What is with this gun? Or am i doing something wrong...

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by Raidashi, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Raidashi

So, i wanted a new gun that would be pretty accurate, even if i hip fired it. Was looking for a gun w/o too much spray and after a few days of testing, i settled on the GD7F, being falsely lured by its ultra small reticule size.

When i test it out, the gun is pretty good. Does everything i want, including good hipfire... I have the advanced laser dot on it, and when i'm crouched and not moving, the ret is smaller then the width of a pencil. Should be hella accurate if you control the spray right? ... Looks pretty much what i wanted, a weapon that can be fired from the hip accurately with out much trouble...

-So I quickly to to try it out, and what do i discover? it takes like 7-10 shots to kill anything (no prob its way accurate and fires fast right? Wrong...) For some weird *** reason, the gun misses shots like something with 4x its recoil/ret size. Seriously. So i turn around to test fire it on some walls from 30m off, the bullet spread is nice and tight. Test it on some by standers at warp gate around 25-50 meters and 4/5 shots will land on him when i burst. Well hell, the spread looks fine, nice and tight even when i'm walking and shooting, burst will keep that ret nice and small, and the bullets land in tight grouping.

Go to test it on the field? I sneak up behind some LA that doesnt know i jump jetted behind him, lay some burst fire into him from 5--10 meters and what do you know? the bastard turns around and kills me. Even from point blank ranges, the gun is actively missing every other shot.

Whatever, i must be bad aim. I keep with it, and later what do i find? Standing still a TR, under 5 meters away (little over a seconds walk), so i go to rip into the guy full auto (i'm in his grill right? my max spread from crouch is less than his shoulders width), and half the shots miss. He jukes at the last second, and kills me while i have to reload.

Later, same guy actually, we get into a 1v1. I burst fire my gun several times, keeping him almost perfectly in my sights. Enough of the rounds miss where i gata reload. The TR guy never once took his finger off the triger, and wasted me.

So what the heck is it? I'm obviously missing something because this is a popular gun for CQB, which is what i greatly prefer. Yet i'm having utter failure attempting to use it. The rounds just go everywhere, despite the fact my reticule shows that it should have a super nice and tight spread.

Perhaps i'm just not understanding spread correctly. Recoil is fine, its a pain but i can deal with it at the ranges i'm using it at.

I should also mention that the gun is utterly worthless at more then 20 meters. 1 in 3 shots will hit, and i gata empty most a clip on some one. 25-40 meters is my average battle range... i should be using a shotgun for where this rifle is effective at. Greater then 40 meters i have to go single shot, and at which point i'm mostly harassing peoples shields and making them move, because i've never killed any one before they just walked elsewhere)

And btw, yea, i'm kinda mad... Wasted 300 certs on this thing, between the lasers and the softpoint ammo (which i'm confused about, as it doesnt seem to do anything except screw up my med range combat even more). At which point, i'd like to figure out if theres some trick to this gun i'm not seeing, or if i'm using it wrong some how.

Please only reply if you have any advice/info. I LIKE this gun when it works (i have dropped a couple people real quick, but thats seldom) and i wana figure it out... But If your post is just spam/trolling i'll just go ahead and report it as such. If you cant help it, at least add something of value to your post so your not just wasting space...
  2. AntiDemocide

GD7F is arguably the best NC carbine, having the least TTK than any other carbine in the game (including VS and TR). Heck, I would say it does even better than the merc at medium range. I do very well with it, dying only after I've run out of ammo on it and using my pistol (I get 6-7kills).

My setup is suppresor, 1x reflex, adv. laser pointer and soft point.

The RoF is your best friend. Spray all you can (dont burst fire in CQB) on the enemy if within 10m. However, your ammo is low so you have to manage well, hence why you may have some trouble killing enemies if you can't get them on target.

Dont aim down the sight--strafe and hip fire.

I seriously dont understand your problem with how you managed to not kill the TR. Maybe because you fired too soon, before you landed hence explaining the innacuracy.
    • Up x 2
  3. japro

I also like it, it is tons of fun to use. But it does have a rather low effective range. With this super agressive CQC loadout (suppressor + soft point) you can sometimes a empty clip on a static target that is 30+m away without killing it and then you are in trouble thanks to the long reload time...
    • Up x 1
  4. Iridar51

How recently have you been testing this? Today I also had similar problems. I would just fire at people and it felt like none of the shots connected (I use TRAC 5S). I never had this *bug* or whatever before.
    I don't think that your gun is at blame here.
    But having to fire up to ten shots to kill someone is OK. It usually takes me from 13 to 16 shots.
    • Up x 1
  5. Raidashi

It was after a full conclusive day of using the GD7-F, all day, then i posted my upset. Glad to see some one else is getting the same vibe. No one wants to consider that theyre just being failsauce, which is why i was so irritated (because i couldnt decide if it was something i was doing wrong, or if something was wonky). Least i feel better about that now. BTW when i said it took me 10 shots, i meant it took 10 shots connecting with the target (specially on certed heavies, i actually avoid them). My average remaining bullets post kill is about 15, meaning i fire half my clip, so at least thats in line. That seriously takes no time too, so when it hits right it does drop people hard.

Thanks for the advice. TBH i was tryijng to use it like any other NC gun (aim, burst, re aim, burst), so i'll try more aggressive hipfire tactics. Its why i wanted the gun to begin with anyway. I would love to see you use it btw since you have such large success with it, just to see how you use it. Ya know, how you aim and control your fire, how you approach your targets. Any chance you can capture some video?

I should mention btw, my setup is 4x scope (i figure if i'm not hipfiring its because theyre 30+ out anyway, at which point i'm using single shot to harass), soft point, and advanced laser. I want the suppressor next, but after i get C4.

I'm not sure about the issue with the TR either. It w as a full clip right into his back from point blank. Figured i lost it because i just went full auto on him, but really by any standard, any weapon, he should have died. Hard. Specially to a CQB oriented weapon. It naturally only added to the WTF factor i was already knee deep in. With how accurate this gun is, i feel if i unload a clip into some one, and as long as the bulk of their body remains in the reticule, the gun should get the kill on anything under 15 meters, or at least be severely wounded.

BTW, i did some more testing earlier before work today. I noticed something peculiar while firing at a wall. Over several clips, every now and again, about 2-3 times per clip, a bullet will stray out WAY beyond the reticule bloom. Perhaps shots are getting lost to lag? Maybe a bug where the gun "forgets" that it has the advanced laser attachment for a couple shots? In a couple burst fire exercises, i noticed a round landing WAY out where you would expect the outer most edge of a fully bloomed, un modded weapon, while the ret was still super small. I figured i jerked but now i'm just not sure anymore.

Which brings up another thought i just had this morning. For whatever reason, when the server is being slow, i've noticed shots getting lost. This happened, ironically, with my TR alt and his Trac5 S... Which btw i basically confirmed when direct hits from my grenade launcher wouldnt register in large fights where people were taking 2-3 seconds to render in.

I use my Verizon service for my internet connection, which they usually do fine btw. Very fast, low ping (~100-150), and generally stable. Other games report in fine usually running under well under 200ms (which to me is acceptable), but sometimes some games (for example EvE) will decide they just dont like it, and act wonky. Usually this results in successive DC's though, which i'm not getting.

Thanks for the replies guys.
  6. LameFox

Take soft point ammo off and try it some more.
  7. Raidashi

Tried it on and off... didnt really feel the difference other then maybe bullet speed, but even that as hard to tell just by lookin at... btw my experience with it wasnt NEARLY this effective:

ESPECIALLY at range. I use the 4x scope to peg targets at the same range he was when he was at medium distance. I never once got a kill using auto fire, or even bursting...

This video is how i EXPECTED the gun to handle. At the end when he was landing shots on the guy from up top the tower? I couldnt. The rounds just wouldnt connect. I'm starting to think that this should be a potential bug report, since theres obvious proof that the weapon has great handling that i'm just not seeing.
    • Up x 1
  8. LameFox

Hm... soft point ammo really made me hate my TR Lynx when I tried it. Can't really compare to that video though, my NC alt uses default weapons (I never really saw the need to buy new ones, I like all the starting guns).

I wonder if you've made its hip fire too accurate or something. If it's really laser-like then up close it would mean your aim needs to be more precise than usual. On all my carbines the spread indicated by the crosshair suggests that by default I could sink a good burst into some guy's head within the average building, which tends to be the distance at which I don't have time to use the sights.

Also, I saw a while ago someone saying that if your FPS is very low, bullets that would have hit in a frame that never gets rendered simply vanish. Not sure whether that's true or not.
    • Up x 1
  9. japro

Its really not a range weapon. It has the by far largest COF of any of the NC carbines (see here). I personally would prefer the 2x dot on it (which for some freak reason is not available?) so I use the 1x dot and am happy with it. It is easily accurate enough as a "scope" within the GD-7Fs range and is imho the best for cqc anyway.

One of the biggest advantages of the 7F for LA is imho that with adv laser it is by far the best gun to use during jetpacking...
  10. Raidashi

Wow... Really? Thats a terrifying prospect. And horribly likely the cause if true. And utterly ********? Also believable since the game suffers from immeasurable render related issues already.

I play at 20-35 FPS. I like my pretty graphics but since i use Radeon and an i7, the game is horribly unoptimized, despite that i run pretty good hardware. But i do like my eye candy. I have a new test to try out. I'll also be recording the results too.

The spread btw even with my Advanced laser, blooms out to roughly larger then an inch across (from its 1/4 inch default), so its not really a laser despite the fact that the ret starts super small. Hence why i thought maybe some how i was just not bursting right. After seeing that video its anything but (since he used no burst control).

So tomorrow when i get home (yes i sleep at work, it sucks) i'll try some tests. One, will be current settings, observe the effects. Then go all low settings (which look like garbage imo), and see the difference if at all. Then i'll go straight to super laggy high settings (where i'll probably get a friend to make a TR or VS toon for me to shoot since no way i'm gana be competitive with <20 fps.

All on record. This will also serve as a self analysis. My theory is this... Either

A) i'm being a baddie and just not realizing it in the heat of battle (when i first used a laser sight i actually would accidentally aim with it, instead of the ret. I didnt realize this until my friend watching me pointed it out)

or

B) Theres a legit problem, and i'll document it and make an official bug report (because if hits arnt being detected, then thats a horrible horrible problem)

Hits are detected client side btw. Which only makes me even more suspicious about potential rendering issues and FPS (god knows this game has rendering issues) If this is the case btw, it would explain why it always feels like i'm firing back at people twice as much to kill them. I figured it was just lag and the 1/4th second jump they get having all their damage register at once making it seem alittle tweaked...

Thanks for the support thus far!
  11. AntiDemocide

I cant really record a footage because my computer can barely run PS2 at 20-30 fps. However, I can give you some additionnal tips, and this goes for playing LA. I am a very aggresive player.
    1. You are a hit and run character. If 20-25 bullets have missed, retreat, jet to high places and wait for opportunity.
    2. Always ambush! You mobility is godly, even more so with the GD-7f and adv laser. Sometimes I just drop of enemies head and maul them to death.
    3. Dont shoot targets running perpendically. If possible, align with their movement and shoot.
    4.C4 the MAXES.

Note: I personally use adrenaline even if some say it's UP. I like the 8%-10% mobility buff. It allows you to catch people sprinting and THEN shoot when you are sure you can kill before he runs away(e.g when you two are around 5m)

Now, more weapon specific.
    1-change your scope. the 1x reflex is best at the effective range of the weapon e.g the range of soft point e.g 10-30m. You can go full auto. For anything farther, hold your fire and sneak.
    2-Silencer. Bullet slow down doesn't matter. It helps be unnoticed, since more and more look at the radar. This is the only weapon I find the silencer worth it.
    3-About hip fire and ADS. Hipfire when the target is inside around twice the laser's length. Otherwise, ADS. The versatility of this guns lies in that in both cases its very accurate.
    4-MIssing doesn't matter. This gun fires so fast that some bullets ought to hit. This is why you will land more shots full auto than bursting.

Additionnal note: Has one of the shortest TTK of all carbines. At pointblank, you can drop a shielded heavy before he kills you (assuming 100% acuuracy)
    • Up x 1
  12. gunshooter

Your character was likely bugged.
  13. Skurcey

I dont like the GD7, you waste ammo too much.
    I take the Gauss S
  14. Ghoest

Its sounds like the OP is a bad shot or something.

I kill stuff faster with the GD-7F than any other NC guns(besides a shot gun.)

But a couple of points

1 - if you want to hip shoot get the advanced laser. If you dont get the advanced laser then you should only be hip shooting at point blank range.
    Also understand that as good as the upgraded GD-7F is from the hip - its still not as good as aimed gun.

2 Its a gun bested suited to inside 30-35 yards even when aimed. Most killing in the game occus in that range - but if you like longer distances consider the Razer or even the Merc.
  15. Raidashi

So i was playing last night, and it seemed everything was fine. I started to chill out about the gun, since i would on average at least go 1:1, sometimes more if i went ninja assassin mode and chose only targets of opportunity. Then it started happening again. It felt like the gun just wasnt getting a kill with a full clip (and i was having to use my rebel), and firing at med range was a silly waste of ammo. Then I dumped a clip into an unaware VS engineer repairing a turret, he turned around and killed me with a shotgun before i could pull out my pistol. I stopped for the night and went to bed.

It just seemed that as the night wore on from then on, it just kept getting more and more futile. Went from good, to just plain bad. I've had this happen on my VS LA (who is a hardcore bombadeer, runs with C4, grenade bandoleer, and grenade launcher), where during a 3 way mash (where people wernt rendering properly to begin with) NONE of my explosives were dealing damage by the end of the night. Noob tube: THUMP! Direct hit, gets killed instead. C4: drops it over group of 5 guys + MAX, detonates it right on target, nothing. I dealth with that for about an hour before i left.

Today i'll see about getting some video...