What is MAX Shields role?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Chiss, May 11, 2013.

1. Chiss

I'm genuinely curious....

It has 10,000HP at max level, which means that a carbines doing 143 damage (standard) will break it in less than 3 clips. This means 3 people shooting you with a carbine will break your shield in about 2 seconds. Now imagine trying to push a 'well defended position' with 10-20 enemies. It will break in a split second.

In a small engagement, such as 1v1, using it is just giving the enemy an opportunity to throw C4 at you, while you cannot return fire... and in this situation, isn't it better to just shoot them?

Using it against ESF's is useless, as noseguns break the shield in ~1 second, and splash from rocket pods hitting the ground around you still damages you. Regardless, I'm virtually never attacked by an ESF while in MAX.

Against tanks, its decent if the tank shells hit you directly... but any smart driver will just target the ground next to you, or a wall behind you, bypassing your shield.

What role is this thing meant to provide? Am i missing some great use for it?
    • Up x 6
  2. Jrv

Requires some real solid coordination between MAXes. One MAX is the tank, and absorbs all the damage while another MAX shoots and uses the shield MAX as cover. Then, when the first MAX shield is spent, or the other MAX is reloading, they switch. The big thing is protection while reloading. The shield should last long enough for a hacksaw reload at least. Hacksaws are spent in a couple of seconds, there are large gaps of vulnerability. It basically allows you to hold you ground for much longer. You're still going to want charge in most situations.
    • Up x 2
  3. Klondik3

Wow I can't believe devs can be this stupid. Shield is needed for large 80v80 fights, not small 5v5s where you can easily flank your opponents.

If its gonna have just 10,000HP at max level then at least make it ricochet bullets.
  4. Shockwave44

What it really does is keep you in the fight instead of needing to use the charge. Can also be used as an offensive weapon to back someone into a corner or wait when someone starts reloading and then shoot.

• Up x 6
  5. Total_Overkill

Last time i was on the test server the shield could take 20+ AP Tank shells... did it change ?
    • Up x 1
  6. Littleman

Because score of people shoot at an unshielded max already, instagibbing it, instead of running away like usual.
  7. Sifer2

You have to admit it still probably has more use than Lockdown. One let's you safely close the distance assuming a whole squad isn't firing on you at once. The other makes you stand still so you can be grenade spammed, and instagibbed by rockets/tanks.

Two seconds can be a long time in CQC. That said considering this is ScatMax were talking about your just as well off just charging into the room an instagibbing everyone. The shield is almost a downgrade from charge for a ScatMax since your actually giving people time to realize how screwed they are an run away.
  8. Chiss

@First Video;
    ... if you are using ZOE while getting shot at, you are a complete moron.
    That messy fight of crap is completely irrelevant.

@Second Video;
    Dumb players trying to shoot at MAX with Shield up while they're on their own (and clearly wont break it).... what more do i need to say?
    Putting up shield just gives them an opportunity to run away, reload or throw C4 at you.

These videos just show people being stupid and mucking around.
  9. Chiss

Explosives (tank shells) don't do that much damage. One carbine clip does more.
  10. Jrv

So you're saying it has a fear factor? I think the least it does is absorb fire if you charge and either scare them away or allow other teammates to get the kills. They either shoot at your teammates and get gunned down by a scatmax, or they shoot at the MAX and get gunned down by teammates.
    • Up x 1
  11. WalrusJones

It would probably be useful for people using nanoregen-armor, or for pacing yourself in a headon fight with a tank (Deflect two tank shells, return fire with a sparrow, Deflect tank shells, return fire, ETC.)
  12. Chiss

If Lockdown effects Bursters at all, then Lockdown is extremely strong.
  13. Chiss

The tank just has to aim at the ground beside you, and your shield wont block it.
  14. HadesR

I think by it's concept it's more aimed at being used in conjunction with other Max's / Infantry and less as a strong solo ability.

Whether that's the right direction to take .. I don't know
    • Up x 1
  15. WalrusJones

It denies them an instant kill, and allows you to take cover to live another day.

It will be particularly useful against ESF rocketpodders.
  16. Jrv

Flak armor, my good man. Have you seen our anti-tank weaponry? You wont kill a MAX with flak 5 fast enough if he's smart. It gives him a lot more survivability against tanks and allows him to even fight back for a bit, something the other empires couldn't dream of doing.
    • Up x 1
  17. Total_Overkill

AP shells kill a MAX in 2 hits... you have a shield that can tank 20+ ... but our glorious topic creator cant seem to find a use for it.

Id love to be able to troll a deployed Prowler tank column with one of those!
    • Up x 1
  18. Total_Overkill

ESF podders, defeated
    Tanks, defeated
    HA Rockets, defeated
    Engi Turret, defeated
    C4, defeated
    Liberators, defeated
    Nadelaunchers, Furys, and Bulldogs, Defeated
    Bullets, 5 Carbine mags to break shield!

Clearly this is to underpowered for NC!
    • Up x 1
  19. Chiss

Cant you read? I've clearly stated twice, that if the tank just shoots the ground next to you, or behind you, the shield does not block the damage.
  20. Chiss

Tanks, shoot ground next to max, bypasses shield.
    HA rockets, shoot ground next to max, bypasses shield.
    Engi turret, shoot at shield, it will break very fast.
    C4, just wait till its not infront of max to detonate, instant kill
    Libs, shield will do absolutely nothing unless you guess the right direction to block
    Nadelaunchers/etc, same as other explosives.
    Bullets, 2.3 carbine clips (30 round at 143 damage) to break.

You are wrong on all accounts. Stop being stupid.

Try using the thing on test server, then tell me its good.
    • Up x 2