactions between real humans all vying for a common goal. Nothing can bring community closer, better than that - WoW in all it's end-game-grindfest glory cannot come close to the general unity the PS1 community experienced. Personally, the only two games that ever accomplished a more involved community was SWG(PRE-CU (which is now shut down)), and EVE online.

The general purpose behind this post is to show off some fun footage and to remind the PS2 community that MMO's go through change, and the only people who can make our gaming experience any better, is ourselves. So start posting constructive criticism about bugs/fixes/balance changes etc, if you have any... I'm sure whining and complaining is enthusiastically ignored by the SOE Dev team.

Anywho, enjoy the vid! Couldn't think of a better forum section to post this in, sorry Radar.
    • Up x 4
  2. Liquid23

ewwwww Vanu
  3. PharmD

What is the common goal here? A 10 percent resource discount? lol. There is no purpose to this game other than grinding for certs. This takes a large part of the human interaction away for me. I don't revive a downed player because I want to win. I do it for the certs. This is the mentality for a large portion of players now, at least until Sony implements some sort of meta game.
  4. Liquid23

I'd assume the common goal would be having fun by stomping the enemies face into the ground in the most unceremonious way possible
  5. Raichu

Great video +1! also love the inception music
  6. JudgeDeath

It is the mentality because you have that mentality ... Not everyone does thank god.
  7. MrPokealot

...wait, so Planetside 2 ISN'T ABOUT PANDAS? I want my money back soe
  8. DrunkenDoughnuts

The point, for me, is to have fun. I have fun by shooting stuff. Therefore, I shoot stuff. Some people find that to be a negative.
  9. P4nda

You're playing the wrong game then. Seriously. I think you'd be better suited for COD.
  10. PharmD

This game is extremely similar to COD/BF. I would much rather be playing PlanetSide 1 but only about 30 or so people log in during prime time, if you are lucky.
  11. P4nda

For the moment. Let's contribute in a positive manor to help wake up our devs into introducing some PS1-like mechanics (or all of them).
  12. Liquid23

there is a reason only 30 people log into that game :D
  13. Ak69

PS1 needs to have a footprint on Planetside 2,

This music makes me sad, and also sad that a lot of great things were left out of planetside 2.

I hope the devs are listening.
  14. PharmD

Reason being that it's 15 dollars a month play, plus 5 dollars for the box. The majority of players are not going to spend this kind of money when it's successor is free. Furthermore, Smedly has stated it will be going free to play(although not soon) so I imagine a lot of veterans are waiting for this to happen rather than putting money into it now.
  15. P4nda

Latency issues, outdated tech, old server software and yet all of these problems are fixable with today's current technology. PS1 had great game mechanics, progression and persistence, the ability to make you feel like what you're doing is meaningful etc. It only failed because as said 100000x before, it was ahead of it's time. It is the only MMO where such a massive number of old outfits (guilds) and players have come back in force for a sequel. PS1 must've done something right - ...and, well, it did.

But this is not a PS1 discussion thread, so just ignore all that.
  16. Liquid23

argument is invalid because no one was willing to pay that years before PS2 was even announced... even further to invalidate your point is that before PS2 was released PS1 was truly unique and yet still, with no other choices, almost no one was willing to pay to sub and play it
  17. P4nda

Read my post above you. In all honesty is was WoW that killed PS1, but WoW drained every other MMO on the market at the time so that argument is kind of mute. Looking past that, it was technical and balance issues that killed the majority of the player base. The game mechanics themselves were perfect though, in all regards.
  18. Noxx(ia)

there need to be more people like you in this world.
  19. Liquid23

no PS1 killed PS1... people didn't stop playing because of WoW they stopped playing because it wasn't fun/good enough to justify them spending 50 cents a day on... that snowballed so the very few that DID find the game fun left because they were to few in number to effectively fulfill the games main purpose of large scale battle... no offense but the majority who played it deemed it not worthy even with no like alternative to play...

also lol @ "The game mechanics themselves were perfect though" ... god take of the nostalgia tinted glasses ... some of them were good ideas but almost all of them were implemented horribly which is why most people didn't find it fun and left
  20. MasterCheef

you know whats fun- finding a small squad and sticking together. Its a great change of pace from rolling with the zerg. A small squad where everyone tries to fill a role and you go around the map as a mercenary company. You travel action zone to action zone helping out however you can.

You clear rooms together, you tactically take down objectives- get base cap XP and move on. The zerg may never know how much you helped them, then you just move on to the next action hotspot.