What is the longest range setup for Vanu LA?

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by Jykil, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Jykil

I just started playing this weekend and I'm having a blast with LA. I love using the jetpack to flank and get shots on enemy sunderer spawns. The problem is I either end up so close to them that I die quickly, or I'm too far away to effectively kill anyone before a medic heals them.

So how does LA effectively deal with this situation? I'd like something where I can take out a person before they realize they're under attack, and then kill the medic that tries to res them.

Right now I'm running the Pulsar C with 4x scope. Would it be a noticeable improvement to get the foregrip, compensator, and HV rounds? From what I've seen online I'm not so sure. (I don't really need decreased bullet travel time, and nobody actually seems sure that HV increases damage. And I definitely don't want more recoil)

What about a slug shotgun? Is that better for sniping than any carbine setup could be? Nova or Thanatos?

I've also seen some people saying the Solstice SF is the way to go. I hated the basic Solstice starting weapon, is the SF better than the Pulsar C for sniping?

(Please no "go play infiltrator" comments, thanks. I'm just trying to figure out which medium-long range setup is best with the jetpack, not trying to 1-shot people from a mile away.)
  2. Wolfwood82

Right now for long range I think the compensator and foregrip are your best options. I'm not as familiar with the Vanu carbines but you might want to pay attention to refire rate and damage. Check those supposedly useless bars on the weapon stats chart to see what has better damage and lower refire rate on your rifles and apply the compensator, x4 or even x6 scope, and foregrip to that weapon. I'm not familiar with the HV rounds at all but you might want to try them out after you've set yourself up with everything else. My best luck for long range has been with soft point ammo though.

I'd also suggest looking into picking up the underbarrel grenade launcher. Clusters of enemy infantry turn into kill sprees with just one grenade and it's range is decent once you become familiar with the arc. Can't beat one shot kill either, the only problem is you are limited to 2 shots with it no matter what other certs you take up.
  3. Sjael

I predominantly play a Vanu LA, and I like to do it from a pretty long range too. I'm of the opinion that if I can fly up to these awesome spots, why can't I damn well shoot from them too. :p

My current setup is the Pulsar C, with Advanced Forward Grip, High Velocity ammo and 3.4x scope.

Allow me to explain.
    -AFG I find reduces horizontal spread noticeably, even with a VS weapon that I see people claim a lot have no horizontal recoil. It also means you can do moderate bursts to a much longer range, which means more damage faster.
    -High Velocity ammo, even if it doesn't do more damage at range, means you don't have to lead as far on distant targets, so you won't fire as many ineffective rounds if the target unexpectedly changes course.
    -3.4 scope. Preference really. I don't need all that much zoom, but it's nice to have a super accurate scope for longer ranges.
    -No compensator. Vertical recoil is easily manageable by just pulling down against it while firing, and I don't think that is a worthwhile change for having worse hip-firing accuracy in those times when you do need it.

The Pulsar C... I consulted that chart that's floating around, and it had the lowest time to kill at 75m. From what I can tell it has a similar cone of fire and spread and all as everything else, but does more damage per round, and possibly has less ranged damage dropoff. More damage per round is excellent for super long range, when you're often firing one or two super-accurate shots at a time to avoid spread, you want to be doing as much damage as possible with each one.
  4. Scrangos

5. Lazaruz

Pulsar-C is the best carbine for range and is very reliable, but pick a shotty with slugs if you want to try some semi-sniper action. Two head shots drop people at 200-220 meters, just wish there was more variety to the scopes.

I use the Pandora with 4x simple cross hair scope, slugs and laser dot for those surprising CQC scenarios.
    Also, ammo belt is a must. At least for me.
  6. Blitzkrieg

For long range, stay with the Pulsar C. Get High Veolocity rounds, a compensator a Forward Grip and the 4x sight, you're good to go.
  7. Angelus359

seems like everyone likes the pulsar C

My friend got one because he wanted more damage per clip on his engineer
  8. Adhoc

This is my current long range setup.

Pulsar C
    HV ammo
    Compensator
    Advanced Foregrip
    2x Holographic reflex sight
    3.4x optics w/ red dot
    NS/NV scope

It's a powerful little setup, and really good for when you find perches. Don't get in close though if you can help it, it's really not strong up close.
  9. XANi

I got Pulsar C and VX6-7 comparing them in CQC Pulsar C is more forgiving when you miss few shots (VX6-7 unloads very fast, serpent even faster) and allows you to "kill more stuff" before reloading (same amount of bullets, more damage) but TTK with VX is generally much better
  10. yama

I went with a Nova shotgun and slug ammo.
    Extended clip for good measure and a 4x scope.
  11. Ghoest

12. wwwyzzerrdd

yo im looking at that gun chart and under the recoil column it says pulsar c recoil is <-- = --> does that mean it has no horizontal recoil?