What is the general attitude towards the Hailstorm SMG?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Dualice, Nov 15, 2014.

1. Dualice

I guess this question is for those who main TR, but any ideas of the community's impressions of it would be appreciated.

I've auraxiumed both Vanu SMGs, the NS7 PDW, and most recently the Armistice (which was a blast). Got the Hailstorm soon after and initially thought, "aah this is okay..." - seemed a bit less jittery than the Armistice, 60 round mag is handy I guess. However our relationship eventually soured and at around 800 kills I've had to take a break from it. The NS7 was slow but it at least had accuracy and max damage range going for it. With the Failstorm, regardless of what I come up against, I'm pretty sure my foe will have a faster theoretical TTK. That's not to say I can't kill stuff with it, it just takes so damn long to drop a target!

As you can tell, I've grown to dislike it. It feels like it has nothing going for it besides its high capacity. So, am I missing something? Or do the rest of y'all generally find it rather lacklustre?
    • Up x 1
  2. gibstorm

Best gun in the game
    • Up x 3
  3. QuantumSerpent

I love it for running into enemy lines with my LA. The 60 round magazine lets me spray all over the place from hip fire and still kill people, so it works really well for trying to open a gap. That said, I've never actually tried anything else except in VR.
  4. NoctD

Time you took up NC instead, and go auraxium the Cyclone!
    • Up x 2
  5. Mustarde

Worst SMG in the game, bar none. Besides the TS2 inquisitor, this was the most painful auraxium I've ever gone through.
    • Up x 8
  6. Dualice

*EDIT* Thing is the LA for me is all about quick kills, and practically every other weapon available to the class will kill faster. It is even worse on Infiltrator, where close-quarters options are even slimmer, and fast kills are imperative to stay alive in CQ.

Y'know that is quite tempting! :) I trialled it on my lowbie NC character recently, and even without attachments it wrecked.
  7. LordTankT9

Stay with Armistice, RPM is the king.
  8. SpartanPsycho

The attitude? Failstorm
    I absolutely hate this weapon. I got the purple medal and then gave it the finger. Never gonna touch it again unless it gets buffed or something.
    • Up x 1
  9. SteamBoiler

This

There have been many more situations where I wish I had the armistice over the failstorm. The hailstorm does have it moments where you can mow down a whole group of bad guys. But these are few and far between. I have run into far more situations where I lost a fight simply because the other guy had a faster TTK gun then me.

This is the same reason why I run BRRT over Extended Mags on the chaingun. I find myself in far more situations needing the BRRT then I do extended magazines. Though I wish I could run extended magazines all the time, it's just not as effective.

I really do like large magazines, but what good is extra bullets if you die before expending them all?

RPM is king.
    • Up x 1
  10. Houndsigil

It's bad. Really bad. Worst SMG by a significant margin I'd say, even after they kinda sorta tried to buff it with a couple weird changes.

I just use NS SMGs on TR.
  11. BobSanders123

Piss. Absolute piss.
  12. FrozenCustard

Armistice all the way. What's the point in having 60 rounds when your TTK is by a fairly significantly larger margin? There is a reason it is called the failstorm, because everything is better than it and I highly regret ever pumping 1000 certs into it and I wish that it was revamped to not be a 125 dmg smg because we already have two to pick from.
  13. Fellgnome

I can't believe I spent SC on this thing, such a waste. I was a noob and had 5k SC from some GPU deal that I spent a little too early when I didn't understand. I also have the striker. :/

I've opened a ticket but they wouldn't refund either of them.
  14. Dualice

Very good point.

Decreased damage drop-off or increased ADS accuracy or something might be enough just to give it something that actually makes it a worthwhile investment. I'm all for faction-specific gear but I get the feeling I should've gone with the MKV instead of this!

D'you remember what these changes were?
  15. Leftconsin

I have to say I have 1730 kills with it. It was my fastest auraxium when I finished it. I bought it for the fact that it had so much damage per magazine and I wasn't disappointed with that. After I finished I kept it on a few classes for use as my workhorse SMG.
    • Up x 1
  16. Paragon Exile

It gargles balls.
  17. AdmiralArcher

most people either have it and kinda like it.....or they have it and they think it is the golden turd of the game.

i think its easily one of the worst guns in the whole entire game.....but i also have the striker .......i dont have the inquisitor tho....but all other SMGs outperform it i believe....someone had some charts up a while back that supported that.

the armistice is a good SMG...i like the PDW tho, but the ARM is great
  18. Zerozero

Personally I find no point of using the hailstorm over the armistice. The larger magazine doesn't help much when it's so inaccurate and has such a long TTK. Have to be really up close to be able to kill with it. One of the most boring weapons I've auraxiumed.
  19. Houndsigil

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/game-update-notes-april-16th.182835/

PDW-16 Hailstorm
    • Max horizontal recoil dropped from 0.35 to 0.331
    • Recoil recovery increased from 18 to 20. Now tied with the NS-7 PDW for best in class.
    • Bullet speed increased from 335 to 360
    Why they thought this would help it IDK, they make some very, very odd changes to weapon balance sometimes. Still way too high horizontal recoil to use the buff to recoil recovery. It's like they tried to make it a good burst firing weapon.
  20. Mebsvernon

Planetside 2's weapon balancers:

[IMG]
    • Up x 4